where to buy lemons

PETDCAT

I was recently forced to buy a lemon at Rimping to finish making some hummus. The price was more than all other ingredients combined, I am going to make hummus again and I would like to avoid the migraine of paying 50 baht for a single lemon, i know they are available sometimes here and there for a much more reasonable price, and I would like to know if anyone has seen them lately at some of the other markets. Thanks 

IMG_5440.JPG

We buy at Mae Hia market when available, if they have then most markets will also.Limes are perhaps a better alternative they are always available.

Never understand why lemons are not grown locally.I had a few trees back home in Oz and used to give them away,prolific growth and fruit,minimum maintenace.

With so many "fresh' markets around CM why people buy veges and fruit at Rimping,Tops, huge mark ups, beggars belief

2 hours ago, Sparkles said:

We buy at Mae Hia market when available, if they have then most markets will also.Limes are perhaps a better alternative they are always available.

Never understand why lemons are not grown locally.I had a few trees back home in Oz and used to give them away,prolific growth and fruit,minimum maintenace.

With so many "fresh' markets around CM why people buy veges and fruit at Rimping,Tops, huge mark ups, beggars belief

They are grown locally,I have several trees in my garden,other people

in my Moo Bahn have them too,they are not the typical lemon shape

more rounded but definitely a variety of Lemon, they are not Limes.

regards Worgeordie

2 hours ago, worgeordie said:

regards Worgeordie

I was talking about Lemons being grown in commercial quantities ie large scale orchards.Before foreigners came to CM in great numbers they might not have been a viable option but they are now.I have planted a lemon tree in our garden but its yet to be producing fruit.Limes for what they are are also not cheap.Getting Thai farmers to look at alternative crops is never easy.You can but lemon trees at Kamtieng Market if anyone is interested

4 hours ago, worgeordie said:

regards Worgeordie

I didn't know that lemon can grow in Thailand's hot weather.

Where can I buy the small trees so that I can plant it myself?

22 minutes ago, PETDCAT said:

thanks everyone, stopped at Big C and got 3 big ones for 45 baht, would prefer to get from local market but don't always feel like going the extra distance

I am surprised that Rimping is doing well considering most of their prices are exorbitant.

37 minutes ago, EricTh said:

you can buy young lemon fruit trees at khamthieng  flower market.  It beats me that a tree only 1.5m high can be laden with fruit.

I usually go for a touch up, just to check they are not plastic

9 minutes ago, EricTh said:

I am surprised that Rimping is doing well considering most of their prices are exorbitant.

Rimping has the snob factor obviously and shoppers there want to be seen.

you can likely see me baulking at the prices and negociating on the local fresh food markets (but not looking to be seen)

33 minutes ago, eyecatcher said:

Rimping has the snob factor obviously and shoppers there want to be seen.

I often cruise Rimping looking at their buy one, get one free offers.

Their Beston Cheddar at 350bht/kg is about the best price I've found for cheese anywhere in CM.

Their Chabaa fruit juices at 45bht/litre isn't a bad deal either.

2 hours ago, eyecatcher said:

you can buy young lemon fruit trees at khamthieng  flower market.  It beats me that a tree only 1.5m high can be laden with fruit.

I usually go for a touch up, just to check they are not plastic

There are so many shops in Khamtieng, which shop sells it and at what price?

14 hours ago, EricTh said:

There are so many shops in Khamtieng, which shop sells it and at what price?

Eric just drive around, as everyone does, and look.Most of the growers dont have a name.We bought ours on the eastern, back, section near the lovely coffee shop partly hidden by plants. Prices vary according to size.Best if you can buy with one bearing fruit so you know its not  a Lime tree.

17 hours ago, EricTh said:

Of course they can be grown.They prefer well drained soil. I had more than a 100 citrus trees on my farm in Australia which gets pretty darn hot at times. Manderins, Calamondin (Fillipino fruit like Cumquat) Used to get $A6 a kilo wholesale for them,Lemons which you could hardly give away as they are prolific growers and in many Oz gardens.Theres pretty much nothing you cant grow here if you have some decent soil conditions and not fill from paddy fields

32 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

Eric just drive around, as everyone does, and look.Most of the growers dont have a name.We bought ours on the eastern, back, section near the lovely coffee shop partly hidden by plants. Prices vary according to size.Best if you can buy with one bearing fruit so you know its not  a Lime tree.

I'll start finding the coffee shop first. There're just too many shops there to ask one by one.

Most Thai people don't know difference between lime and lemon tree. They think lemon means lime.

In fact, Thai language doesn't differentiate between the two.

• 7 months later...

Hi!

We grow and sell organic lemons (we are an IFOAM, USDA and EU certified organic farm that really means it). Our pricing is definitely competitive to Makro and the like. So our peel can be used for baking and cooking as well without worries.

Please check Dinnagan Website for more info or call:

094-3276706

Maybe not worth it if you want a single fruit but if you are interested in a kilo or more... 

Archived