BANGKOK
highlander76

Solar power is it worth it

1 hour ago, BangkokBoyJohnny said:

Yes I'd be looking for the Zero-Export Function on my Inverter. Is the timer feature built into the Inverter or its a separate box ?

It depends upon the inverter, our low cost Chinese unit doesn't have a timer so I built a box (details in the car-port thread). Other more expensive units have timers and remote control.

• Like 1

Try it with a tilt this time? 🙂

So I got the Solar company round (here in Phuket) for a quote. My house faces South but for aesthetic reasons I'd like the panels to go anywhere but that direction !

If I install on the East or West side any guestimates on how efficient the panels would be compared to South facing ?

5 hours ago, BangkokBoyJohnny said:

So I got the Solar company round (here in Phuket) for a quote. My house faces South but for aesthetic reasons I'd like the panels to go anywhere but that direction !

If I install on the East or West side any guestimates on how efficient the panels would be compared to South facing ?

It depends on the angle of the roof. My guestimate would be anything between 10% and 25%. It's important to consider if any part of the roof has shadowing too.

On 8/13/2020 at 6:06 PM, BritManToo said:

Was working hard today, cutting, welding, drilling ..........

IMG_20200813_153005.jpg

Was just putting the final cable ties on the electrics when ..... torrential rain ........

IMG_20200813_175720.jpg

Shouldn't they be in an angle?

Just now, AlfHuy said:

Not in Thailand.

Recommended tilts are south +12 degree summer, -8 degree winter.

But if you aren't going to track the sun all year, might as well leave them in the middle at 0 degrees.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 8/13/2020 at 6:06 PM, BritManToo said:

Was working hard today, cutting, welding, drilling ..........

IMG_20200813_153005.jpg

Was just putting the final cable ties on the electrics when ..... torrential rain ........

IMG_20200813_175720.jpg

Interesting project, I would like to try something similar. My electricity bill is about 16K a year and with limited years left on the planet, viability is not glaringly obvious.

The main concern is that every time the electricity goes off you enter the unknown and cringe when have open the fridge door for a beer.

Certainly interested to see how it all pans out in respect of final cost and performance. Good luck.

1 hour ago, AlfHuy said:

Depending on location in Thailand position above equator varies from approx 6 - 20 deg S-N. Panels laid flat will be closer to the optimized elevation down in the south. I imagine panels laid flat will not be cleaned as well by the rain or spray from a hose as those with some elevation.

The aim is to squeeze every available watt from solar panels taking full advantage of any adjustment available within the fixing location. This of course is not always possible where roof top installations limit adjustment.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Not in Thailand.

Recommended tilts are south +12 degree summer, -8 degree winter.

But if you aren't going to track the sun all year, might as well leave them in the middle at 0 degrees.

Yes also in Thailand. You want to (roughly) offset the latitude. It's not a night-and-day difference in output but if it costs nearly nothing to do then why wouldn't you? Plus the extra benefits of self-cleaning and for bigger installations and air flow through convection. But all this has been stated a couple times already.

There's a reason 100% of solar farms use tilted panels here 🙂

Now that you are putting up a new setup it would be a great opportunity for you to test and measure yourself. Put half of your setup at an angle and measure the output vs non-tilted. For science. 🔭🧑‍🔬

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Pay back time under 3 years for the 3 latest panels.

8,800bht for 3 panels, 3,000bht for the GTI, 900bht for the box steel, 72bht nuts and bolts = 12,800bht.

3 units a day generated @ 4.25bht/unit = 12.75bht/day

12,800/12.75 = 1000 days to break even.

Not bad, i was fortunate enough to have 35 batteries laying around (deep cycle ones), slowly going through and binning the <deleted> ones (turns out a neighbour was picking them up off the road and flogging them for 1k THB each!!!)

Solax 5k Hybrid inverter was about 90k all in.

Installation (first crew 20k) second crew 25k

Parts 40k 

Panels 60k

We also built purpose structures (one is like a viewing platform, the other is a walkway) another 50k there.

Cables 40k.

Likely break even in 5 yrs, but learned a lot along the way, bills were 6+k a month, though this image does lie (doesnt take into account when WIFI is down and we've been doing days of downtime over the past two months since it went fully online creating a new grid, so that data is lost, also only just realised how to input cost from grid so it calculates savings.

Screen Shot 2020-08-15 at 19.47.28.png

• Like 1