Solar power is it worth it

20 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I've just ordered 3x 330w panels @ 2,800bht each (+500bht delivery).

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i1388536099-s3540822457.html

2.5mm twin cable (15Amp 240v) is approx 10bht/metre (315bht/30m roll).

https://shopee.co.th/product/105995009/1894419490

Why are you paying so much more for everything?

When you are pumping up from a depth of 100 M 2.5 Twin Cable just does not hack it for a 2 HP Submersible Pump

4 MM Twin is what I got away with, but 6 was recommended.

3 of your panels would not power this kind of Pump, as you only have 1Kw of Power when 1.5 Kw is required, as an absolute minimum. Therefore a minimum 5 panels, but 6 for not working them to the full max load.

We were talking deep hole bores remember, 30 M is not considered to be deep.

If you pump up from 30 M ( or less ) then maybe 2,5 Cable would do the job, as for the Panel price, I used another posters cost to these.

Even with your figures 6 X Panels = 16,800 

delivery 500

Total 17,300

Really not a cost effective way of producing any significant power

On 8/2/2020 at 9:06 AM, Cake Monster said:

Add on the Electric Cable at 80 Baht / Meter, and your costs spiral

I don't think you can add the cable to the comparison of solar vs grid supplied electricity as you'd need the cable either way.

That being said, unless the pump has to run a lot of hours every day, I also am not sure if powering via solar would make sense if grid supply is near. It's only worth it if you can use nearly all the electricity that it generates or if there is no grid anywhere near.

9 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

I don't think you can add the cable to the comparison of solar vs grid supplied electricity as you'd need the cable either way.

That being said, unless the pump has to run a lot of hours every day, I also am not sure if powering via solar would make sense if grid supply is near. It's only worth it if you can use nearly all the electricity that it generates or if there is no grid anywhere near.

Right at the start of this thread there's a post saying a deep DC pump needs 3 x300w solar panels.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1085595-solar-power-is-it-worth-it/?do=findComment&comment=13873293

Edited by BritManToo

On 8/2/2020 at 11:04 AM, BritManToo said:

This weeks weather finally tested my battery back-up.

4hr power cut earlier in the week and a 30 minute power cut yesterday.

Was watching movies from the NAS directly on the TV, and running a big a fan, think the battery would have lasted at least 6hrs.

Had neighbours asking the misses how our TV was still going while they had no power.

giant ups.jpg

How did you fit it in the existing system ? I mean , you just plug it in for where you need it ? I was thinking about a bit bigger unit but same principle . but then i have to know if the power through can be higher power then the max power of the unit ? When it's on battery then the power output is lower . This is no issue since most of the time only low output is needed , only on some occasions when you use some electric motors , you need higher .

9 hours ago, sezze said:

How did you fit it in the existing system ?

I just plug it between the mains and my 'entertainment'. It's switches to battery if the mains goes away.

I was thinking of fitting it to the fuse box, so the output of the fuse fed it, then it fed the living room power circuit.

But I'd really want a 3KVA unit for that, and they're just over 6,500bht.

15 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I just plug it between the mains and my 'entertainment'. It's switches to battery if the mains goes away.

I was thinking of fitting it to the fuse box, so the output of the fuse fed it, then it fed the living room power circuit.

But I'd really want a 3KVA unit for that, and they're just over 6,500bht.

Thats exactly how i want to use it , prob need some rewiring so i can use most normal things on the battery and other circuit when i need big power , thx

On 2/27/2019 at 11:02 AM, Bandersnatch said:

I agree with Bob, Solar well DC pumps are a good way to start and I am very happy with mine. The last price I paid for solar panels was ฿3,900 for 320w.

I will be installing a full solar PV system on my new house build this year, but I agree with previous comments, if the only reason you are doing it is to save money, you are probably better to wait for more components to be manufactured in Thailand and avoid costly import duties.

Packaged deals with installation, enough power to fully power an average family house in Australia now available for AUD1,999 = 45,000Baht.

Some of these package deals at very low / some at zero interest to buy on monthly payments. 

Commentary indicates prices will come down further and include better fully packaged/integrated equipment, bigger more productive panels and easier quicker installation.  

Edited by scorecard

On 2/27/2019 at 7:02 AM, Bandersnatch said:

I agree with Bob, Solar well DC pumps are a good way to start and I am very happy with mine. The last price I paid for solar panels was ฿3,900 for 320w.

Down to 2,600bht for a 315w panel now, CoD.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/poly-315w-4524v-solar-cell-panel-poly-crystalline-xj315p672-i1388282244-s3540670646.html

Morning Gents,

So I've decided to go Solar here in Phuket. Average Electricity bill goes from 6,000thb to 9,000thb pcm which would appear from my bill to be 1500 to 1800+ units roughly. The kids like AC at night, me too, we've got a small swimming pool, couple of fridges, couple of PCs, TVs and washing machines !

I'm not 100% sure our PEA is that keen on people with Solar, neigbhours turn their ACs on when the meters get read apparently, I dont think I want the expense of stored power/electricity etc. So I'm thinking I'll aim for the lower months of 1500 units / 30 days pcm means I'd need 50 panels to be self sufficient ? 3k thb each = 150K thb plus install and other kit etc.

Dont think my roof can fit that many panels ! (Well could do house is 250square meters.)

