BANGKOK 19 April 2019 00:07
highlander76

Solar power is it worth it

I can  never understand why I see so few homes using solar panels here . I suggested it to my wife and builder today and that idea was shot down reasons not worth it costs to much and government does not like you using them(they own electric supply ) they must be talking crap.Anybody on this forum fitted solar power to their homes my question is it worth the cost and hassle of installing, have you seen a saving in your electric bill that made you happy with installing solar power .

• Like 1

Lecky is cheap for me the rest of my family are on 5/15 supply which they get free, it doesn't come any cheaper than that. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes it is worth it!350 watt panel now for around 5000baht.

Payback time is 6 years but in 6 years elec.will be more expensive.

If intrest was high it may be a different story but money in the bank costs money at the moment.

There are some very good companies around.

Get informed so you can form a better opinion.

• Thanks 1

As stated, the numbers just don't work to make installation feasible, when I built house, I built in an area for installing solar panels, but - when you start to dig deeper, just not worth it & my electric bill averages around 5k a month. 5 years ago I thought I will leave it for a while and see how things progress - there has been little progression and prices still way too high.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2019 at 10:20 AM, kamalabob2 said:

Solar DC deep well submersible bore hole water pump

I agree with Bob, Solar well DC pumps are a good way to start and I am very happy with mine. The last price I paid for solar panels was ฿3,900 for 320w.

I will be installing a full solar PV system on my new house build this year, but I agree with previous comments, if the only reason you are doing it is to save money, you are probably better to wait for more components to be manufactured in Thailand and avoid costly import duties.

Edited by Bandersnatch
  • Thanks 1

I was interested to install a new pump on my swimming pool but the price was 5 times a normal pool pump

The regime here require that you get a BOI license, a power production permit and a controlled energy production license (which can be acquired from the Energy Regulatory Commission) even if you have only one panel on your house. Whether it would be enforced or not is another matter. Just not worth the hassle or the cost. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 2/21/2019 at 4:07 PM, eyecatcher said:

I agree with the kawasaki its down to the lekky price.

My monthly bill rarely goes over 600bt and those solar panels probably start at 15k bt for one as big as an A4(paper not Audi)

Hardly seems worth it. 

Ironically Uk citizens must be mugs, spending at least 5k bt a month on electricity, they fall over themselves to take up offers of solar panels on their roof.

Horrendous they look....and they dont make any saving because the sun is out three days a year but instead they lowered the value of their now ugly house by 25%...

They got something right here

I looked at it in the UK. It's about a 7-year payback if I remember correctly. The best method in the UK to me is an underground heat pump for central heating and possibly one solar panel to do your hot water.