Question about obtaining Thai work visa for teaching

Hi, 

I am a U.S. citizen living in Taiwan.  I'm 49 years old.  Looking to move to Thailand in July.  Have read info about getting a Thai work permit on the embassy website.  Just looking for confirmation on whether I understand the process.  I can either 1. try to get a work contract before I go to Thailand from a school (use an employment agency to help me??) and get my non-immigration B visa from the Thai embassy in Taipei, Taiwan, then go to Thailand and start the process for the proper work visa, OR 2. Got to Thailand first, obtain a work contract from a school, then I would have to leave Thailand and go to a Thai embassy in a neighboring country to get the non-immigration B visa, then go back to Thailand to start the work permit process.  Am I even close with my current understanding of the process??  Taiwan is definitely easier.  :-)  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you in advance.  

1. That would be possible with supporting documents from a school and a contract. Requirements are on the Trade And Economic Office in Taipei. http://www.tteo.org.tw/main/th/services/5202/56264-Non-immigrant-B-(Teaching).html

2. If you entered with tourist visa you could then find a a job and apply for non-b visa. It may be possible to a apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa entry at a immigration office. If not then you would have to go to a nearby embassy or consulate for a single entry non-b visa.

Then apply for a teachers license, work permit and then apply for a one year extension based upon teaching at immigration.

hi

as Ubon mentioned all options.. no need to say more.

Suggestion: I would come to thailand with a tourist visa.. find a job (dont use any agency they will get your money and salary and not pay you nothing. Thats a well common known info) Plus its always better to walk in any school and apply. After got the job, do the paper work. Also you dont need to leave thailand. You can change your tourist visa to non-b

good luck

23 minutes ago, problemfarang said:

hi

as Ubon mentioned all options.. no need to say more.

Suggestion: I would come to thailand with a tourist visa.. find a job (dont use any agency they will get your money and salary and not pay you nothing. Thats a well common known info) Plus its always better to walk in any school and apply. After got the job, do the paper work. Also you dont need to leave thailand. You can change your tourist visa to non-b

good luck

A little more about teaching / teacher agencies, some of them not only charge a fee to the teacher and the school but they also demand 10% ?? forever. Some agencies set things up so that the school pays the salary to the agency which cuts 10% or more, then gives the remainder to the teacher. Beware.  

Different point, just for clarity, please understand that visas (permission to be physically in Thailand) is handled by the Thai Immigration authority (which is a sub-division of the Thai police).

Work permits (there is no such thing as a work visa) are handled by the Thai Labour Ministry which is a different ministry to immigration.