Solar power is it worth it

• 1 month later...
On 2/21/2019 at 7:36 PM, BritManToo said:

300w panels (big 2m x 1m) cost just under 5kbht from Amorn in most Tesco buildings.

You can buy a 600w micro grid tie inverter for 5k from Lazada (can take 2 panels)

That just plugs into your nearest mains socket, no need to tell the leccy company (shhhhhhhhh.....)

Why don't I buy one,

well it takes five years to get your money back (assuming they work) and I only have a 90 day VISA.

All my 'investments' in Thailand are now determined by the length of my VISA.

(5k inverter takes 2 panels.)

That is not correct. a 5 k inverter can take up to 5000 watts. It can take 12 panels a 400 watts

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...
On 2/21/2019 at 7:15 PM, CharlieH said:

Someone I know who lives near, spent a large amount of money on an entire roof full of approx 2ft x 4ft panels, I wont go through the whole story but the bottom line.

It never worked, wasnt installed right, never had the agreements or connection to the "grid" promised , they didnt even exist and werent allowed either. All the promises turned to sh** and it was a complete con job, he got taken for a ride. He took them to court, got 300k judgement but has never been able to collect and now has, as last I knew, a shed full of around 40+ unused German solar panels.

Does he still have them? What does he want for them?

On 2/21/2019 at 7:07 PM, eyecatcher said:

I agree with the kawasaki its down to the lekky price.

My monthly bill rarely goes over 600bt and those solar panels probably start at 15k bt for one as big as an A4(paper not Audi)

Hardly seems worth it. 

Ironically Uk citizens must be mugs, spending at least 5k bt a month on electricity, they fall over themselves to take up offers of solar panels on their roof.

Horrendous they look....and they dont make any saving because the sun is out three days a year but instead they lowered the value of their now ugly house by 25%...

They got something right here

You do not understand the statements you are making . Modern solar panels can create energy without direct sunlight . That can be an advantage in that the solar panels will last longer and the bottom line will be in your favour .

• 9 months later...
On 8/15/2020 at 7:54 PM, Jenkins9039 said:

117388408_728348131230653_4244383565070298466_o.jpg

117604377_728348027897330_6599094950564507379_o.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-08-15 at 19.47.28.png

Sweet set up.  How do you like the Solax inverter ?

Going the solar route soon, though not off-grid. 5KWS /  6,3kw / 1 phase / Solax inverter / 455w or 540w panels (still debating on panels).

4 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Going the solar route soon, though not off-grid. 5KWS /  6,3kw / 1 phase / Solax inverter / 455w or 540w panels (still debating on panels).

Its pretty good, no complaints, we also have their batteries (changed to lithium about a month after that picture).

Edited by Jenkins9039
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 2/24/2019 at 9:13 AM, KittenKong said:

The fairly low price of electricity in Thailand works against off-grid solutions being economical.

Anything imported will not be cheap here, and then you have the problem of finding someone who actually knows how to install and maintain the things, as mentioned.

But above all, most Thais simply dont see the point of spending 10B today to save 12B tomorrow. They are corner-cutters and penny-pinchers who would rather save 1B today and lose 10B tomorrow.

So true, just what I have seen during the last 7 years I've been living in Thailand. 

On 9/26/2021 at 3:32 PM, KhunLA said:

A year later, and sure did change that plan. ????

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, KhunLA said:

A year later, and sure did change that plan. ????

I don’t know if @DjSilver realized he was replying to a four year old comment. Solar in Thailand is in a completely different place now. Solar panels are half the price they were then. Lithium batteries are a quarter the price!

Maybe solar power wasn’t worth it 4 years ago but that is definitely not the case now particularly when compared to grid electricity which is 20% higher now with more price rises to come. 

Edited by Bandersnatch
  • Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

I don’t know if @DjSilver realized he was replying to a four year old comment. Solar in Thailand is in a completely different place now. Solar panels are half the price they were then. Lithium batteries are a quarter the price!

Maybe solar power wasn’t worth it 4 years ago but that is definitely not the case now particularly when compared to grid electricity which is 20% higher now with more price rises to come. 

No, didn't noticed that it was an old pos.

but I replied to the part of why make 10 million in 1 year when I can make 1 million today. 

Edited by DjSilver
More