Visa Extension Jom Chien

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

That is just rubbish. I do not mean your report. I mean immigration stupid requirements. Glad it wasn't me. You showed great restraint no to chuck a wobbly. Meaning smack em. Fact is marriage extensions get a tough break. Retirement extensions by comparison walk in the park. Chin up op

Fact is some  marriage extensions get a tough break.

I agree with your post Dr.Jack, and Max has my sympathy, but as we all know, a lot depends on the particular Immigration Office you are forced to use. Many make up their own rules and form their own hoops.  My local IO is very quiet  (for obvious reasons), but better to have a good selection of photos than not enough.

3 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

Fact is some  marriage extensions get a tough break.

I agree with your post Dr.Jack, and Max has my sympathy, but as we all know, a lot depends on the particular Immigration Office you are forced to use. Many make up their own rules and form their own hoops.  My local IO is very quiet  (for obvious reasons), but better to have a good selection of photos than not enough.

Good post. Again its so sad that it sometimes gets down to imm office. Some folk have a horrible time with marriage extension and others its a walk-in park. Personally I would just do a retirement thing even if I was married. Of course it depends on finances.

• Like 2

Feedback appreciated OP but your conclusion may be optimistic. Did you return with the missing pictures and have your application accepted yet?

The cynic in me feels they are deliberately looking for a reason to say no, and that the Thai witness has not been completely removed from their list of reasons. 

It really is all too much, dragging a witness all over the place and having to supply these personal pictures. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, vogie said:

Last year it took me 3 visits to satisfy their requirements on the pictures at Jomptian, it seems to get more difficult year by year. Have to go again next month, not an experience I am looking forward to.

This is why getting a ThaiElite visa, despite being 50+, is a worthwhile alternative.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, galt67 said:

This is why getting a ThaiElite visa, despite being 50+, is a worthwhile alternative.

Maybe the 'elite' doesn't work like everything else immigration-related, but would bet those inventing "extra requirements" are working to achieve that outcome - with a financial-incentive for delivering results. 

2 hours ago, vogie said:

I think the clue is in the word "elite", some people don't have 500,000 baht to buy such a visa just for 5 years hassle free stay here.

Not to mention that retirement might, in any event, be the way to go for a smoother ride at annual extension of stay time at Jomtien - provided, of course, that you are over 50 and can meet the increased funding requirements.

2 hours ago, vogie said:

I think the clue is in the word "elite", some people don't have 500,000 baht to buy such a visa just for 5 years hassle free stay here.

Well until these last few rounds of visa crackdowns......The sales of the elite visa were tiny ....I read as of about 5  years ago they had only sold about 5-6 thousand of them.....So this shows even well-off people dont like wasting money.....

But as the visa screws get tighter many people especially the under 50s will be forced to make the choice of coughing up the money or leaving...  

• Like 1

On 2/22/2019 at 2:49 PM, maxcorrigan said:

one family shot

Can you clarify  "family shot"   I mean I can show my wife's,mother,sister,2 daughters and 2 granddaughters  as a "family shot"  ...but what if my wife and I lived  just the 2 of us  ???

5 minutes ago, johng said:

Can you clarify  "family shot"   I mean I can show my wife's,mother,sister,2 daughters and 2 granddaughters  as a "family shot"  ...but what if my wife and I lived  just the 2 of us  ???

A family shot could be only you and your wife. Just bad wording for it in his post.

• Thanks 1

Last year my photos where not excepted as we had included a "witness"  we had also dragged him to immigration with us where they said  "no need for a witness"  ,so after filling in the "new TM7 form"  getting "new photos"

photo copies ,signatures etc etc etc  application accepted  then 2 days later  they call and say they want to interview us at home ohh and bring the witness !!!!   that was the first time they have ever done a house visit

(6 years) this year I don't know if they will require the witness or not and/or visit again..I'm dreading having to apply  again next month ????

• Like 1

A little update on this thread, when they told us a witness was not required for the extensions, they also said there would be a home visit or their words an "interview" in your home, yesterday they rang my wife and said they would visit today Frid 01/03 and to have a witness ready, they duly turned up took 4 more pictures one showing number of the house again and two on the porch, they only interviewed our witness, the whole visit lasted about 6 minutes, not once did they enter the house, so presumably this is lieu of no witness required at their office in Jom Thien, unless of course ours was a one off visit, i don't know!

• Like 2

On 2/23/2019 at 7:34 AM, galt67 said:

If things are getting so bad that over 50s are being encouraged to look into a elite visa that just shows how terrible the Thailand visa situation is becoming.. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fforest1 said:

If things are getting so bad that over 50s are being encouraged to look into a elite visa that just shows how terrible the Thailand visa situation is becoming.. 

Depends on who you ask.  I've left my money in a Thai bank for 20 years and it's no change for me or any of the fellows I know. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, johng said:

@maxcorrigan was this your first extension ?

No it was my fifth, and never had a home visit before today, as stated i believe it's in place of no witness required at their office in soi 8, could be wrong though!

On 2/27/2019 at 9:56 AM, johng said:

Last year my photos where not excepted as we had included a "witness"  we had also dragged him to immigration with us where they said  "no need for a witness"  ,so after filling in the "new TM7 form"  getting "new photos"

photo copies ,signatures etc etc etc  application accepted  then 2 days later  they call and say they want to interview us at home ohh and bring the witness !!!!   that was the first time they have ever done a house visit

(6 years) this year I don't know if they will require the witness or not and/or visit again..I'm dreading having to apply  again next month ????

What you have posted there is pretty much what happened to me a couple of weeks back, so i would say you will not need a witness, our home visit with witness was today!

3 minutes ago, jimn said:

Where may I ask is Jom Chien? Never heard of this office, maybe its not even an immigration office. Maybe you should try Jomtien office, I dont think you will have a problem there.

Soi 8 it's the way i have spelt it the spelling is done in different ways, yours looks correct though!

On 2/27/2019 at 9:53 AM, ubonjoe said:

A family shot could be only you and your wife. Just bad wording for it in his post.

What i meant by family shot was the wife her Auntie (witness) myself and a two year old family member, plus two of me and wife in slightly different locations in the house, sorry for late reply

10 hours ago, maxcorrigan said:

No it was my fifth, and never had a home visit before today, as stated i believe it's in place of no witness required at their office in soi 8, could be wrong though!

Well it makes a little more sense than applicants filling up the hot crowded office with their neighbours in their witness program, but IOs having to traipse all over the darkside, and maybe beyond is all very silly too!

You are wrong, it's soi 5!

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

Well it makes a little more sense than applicants filling up the hot crowded office with their neighbours in their witness program, but IOs having to traipse all over the darkside, and maybe beyond is all very silly too!

You are wrong, it's soi 5!

My next door neighbour had his marriage extension visit recently, on the darkside.

It gave the IOs a chance to get out of the office and into the fresh air. All very friendly, my wife and I went round as witnesses, drinks and cake all round. Had a pleasant chat with them, a few "selfies" and off they went with wais all round.

Nice people and we all enjoyed their visit. It is what you make of it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1