Shall i get a new passport in the UK

I'm due back to the UK in March for a week to get another METV, the plan is to apply for an Non imm O later this year. Anyway, my passport is only 2.5 years old but has quite a few Cambodia stamps already, probably half full. Just wondering while I'm back in the UK whether its worthwhile to get a new passport? i.e. so it looks cleaner. This will be my final METV and then the border runs are not needed anymore. No issues at all ever on entry or exit but i want to avoid any issues on my return to Bangkok airport in April.

Is it worth getting a new passport? It's about £180 to pick up in one day

Many will say why bother. Personally I think its a good idea. I have renewed an oz one in bkk and it was a lot more than if I had done it in oz. Also I have read news articles in au papers of folk having trouble flights to Bali if slightest damage, and I mean slight to pp.
Personally have noticed change at Saigon. io looking at my passport in detail. Not for stamps just looking where pages are fixed to spine etc
I agree if any damage to get a new one. Mine is perfect condition and has enough pages left for a few years, its just whether getting a new one to get rid of all the stamps is worthwhile, also will mean i could probably go another 10 years without replacing again

Once you get the Non-O, the previous stamps don't matter. It's just making it to that point.

I think if it was me I would go for the new one anyway, why not get it done within one day rather than having to go through the grief of renewing from Thailand at a later date? (Unless you plan to go back to UK periodically). 

7 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
1 hour ago, BigT73 said:
Based on marriage? if you dont mind me asking

Retirement over 50

Ahh golden 50!  if your getting the retirement visa  and staying here fulltime I personally I would get a new passport.  A fresh start before your non o and plenty of pages if you want to travel around asia once your here fulltime.  Its more costly and a pain to get a new one here.

• Like 2

If you're already over 50, best is to get an O-A, otherwise it is OK to get an METV. I am not sure why a new passport is required. With an METV, you can fly to KL and then to Penang and then take a train to cross the border. Guaranteed no problem. 

Edited by onera1961
  • Like 1

Correct me if i'm wrong but even with a new passport immigration are still able to see your entries to Thailand on their computer system, or am i missing something?

I have 2 valid passports and am sometimes asked why i'm showing a different one while entering than the last time i left.

I have a Non-O ( if that's a factor? ).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

If you're already over 50, best is to get an O-A

That advice is not really pertinent for the OP.

You may not be familiar with the O-A process for the London Embassy. The document collation, certification and application process are not straightforward and would take even the most efficient applicant over a week.

2 hours ago, chrisinth said:

Once you get the Non-O, the previous stamps don't matter. It's just making it to that point.

My experience too. My passport is about half full with older tourist visa entries (mostly triples), and more recently non o/a and extensions. Never had an issue, so while I agree it looks better, and in the UK is the best place to get it done, I personally don't think I'd bother. 

1 hour ago, Briggsy said:

That advice is not really pertinent for the OP.

You may not be familiar with the O-A process for the London Embassy. The document collation, certification and application process are not straightforward and would take even the most efficient applicant over a week.

No I am not. But I wonder how long does it take to convert Tourist to Non-O and then extension inside Thailand? O-A is still the best option, though I am changing my views towards 800K in the bank method due to strengthening of baht unabated. 

A new-passport does not guarantee no problems at a Bangkok airport, though might help.  A detour to enter Thailand by-land (Penang / Train) would be the sure-thing way to enter, and additional-costs for the detour offset by not having to buy the new passport.  A rejected-entry on a long-hop is a big gamble, even if the odds of problems occurring are small.

3 hours ago, JaiLai said:

Correct me if i'm wrong but even with a new passport immigration are still able to see your entries to Thailand on their computer system, or am i missing something?

I have 2 valid passports and am sometimes asked why i'm showing a different one while entering than the last time i left.

I have a Non-O ( if that's a factor? ).

So why do the land border immigration spend 15 minutes paging back and forth through my passport when I leave/enter? (always non-o)

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

So why do the land border immigration spend 15 minutes paging back and forth through my passport when I leave/enter? (always non-o)

I assume they are looking to see if you have been anywhere "interesting" from a security perspective?  Just a guess.  A new passport definitely saves time at that point - nothing to look at for them.

21 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I'm talking about entering at BKK airport ( which last time i checked was not a land border ), this is where the OP said he'd be entering.

I can't answer why the IO would spend 15 minutes going through your PP, i'm surprised you've never asked them?

