Building a house in Kalasin - Natural Gas?

MisterBKK

Hi,

I would like to run my clothes dryer, my backup generator, and the burners on my stove using natural gas. Could I use a tank for natural gas outside the house? Any help appreciated. My questions would be - is there a service for filling up natural gas? Can I find the appliances that run on gas?

What do most people do? All electric? What do you run a backup generator on?

Thanks!

There is only LPG Liquid petroleum gas which is propane, go look at local supplier for appliance, you'll only find stove and maybe ovens that use gas, generator is petrol or bigger ones diesel, gas clothes dryer are commercial sized only.

Household ovens with gas stove tops are electric most of the time, but commercial ovens like pizza ovens are available but don't fit so well with home kitchen aesthetic 

LPGs are delivered in 7 or 15KG  size tank. most house just run a rubber hose from the tank to the stove/oven. some restaurant connect multiple tanks together and run a hard line metal pipe to the stoves from a tank room outside, building code requires leak sensor and shutoff valve I think. 

If the OP wants to see professional gas installation examples he might visit the annual Architect Expo held in Bangkok the first week in May 2019. Think about the professional gas installations of a Buriram Robinson food court restaurants. Think about modern restaurants in large new hotels in Bangkok. There are real companies that, for a price, can install safe gas for cooking. Any Teka appliance dealer can sell you a free standing range that has gas burners and a gas oven. I know of more than one Buriram Village home with gas large tank water heaters similar to a gas water heater in the USA.  Gas installations and gas water heaters are not in the same price range as a multi point electrical water heater. Or even not in the same price range as a Stiebel Eltron electric tank water heater like I have seen in Buriram. Anything is possible in Thailand for a price. 

Buriram Stiebel Eltron on demand hot water tank Thailand.jpg

Cooking with LPG (15 kg gas bottle).

Of course in ventilated space not closed room kitchen.

Backup generator? We have none, but if, I would use a small petrol operated one.

For heavy duty there seem to be Diesel operated ones.

How bad are outages in your area?

Here at our village is has become so rare that the effort would not pay.

Warm water with one of the simple electric shower heaters.

Currently long for cold water only :smile:

Don't try to swim against the flow in Isan.

Gives a headache only.

Too few sources, too few competent craftsman etc.

If you want to do something about energy saving you could think about solar power, hot water from sun etc.

Thanks for the replies. I especially liked "go with the flow". I posted because I am definitely going against the flow here. I really wanted a backup generator (maybe unwarranted) for blackouts. That snowballed to include the stove and the clothes dryer. 

So maybe my initial thought was wrong. Do I need a backup generator? How often is power out?

What is the cost for a months worth of electricity in Isaan? I heard it is quite low (compared to USA).

Thanks all!

PS - I will post soon on a few other topics of concern; Septic tank (or not), Ethernet wiring, video cameras, etc.

5 minutes ago, MisterBKK said:

What is the cost for a months worth of electricity in Isaan? I heard it is quite low (compared to USA).

A unit (kWh) costs about 4.2 Baht (depending on amount consumed) plus a small fixed amount of 32 Baht or so.

4.2 Baht ~ 14 US cent (12 Euro cent).

Price is equal nationwide, no Isaan discount.

12 Euro cent is about half the price that I would pay in Germany.

Our bill (house with 3 to 4 people) is in the range of about 1000 to 2500/month depending on season. Main factor of course is use of AC.

Single people in condo might come out much lower, people in Phuket pool villas will have a multitude.

In the end, who can tell what YOUR bill will be.

1 bed house in Isaan with 3 air cons, bedroom one on every night for 7-9 hours, plus have shop with ice cream box, blenders, fans, fridge but cooking is by gas, have electric shower, 5-6 times a day usage, fridge, tv, computer and the usual bits. Our bill is between 1100 - 1800 baht a month depending on the season Have lots of blackouts, most for maybe 10 seconds when they switch over, some for maybe up to 1 hr. Very rare we get long ones, but maybe once or twice a year that could last most of the day

On 2/24/2019 at 11:48 AM, MisterBKK said:

Thanks for the replies. I especially liked "go with the flow". I posted because I am definitely going against the flow here. I really wanted a backup generator (maybe unwarranted) for blackouts. That snowballed to include the stove and the clothes dryer. 

