Dog shots

One of our temple dogs, a male about 8-9 years old, must have had a traumatic experience as a puppy. He is afraid of people and won't go near anyone but my wife and me. It took about 3-4 months of patience and good food before he would let us touch him. Now, we can pet him and he lets me check for ticks, but he is very nervous even after years of knowing us.

The problem is, he has never had any shots. He gets Heartguard Plus every month and is wormed once a year, but no shots. The other dogs, I put in the pickup and take to the vets, no problem, but I think that would be too traumatic for this dog and I'm afraid he might bite me if I tried to pick him up. I've tried to give him a bath, but he won't allow it. He's afraid of just about everything.

I'd like to know if I should just forget about the shots, or if someone has a suggestion how to get him vaccinated?  

Important to do the shots as the dogs is getting older. Puppies and older dogs are obviously much weaker.

Do it yourself. Buy shots from the vet and do it. Either that or ask the vet, or the government vet if live close to their office to visit your house. Just muzzle him. The traumatic experience the dog will have getting the shots will be less traumatic than dying from disease.

Rabies, local municipality worker may be able to go to your house and do it. Chances are he has had rabies shots in the past if he was a temple dog. But definitely do. 

3 in 1 shot plus rabies. Over in a minute. 

Edit: if don't have a muzzle, just wrap a piece of material around the muzzle like the vets do. If cant give something as important as shots due to fear of biting, then re-home with someone who can or have the dog put down. 

Archived