BANGKOK
highlander76

Solar power is it worth it

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I would say the exact opposite, the differences are trivial in the real world.

The different labels stuck to the sides of the 2m x 1m panels appear to mean nothing.

Certainly the 300w, 330w and 350w panels appear to have the same outputs.

Maybe for no-name panels. The brand panels I have looked at match their specs pretty well. What do you think would happen if that were not the case? You think someone buying thousands of panels for a bigger system will accept a double digit percent deviation from spec? No way. In fact they come with efficiency warranties so if output is too low, the panels go right back for RMA. That's why one pays more for these panels.

Edited by eisfeld

Posted (edited)
Just now, eisfeld said:

Maybe for no-name panels. The brand panels I have looked at match their specs pretty well. What do you think would happen if that were not the case? You think someone buying thousands of panels for a bigger system will accept a double digit deviation from spec? No way. In fact they come with efficiency warranties so if output is too low, the panels go right back for RMA. That's why one pays more for these panels.

I think in Thailand nobody (in authority) would give a damn.

And good luck getting a warranty replacement from a supplier that will have a different name next year.

It's almost as if you don't live in Thailand!

Edited by BritManToo

26 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I think in Thailand nobody (in authority) would give a damn.

And good luck getting a warranty replacement from a supplier that will have a different name next year.

It's almost as if you don't live in Thailand!

What does it have to do with authorities? I am talking about companies that spends millions of dollars on solar panels. They very much give a damn. And yes, you will get a warranty replacement from the Tier 1 suppliers no problem. They are not like your random fly by night operation. You think a company like Jinko which has been around for 14 years and has over 13k employees will play funny games? They have a name to lose.

It's almost as if you've never dealt with serious businesses!

Most big companies installing solar are doing so more for PR than as an investment.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Most big companies installing solar are doing so more for PR than as an investment.

I doubt that. I know many who do it primarily as an investment. PR/CSR is a secondary benefit. Any installation of decent size will bring considerable savings. It's common to be able to save more than 100M baht over the project lifetime with commercial sized solar systems.

3 hours ago, eisfeld said:

I doubt that. I know many who do it primarily as an investment.

For example?

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, eisfeld said:

You think a company like Jinko which has been around for 14 years

It's almost as if you've never dealt with serious businesses!

Where are the photos of your home system?

It's almost as if you're a salesman and not an enthusiast.

Edited by BritManToo

Getting into waffle talk ,Corporations, primary investment, jeez yer cant save much here cause Electrics cheap,not one mention about bird poop cleaning or everyday downsides

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
Just now, pineapple01 said:

Getting into waffle talk ,Corporations, primary investment, jeez yer cant save much here cause Electrics cheap,not one mention about bird poop cleaning or everyday downsides

Actually this month has been good for cleaning, storms have washed my panels clean.

I usually have to go up a ladder and wipe them down every month (which is why mine are on a wall and not the roof).

Never much problem with bird poop, but the particle pollution in CM would completely cover them in two months.

Edited by BritManToo

Low Tech Magazine is worth a Google. The ugly side of Solar Panals. Being a people observer there are 3 types of reactions to say their new Solar or Inverter Air Con. Theres mine. Well the old one broke. Best Mate.I had the same as Him. Finaly the one we were all waiting to join us. Mr Fan Boy. The one whose Fortuna uses less fuel than my Weed Whacker We sit shamefaced behind our Sunday Beer not knowing how much we have saved as he announces his saving will pay for the new unit in 12 Months.😇

• Haha 1

Had mine put in the Junk Truck last month. 16 years old, just another of my good ideas at the time bit the dust.Anything appertaining to a Battery has this habit of detecting me and going flat in no time. Even a Wall Clock.!

I'd really like to see what other people are getting in real life. Proper numbers and graphs, not "I'm getting Xyz" with nothing to back it up.

I cannot possibly be the only person placing live data on the net for a simple home system, can I?

I got my plan from my old EGAT friend, for something to do. Some specs, brands and finer details would present a better read.