Landlady says I owe her money for damage to condo in Phuket

when doing rental agreements there should be a list of the rooms etc and what condition they are in with any defects marked/listed, one done by the owner than one done by the tenant and signed off by both with any discrepancies sorted out. At the end of the lease the same thing again, any new defects unless fair wear and tear  are to be paid for but that would require honesty and a bit of extra work or in the landlords case proof they may not really want as it removes their shot at keeping the bond

Intimidation is what these scum rely on. I would let her go to civil court to prove her case as this is not a "police for hire" matter. All too often the "policeman" that shows up is in busibess with her to make his cut from lowhanded dealings. I never rent from lowclass Thais, only lowclass foreigners. lol.

On 2/21/2019 at 9:56 AM, Jouner88 said:

Money isn't really an issue, ...

If money isn't an issue, pay her 9k baht and stop being silly.

On 2/21/2019 at 9:56 AM, Jouner88 said:

...I would be more interested in fighting it and spending more in the long run if necessary.

Oops... too late.

You're a TEACHER for Chrisakes! Lawyers will eat you up and blow you out in bubbles.

As far as I know, a teacher can bugger up just as many 'tiny' things over an 18 month rental as a non-teacher can.

6 hours ago, meinphuket said:

Ignore it, it will just go away. Most of what you mention comes under normal 'wear and tear'  The police can't even summon you, though they may try, as it is a civil case. If you believe that that police station is being incentivized by her,  go to see a senior officer at police HQs in Phuket town, and ultimately there s always the Damrongtum/ombudsman at City hall/salaklaan.

In Thailand, getting help from the right connected people needs monetary reward in kind. They spend their time on you so you must make it worth their while. Nothing is free in LOS. There are always the hidden costs. Best way is to swallow your pride and deal with the SOB lady to end it all. She knew where you work so it is not advisable to drag it out any longer than necessary. All the best. 

1 hour ago, seajae said:

when doing rental agreements there should be a list of the rooms etc and what condition they are in with any defects marked/listed, one done by the owner than one done by the tenant and signed off by both with any discrepancies sorted out. At the end of the lease the same thing again, any new defects unless fair wear and tear  are to be paid for but that would require honesty and a bit of extra work or in the landlords case proof they may not really want as it removes their shot at keeping the bond

Deposit of 10,000 baht indicates that it is a low cost condo. Not much adherence to rental agreement unless the deal was done through rental agency. 

3 hours ago, Jaxxper said:

Tell her that first you are going to make a inquires at the revenue department to ensure she has been declaring the rental income recession fed from you. Might put the frighteners on her to back off...just a thought.

A teacher don’t have much clout in Thailand especially a farang teacher . Unless your girlfriend’s family has clout, she will eat you up for lunch. Prolonging the situation will just open you up for more monetary bleeding. 

2 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

Good luck and post up if you get anything back. Yep, they always do this. My previous Condo owner owes me for the repair of the Air Con unit (5700) and a new matteress (6000). Both of which she suddenly became hard to find and unable to return my calls when I tried to get her to take care of it, replace etc.

She of course took all my damage deposit and what are you going to do? Hang out in Nakorn Nowwhere trying to hunt the owner down. BTW, left that condo in far better shape than I got it. Screened the porch balconey from the pigeons, put in reflective material on the upper windows etc etc. I did this she didn't. Never could find her when her paying money was involved. Bet she is happy she rented to me. ALways paid on time, her other tenants in her other condos did not. Always a lot of drama with them. 

This one, took about 65 picture when I moved in, but truth is, when I do move out, I doubt I will get a satang, TIT   :thumbsup:  

In Thailand you gotta work the deposit amount into the entire duration of the lease in case you never get it back. Part of Thailand renting culture. And if you do get it back, treat it like a bonus. 

Tell her to '<deleted> off' and forget about it.

I've known people who are renting when a 10+ year old air conditioner (on its last legs) broke down and the morons expected the tenant to buy a new one.....moving out quickly fixes this kind of attitude.

What did your contract say about "normal wear and tear"?

As mentioned before, always take photos before you move in and after you move out.

Yes taking photos is a must but a bigger must is checking out in the presence of your landlord & a witness & all 3 sign a checkout document

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

4 hours ago, The Theory said:

Help ?!!!!!

You see, this is another reason that shows how you think. 

The fact is you caused damages more or less (your story is all we know about it). It shows that how you treat a rental property. Even if you rent a property in US you have to pay for damages. If  the owner takes you to court, you will be responsible for court fees as well since you are the one who caused damages. If you get lucky you just don’t pay for the time that landlord had to spend for dealing with repair.

Why don’t you fix them by yourself ?

I tell you why:

Because it takes time and headaches and you even have no idea where to start. 

Next time you rent a property take photos and email the landloard at the time you moving in. And feel more responsible for others property. 

Maybe he's a millennial, they seem to think there are are special rules and values just for their age group. 

33 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Tell her to '<deleted> off' and forget about it.

I've known people who are renting when a 10+ year old air conditioner (on its last legs) broke down and the morons expected the tenant to buy a new one.....moving out quickly fixes this kind of attitude.

Point taken there's also the other side of this situation with tenants who are less than honest and try every trick in the book:

- She (farang woman) decided (no discussion whatever) it would be nice if there was a second AC in the main bedroom (already a big BTU unit in good working condition, but she liked super cold). She contacted an AC company had the unit (big BTU) installed then gave my name and details to the AC company for them to follow up for payment. AC company called me then quickly went to the house with a cop who spoke to her strongly and demanded she pay the AC co owner on the spot. She took all of them to the ATM machine and paid.

- First rent payment 7 days overdue, then she transferred half the rent by ATM transfer (after deducting the guessed ATM charge) then sent me an e-mail 'If you want the balance you will have to come to the house and pick it up yourself.' She's renting my house at Jomtien beach / I live in BKK and she knows this fact. 

I responded with 'full payment by ATM within 4 hours or I will be there with a senior cop to lock you out and I have already advised the village office to prevent you from moving anything out of the village'. 

She paid.

And more, I eventually threw her out.

Ironically her husband was a very senior specialized farang engineer working on the eastern seaboard and the company was giving him the money to pay the rent plus all utilities and more.

Archived