Maybe you look dodgy / maybe he likes looking at stamps / maybe he enjoys making you worry / maybe he likes you and is getting wood behind his desk, who knows......

• Like 2

i think its purely timewasting, otherwise they could stamp everyone through in minutes. i asked border run bus driver if the border ever stop someone re entering, he said no. That's a friendly land border
  • Like 1

If you're already over 50, best is to get an O-A, otherwise it is OK to get an METV. I am not sure why a new passport is required. With an METV, you can fly to KL and then to Penang and then take a train to cross the border. Guaranteed no problem. 
I won't be in the UK when i turn 50 so can't get the O-A

A new-passport does not guarantee no problems at a Bangkok airport, though might help.  A detour to enter Thailand by-land (Penang / Train) would be the sure-thing way to enter, and additional-costs for the detour offset by not having to buy the new passport.  A rejected-entry on a long-hop is a big gamble, even if the odds of problems occurring are small.
Flight already booked direct heathrow to Bangkok which is one of the reasons I'm toying with a new passport

22 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
2 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Flight already booked direct heathrow to Bangkok which is one of the reasons I'm toying with a new passport

I read some of posts but bit boring. Given your doubt, why did you not post prior to booking direct to bkk. Your UK, visa exempt to Vietnam. Flight from Saigon to bkk if refused entry has minor ramifications compared to UK to bkk. 

Already booked flight so why post? New passport will not help. History for flights into Thailand on computer. I think new passport helps for border entries.

16 hours ago, BigT73 said:

Its more costly and a pain to get a new one here.

It is actually cheaper to get it here - £128.51 for the larger (more pages) version.

However you do need to make 2 trips to Trendy in Bangkok but if you use the bus and BTS that will set  you back less than 500 baht plus lunch.....

I did this last month and took less than 2 weeks for the new passport to get back to Bangkok.

If I had been going to the UK in time however I would also have had it done there. Did not realise the same day pickup was such a premium.

11 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
13 hours ago, JackThompson said:

If you must fly in, maybe a new PP would improve the odds somewhat.  

Of course, have lots of cash to show (over 20K Baht - maybe 100K worth). 

A flight-out within 30-days to somewhere to show might also help - I know the entry is for 60, but some IOs have forced people to buy one within 30 days, since some seem to think 60-day permitted-stays for tourists are evil. 

Worst-case, be sure and have payment available to buy a flight back, to minimize any time in detention, if all the above fails.  The "plenty of cash" to show could double for this purpose.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, onera1961 said:

No I am not. But I wonder how long does it take to convert Tourist to Non-O and then extension inside Thailand? O-A is still the best option, though I am changing my views towards 800K in the bank method due to strengthening of baht unabated. 

Last September I entered with a SETV.  I then converted it to the Non-O without any problems.  For me being a US citizen there was a lot more work needed to get the Non-O in the USA.  Here in Thailand just a little paperwork at the immigration office in Mae Sai, wait for a couple of weeks then back to pick up my Non-O visa.  From there I applied for my retirement extension within 30 days of the expiration of the Non-O visa.

4 hours ago, topt said:

It is actually cheaper to get it here - £128.51 for the larger (more pages) version.

However you do need to make 2 trips to Trendy in Bangkok but if you use the bus and BTS that will set  you back less than 500 baht plus lunch.....

I did this last month and took less than 2 weeks for the new passport to get back to Bangkok.

If I had been going to the UK in time however I would also have had it done there. Did not realise the same day pickup was such a premium.

Plus you need to make a colour photocopy of EVERY page of your old pp.  This can set you back over 500 baht if you are paying 20 baht a copy.

BUT I think one of the copy shops downstairs only charges 10 baht a colour copy.

3 hours ago, rak sa_ngop said:

Plus you need to make a colour photocopy of EVERY page of your old pp.  This can set you back over 500 baht if you are paying 20 baht a copy.

BUT I think one of the copy shops downstairs only charges 10 baht a colour copy.

Yes that is a pain but I had "conveniently" forgotten that as I did that at home..........

Still cheaper however then sames day in UK

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Takes 30 mins plus travel time

Don't you have to have the appt am and wait 4 hours otherwise if pm collection is next day from memory?

11 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
22 minutes ago, topt said:
Don't you have to have the appt am and wait 4 hours otherwise if pm collection is next day from memory?

Not what the .gov website says

Ok so you are going for the renew online rather than paper which is what I had remembered. 30 minutes is great :thumbsup:

• Like 1