Why are my PCs getting 10mbps network speed instead of 1gbps?

skraach

4 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

I'd be interested to know how you get 1gb on a 100mb connection ?

Yes, but I should be able to get 1gb over the local network.

2 minutes ago, johng said:

Do you have only 1 or more than 1 PC that is only getting 10Mbps ? If just one then either the LAN card/port is set to low speed or the lan cable is "bad"

I have 4 computers on the network. 2 PCs both showing only 10mbps and 2 macs both showing 1gbps.  The PCs have different specs, but both have gigabit ethernet.

3 minutes ago, skraach said:
6 minutes ago, johng said:

Maybe try removing the Ethernet port in "control panel" then search for new hardware and let it reinstall the drivers.

I give that a try.

Did that and still the same slow speed.

ss1.png.b32a13dc94f49aa048364a69f053b794.png

6 minutes ago, skraach said:

Did that and still the same slow speed.

ss1.png.b32a13dc94f49aa048364a69f053b794.png

The "Speed: 10.0 Mbps" is the maximum possible speed for this network card with the current settings and the current cable and the current connection.

It is not the actual speed. If you transfer data or not it will always show 10.0 Mbps.

This shown speed depends on a couple of factors:

- connection speed of the device on the other end of the cable (i.e. router with 10Mbps ports)

- cable quality. Some cable (with 4 wires) can't transfer 1Gbps. Or a bad or too long cable or bad connectors and be an issue

- the card in your PC (in this case the card can handle Gb)

- setting in the card (network card properties in the device manager)

Go to devices manager, find your network card, right click, properties.

The you should see something like this:

LAN.png.2bd770e656a954320b55c1ae83076d19.png

The layout might be totally different but you should see settings for speed and duplex. Normally this is set to auto which connects with the best possible speed. But maybe it's different on you PC.

Maybe you also have diagnostic tools (see  Diagnostics button)

Sorry, the screenshot is from my LAN card which is currently not in use, I am connected with WLAN.

Yeap, expect you have the Ethernet card's Speed/Duplex set to 10Mb versus Auto Negotiation where it will adjust speed up and down automatically....go to 1Gb speed if required.  Setting would be in the card's config/driver settings.

image.png.ee516a9a3303ef60663cec8d0229d249.png

2 minutes ago, Pib said:

Yeap, expect you have the Ethernet card's Speed/Duplex set to 10Mb versus Auto Negotiation where it will adjust speed up and down automatically....go to 1Gb speed if required.  Setting would be in the card's config/driver settings.

image.png.ee516a9a3303ef60663cec8d0229d249.png

No, it was set to the default "Auto Negotiation".

17 minutes ago, shady86 said:

It might be quality of your Lan cables. Some cat5e cables can't run at 1gbps. You can test it with other cables which runs at 1gpbs to your macs.

Since cables are cheap now, go for cat 6e for anything over 2M.

Yes, but why does the PC show 100mbps while the Mac show 1gbps using the same ethernet cable?

ss3.png.a95114cf88c1c62e04fd93813c654599.png

Just out of curiosity, is anybody getting a connection speed of 1gbps on your PC?
Yes I get 1Gbps on my old PC running WinXp pro 64....connected to a Dlink DGS-1210-10 switching hub which in turn connects to an Asus RT-AC86U router...every link in the chain has to support the highest speed.

9 hours ago, skraach said:

Yes, but why does the PC show 100mbps while the Mac show 1gbps using the same ethernet cable?

So, changing the cable did make a difference then.

When you changed the cable did you leave the other end in the same router port? What does the Mac show when it's on the PC cable?

Does the network cable go near any power cables? if it does try moving them apart.

Tried some new cables and finally got the gigabit speeds happening on the PCs and maxing out the 100/50 internet connection. It was all about the cables.

However, it was interesting that the Macs could get gigabit speed from the exact same cables (i.e. unplug the cable from the pc and plug it into the Mac) while the PCs could only manage 10mbps.

Thanks for everyone's help.

ss4.png.6747f44d5b1a9715a64714a2c2a3f9da.png

ss5.png.cbeab339b9b75a01b7484ed6a1fcd27b.png

Archived