So maybe my initial thought was wrong. Do I need a backup generator? How often is power out?

Thanks all!

PS - I will post soon on a few other topics of concern; Septic tank (or not), Ethernet wiring, video cameras, etc.

I would put water filtration as number #1 with storage tanks, followed by mosquito control, air flow and filtration, shade. As for electric, maybe very large UPS's on everything expensive before buying a generator. Gas tank in kitchen with really nice gas stove (German).  Driers would be electric and low priority. Make sure your CCTV system also has a UPS and earth ground because you will lose cameras during electrical storms. And off site storage that can't be defeated. 

nothing will be grounded properly so you will have to do that yourself.  Thais don't understand what a ground is for.            

1 hour ago, Bandersnatch said:

https://www.facebook.com/greengearthailand/ Sell gas powered generators

42289127_700973440277762_8626633266478186496_n.jpg.eeadd28ae28cbf28a00ae733332fa1ba.jpg

LPG cans are heavily subsidized for cooking, used to be same price for automotive use and cooking, but they seem to have different price now, maybe even illegal to use lpg intended for cooking/home use in cars, but a generator such as this is so niche it probably flies under the radar, 

• 5 months later...

On 2/26/2019 at 3:50 AM, NCC1701A said:

water filtration as number #1 with storage tanks, followed by mosquito control, air flow and filtration

NCC1701A - what do you suggest for those three? Water filtration, Mosquito control, and Air filtration - these are the three items that are new to me.

Water filtration - I was planning on a well. Sounds like I need to filter it.

Mosquito Control - I figured screens on all doors and windows. Is there more to it than that?

Air Filtration - Good one. With all the sugar cane burning, the air quality is pretty bad. What do you do?

Thanks

12 hours ago, MisterBKK said:

Water filtration - I was planning on a well. Sounds like I need to filter it.

Mosquito Control - I figured screens on all doors and windows. Is there more to it than that?

Air Filtration - Good one. With all the sugar cane burning, the air quality is pretty bad. What do you do?

My thoughts:-

Do you have the option for city water, is it reliable? I have a good well but the water is hard, so use it only for watering the garden, we use city water (very clean) for inside the house, bill is only 100 Baht a month, not worth using the hard water and having to repair the damage it causes, drinking water we buy at 15 Baht a large bottle, we use about three a week.

Screens on doors and windows work great if you want the house to be the same temperature & humidity as outside? cross breezes and cooling winds don't exist 10 months of the year and if you have screens they get blocked anyway.

When planning the garden be careful with planting, the sun can be your friend keeping mossies at bay, its just hard to get the balance right, got to keep everything cut back and minimise where they breed.

We use 2 air filters in the house, in the cool season we open the windows early in the morning and close them when the outside temperature exceeds the inside temp - or when PM levels rise, the air is ridiculously dirty in Thailand, we live 20 Km outside of the city and there is no industry, yet the air can be bad, some of it is down to burning mostly just lousy quality of air, no idea why it is as bad as it is!

Good luck.

The OP could do the right thing and buy and install proper septic tanks for toilets and urinals. Any store sells these in any good size community. If his builder acts confused on a black or grey septic tank then he needs to consider a different builder. I guarantee you that every licensed architect plan will include proper plastic septic tanks in the drawing in Thailand. I've seen more than my share of actual real architect house plans in all house sizes and building budgets.  The previous posts have given the OP some great accurate replies. To give the OP a real sense of PEA monthly electric bill I noted that this 5 bedroom home with a swimming pool for sale in Buriram has posted PEA monthly bills of under 3000 baht each month.  PWA government water bill of under 600 baht a month. Solar exterior lighting.

Two kitchens with Siemens Gas HOB, and two water pumps. The home listed for sale in Buriram includes Ethernet wiring, video cameras.

https://www.buriramhome.com

Archived