BANGKOK
highlander76

Solar power is it worth it

Posted (edited)

Now that the COVID shipping restrictions have eased and Solar Panels from China are on sale again, I'm having another go to buy 3 panels. Found some on Lazada 330w panels, 3 delivered for 8,820bht COD (3x 2k8 + delivery).

This will be my 4th attempt to buy 3 panels, to add to my existing two.

Already had a 1000w Suoer GTI sitting in it's box for months.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

So , i have had 3 x 360w panels operating for ten days now and got 46kwh for an average of 4.6units/day.

got 2nd array of 3 x 360w panels set up and produced 4.5units yesterday from these.

The worst day so far was 3.7units on a mostly cloudy day but so far the sky has mainly stayed clear during peak hours between 10am to 2pm which i think has helped the figures stay very good but reading other posters returns, i seem to be exceeding certainly my expectations. If i were to maintain this rate of generation , then i would see a return of investment of around two years !!

So my question to those who have had solar for a year or more is how much variation do you get throughout the year? And how does July compare ?

We are at the peak of summer with long days and the sun ideally positioned. 

Sadly my figures for last year were lost in a server failure (it won't happen again, I'm keeping my own records) but IIRC in December we were getting something like 80% of what we see now with the slightly shorter days and sun lower in the sky.

Average of 1 unit per day from a 300W panel, obviously a bit more from your larger panels, would be a conseravative estimate.

• Thanks 1

@sidgy Just by way of contrast our 5.8kW (installed panels) system is struggling to 900W at present.

With 100% cloud predicted for the whole day I predict a thin day of production 😞

• Like 1

Yes, yesterday was the first day of cloud throughout the day and i got 5.1units from the 6 panels, today is forecast to do the same . The cloud in the morning or late afternoon doesnt drag the figures too much but yesterday was the only time it has been overcast through the 1000-1400 period and has had a dramatic effect.

Im south Bkk and overcast and getting between 350-450 at the moment from 2,160w of panels.

In regards to earlier post, i wasnt sure if the clearer skys in Nov-Feb compensated for the lower sun/shorter days so thanks for the info

11 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Sun is stronger in summer, but more clouds and rain.

Last year 1 x 330w panel Aug 28, Oct 32, Nov 29, Dec 30, Jan 29, Feb 28 

This year 2 x 330w panel, April 59, May 65, June 57, July 57

So a fairly consistent output all year 1x 330w panel produces 1 unit/day with small variations.

Ha, you posted this as i was typing.  Answers it well , thanks

• Like 1

Does production depend on keeping the panels clean?  Or, not really an issue?

31 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

A light coating of crud doesn't seem to make much difference but in reality the variation just from different weather and cloud cover likely masks all but the worst muck.

I'm not cleaning ours at present we shall see if anything noticeable occurs after a couple of months then a clean.

We  have no electricity near our place and recently replaced our old solar setup after the set-up got a direct lightning strike and all the components went ker-bang.   The family uses it for running a small fridge, radio, charging phones and running a couple of fans at night.  The new system is worth it for the fridge (buying blocks of ice for an esky every couple of days was just plain annoying).  Also for the fans as our previous battery system was small and used to run out of oomph at about midnight.  

I have a deep hole submersible pump of 2 Horse Power

1520 Watts

That would require at the very least, six panels of 320 Watt costing 3,900 each

That equates to 23,400 just for the Electric supply

Add on the Electric Cable at 80 Baht / Meter, and your costs spiral

EG For 100 M depth bore to pump = 23,400 + 100 x 80 =8000

Total install cost of Electicity supply only = 31,400

Really a non starter.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

That would require at the very least, six panels of 320 Watt costing 3,900 each

Add on the Electric Cable at 80 Baht / Meter,

I've just ordered 3x 330w panels @ 2,800bht each (+500bht delivery).

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i1388536099-s3540822457.html

2.5mm twin cable (15Amp 240v) is approx 10bht/metre (315bht/30m roll).

https://shopee.co.th/product/105995009/1894419490

Why are you paying so much more for everything?

Edited by BritManToo

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, bankruatsteve said:

Yes it does affect the output. Of course it depends on what kind of dirt and how much. In the raining season you get a self cleaning effect if there is a bit of tilt. Cleaning can boost output some 20% or more in the dry season if dust accumulated for a fair amount of time (months) from what I've seen. It's hard to put a figure on it but cleaning the panels 2-4 times a year is a good rule of thumb. It heavily depends on your region and surroundings too. It's easy to see the difference if one has an inverter that tracks stats. And if one has more than one string then you can clean only one and compare side by side. Cleaning is very easy too.

Edited by eisfeld
  • Like 1

some houses have steep roofs good to catch the sun but too hard to climb up and clean with out scaffolding so its a no go for me I will just pay my power bill and enjoy the aircon and we do not get many black out and if we do fixed with in 2 hours