Any comments /tips/advice appreciate. Will get a recommended company in this week or next. My mates used them a year or 2 ago and says his payback is 4 years.

Cheers

Cliffy

(So a fairly consistent output all year 1x 330w panel produces 1 unit/day with small variations.)

@BangkokBoyJohnny Have a read of my solar car-port thread.

Potential payback of going DIY 2 years or so https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1120934-how-about-a-solar-car-port-on-a-budget/?do=findComment&comment=15560312

If you get an inverter with a "zero export" function then you can simply turn off export when the meter reader is due. We have a timer that does the dirty on the export function.

Do you have an electronic meter or the old type spinning disc job?

Net-metering (spinning the meter backwards during export) is technically illegal and a number of members have been caught out and had no-reverse meter installed. 

Hi Crossy,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm reading (and learning as I go) on your Solar Car Port thread right now in another tab !

My Meter is old school spinny type. Checking past 8 months of PEA bills my meter is read on the 20th, 21st or 22nd even if its a Sunday usually between 8-9 am so Yes I'd be looking for the Zero-Export Function on my Inverter. Is the timer feature built into the Inverter or its a separate box ?

The kids will be moving in a few years so I guess I should maybe just go for 80% say of my lowest months usage and pay Mr PEA the balance as it would appears batteries are worth it financially....

(I wont be doing this myself, just dont enjoy playing with Electricity !)

(I guess I should mention I have 3 phase also)

Cheers,

Cliffy.

1 hour ago, BangkokBoyJohnny said:

Yes I'd be looking for the Zero-Export Function on my Inverter. Is the timer feature built into the Inverter or its a separate box ?

It depends upon the inverter, our low cost Chinese unit doesn't have a timer so I built a box (details in the car-port thread). Other more expensive units have timers and remote control.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BangkokBoyJohnny said:

So I got the Solar company round (here in Phuket) for a quote. My house faces South but for aesthetic reasons I'd like the panels to go anywhere but that direction !

If I install on the East or West side any guestimates on how efficient the panels would be compared to South facing ?

It depends on the angle of the roof. My guestimate would be anything between 10% and 25%. It's important to consider if any part of the roof has shadowing too.

On 8/13/2020 at 6:06 PM, BritManToo said:

Was working hard today, cutting, welding, drilling ..........

IMG_20200813_153005.jpg

Was just putting the final cable ties on the electrics when ..... torrential rain ........

IMG_20200813_175720.jpg

Shouldn't they be in an angle?

On 8/13/2020 at 6:06 PM, BritManToo said:

Was working hard today, cutting, welding, drilling ..........

IMG_20200813_153005.jpg

Was just putting the final cable ties on the electrics when ..... torrential rain ........

IMG_20200813_175720.jpg

Interesting project, I would like to try something similar. My electricity bill is about 16K a year and with limited years left on the planet, viability is not glaringly obvious.

The main concern is that every time the electricity goes off you enter the unknown and cringe when have open the fridge door for a beer.

Certainly interested to see how it all pans out in respect of final cost and performance. Good luck.

1 hour ago, AlfHuy said:

Shouldn't they be in an angle?

Depending on location in Thailand position above equator varies from approx 6 - 20 deg S-N. Panels laid flat will be closer to the optimized elevation down in the south. I imagine panels laid flat will not be cleaned as well by the rain or spray from a hose as those with some elevation.

The aim is to squeeze every available watt from solar panels taking full advantage of any adjustment available within the fixing location. This of course is not always possible where roof top installations limit adjustment.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Not in Thailand.

Recommended tilts are south +12 degree summer, -8 degree winter.

But if you aren't going to track the sun all year, might as well leave them in the middle at 0 degrees.

Yes also in Thailand. You want to (roughly) offset the latitude. It's not a night-and-day difference in output but if it costs nearly nothing to do then why wouldn't you? Plus the extra benefits of self-cleaning and for bigger installations and air flow through convection. But all this has been stated a couple times already.

There's a reason 100% of solar farms use tilted panels here ????

Now that you are putting up a new setup it would be a great opportunity for you to test and measure yourself. Put half of your setup at an angle and measure the output vs non-tilted. For science. ????????‍????

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Pay back time under 3 years for the 3 latest panels.

8,800bht for 3 panels, 3,000bht for the GTI, 900bht for the box steel, 72bht nuts and bolts = 12,800bht.

3 units a day generated @ 4.25bht/unit = 12.75bht/day

12,800/12.75 = 1000 days to break even.

Not bad, i was fortunate enough to have 35 batteries laying around (deep cycle ones), slowly going through and binning the <deleted> ones (turns out a neighbour was picking them up off the road and flogging them for 1k THB each!!!)

Solax 5k Hybrid inverter was about 90k all in.

Installation (first crew 20k) second crew 25k

Parts 40k 

Panels 60k

We also built purpose structures (one is like a viewing platform, the other is a walkway) another 50k there.

Cables 40k.

Likely break even in 5 yrs, but learned a lot along the way, bills were 6+k a month, though this image does lie (doesnt take into account when WIFI is down and we've been doing days of downtime over the past two months since it went fully online creating a new grid, so that data is lost, also only just realised how to input cost from grid so it calculates savings.

Screen Shot 2020-08-15 at 19.47.28.png

• Like 1