Visa question

Hi

A bit of historic background 

2018 - 6 VE approx 10-20 days 

7th Dec 2018 - 1 SETV + Re-Entry in Jan 2019 + 30 extension

Current Tourism Visa expires 6th March and i plan to go to Saigon for work for 2 nights from 5th-7th (late evening) March.  I plan to apply for SETV in Saigon on the 6th in the morning and get the Passport on 7th PM.  

In addition, i plan to open a thai account in BKK with UOB and deposit 50k using Tourism Visa.  I have extended my apartment stay till May 5th now and have an confirmation letter stating this. 

I will  purchase a single ticket to London on 5th May.  I aim to bring all 3 documents with me on my return to BKK,

My question, will i be allowed back in based on consective SETV just leaving for a few days?

Edited by pantsonfire

Nobody can tell you

If you want to be sure you have to enter at a land border (other than Poipet). If you fly your odds at BKK are probably better than at DMK

A multiple months rental contract and a Thai bank account won't help you, "tourists" stay at hotels and carry cash ????

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1

Depends on the immigration officers mood that day.

I'm going through a similar decision as you as at the end of next month I plan on going to Hanoi for a few days for a visa. My visa history is more extensive then yours. I've got 2 tourist visas a year the past 5 years before coming back to the USA in the summer with 2 visa exempt entries in that 5 years. I've basically been doing 6months in Thailand 6 at home with last year being 8 months. 

I've narrowed the options to 

1.Fly to Chiang Mai then to Bkk since Chiang Mai is said to be more friendly

2. buy a ticket to Laos and bus over the border and then fly to BKK 

3. Cross my fingers and pray they let me in

I dont work here and spend quite a bit of money that I've made in America here over the years but immigration can screw you at any time. It seems to get worse every year. Whatever you do make sure to carry 20k baht cash with u. Even then they can put u in detention until you get flown back to where you came from and just say they think you're working here. Its a literal crapshoot. 

Edited by lovesthespicy

The rule of the thumb is keep on doing whatever you're doing unless stopped and denied in the airport. Always ensure that you fly from Asia into Thailand (cheaper and if denied they will send you back to the last boarding airport). If denied start using land border (avoid Poipet).  That's all people can suggest here. Nobody has any inside knowledge of under what circumstances a person will be denied entry into Thailand. Close to 100,000 tourist visits Thailand per day. If they deny 0.1% people, that will be approximately 100 per day. Land borders are the safest (except Poipet) so far. Now take your chance. If you're unlucky, you will be in that 100. Otherwise everything is honky dory. Easiest will be to fly to KL and then to Penang (or directly to Penang) and take a train. That's the most modern convenience you'll get while entering through a land border.

Edited by onera1961
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, onera1961 said:

Always ensure that you fly from Asia into Thailand

I disagree with this advice. Flying in from another S E Asian country or Hong Kong, particularly after only a day or two out seems to correlate with being pulled, questioned and possibly denied. I would suggest avoiding flying in from Phnom Penh, KL, etc. if you have the wrong profile. I would avoid such short trips if possible and use land borders if feasible.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Briggsy said:

I disagree with this advice. Flying in from another S E Asian country or Hong Kong, particularly after only a day or two out seems to correlate with being pulled, questioned and possibly denied. I would suggest avoiding flying in from Phnom Penh, KL, etc. if you have the wrong profile. I would avoid such short trips if possible and use land borders if feasible.

My Profile is that iam of UK ciziten and prior to my current SETV i have never applied for one before.  

1 minute ago, pantsonfire said:

My Profile is that iam of UK ciziten and prior to my current SETV i have never applied for one before.  

With all those visa exempts + a quick trip to Ho Chi Minh for a new visa and then fly back to Thailand = you fit the profile for possible questioning.

What is your age?

3 minutes ago, pantsonfire said:

My Profile is that iam of UK ciziten

Are you sure about that?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pantsonfire said:

Iam 40 and yes iam British Passport

There is a possibility you will be questioned. There is a small possibility that if you are questioned, you may be denied entry.

You state you will have an SETV. This is much better than visa exempt.

Carry the equivalent of 20,000 Baht in any currency.

Have a ticket back to the UK. (You state you have not got one).

Choose a line with a male Immigration Officer.

Have an answer ready for the question, "What you do in Thailand [sic]?"

6 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

There is a possibility you will be questioned. There is a small possibility that if you are questioned, you may be denied entry.

You state you will have an SETV. This is much better than visa exempt.

Carry the equivalent of 20,000 Baht in any currency.

Have a ticket back to the UK. (You state you have not got one).

Choose a line with a male Immigration Officer.

Have an answer ready for the question, "What you do in Thailand [sic]?"

I plan to get my 2nd SETV this year in Saigon, the first one from UK

I will carry a bank statement in Thailand with balance of 50k or is cash better?

I will have a copy of my return ticket to UK

I will have my address stay 

My reason for being in BKK is to be with my gf. 

1 hour ago, pantsonfire said:

In addition, i plan to open a thai account in BKK with UOB and deposit 50k using Tourism Visa.  I have extended my apartment stay till May 5th now and have an confirmation letter stating this. 

I will  purchase a single ticket to London on 5th May.  I aim to bring all 3 documents with me on my return to BKK,

My question, will i be allowed back in based on consective SETV just leaving for a few days?

Yes, almost certainly, but no one can give you a definitive answer. People rarely get denied entry with a Tourist Visa.

If you are questioned don’t show your Thai bank account. Tourists don’t require bank accounts. IO’s would be looking for hotel booking/s, onward flight and possibly 20K baht (or foreign currency equivalent) in cash or travellers cheques. The things a typical tourist would have.

Not sure an apartment rental contract would help. Again it’s not typical of a tourist.

46 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Even Saigon other side of Cambodia is 90 mins. Where do you suggest they fly in from? Tokyo? Certainly agree with very good point you make. Time out. Never understood why people fly to say Saigon for a setv and try and do it in 2 or 3 days. 

Edited by DrJack54
Error

20 minutes ago, pantsonfire said:

I will carry a bank statement in Thailand with balance of 50k or is cash better?

I will have a copy of my return ticket to UK

Cash is better, I always have 20 crisp, new, 1000 baht notes in my bag (if asked), and normally the same again in new-ish £10 and £20 notes.