I have the 800k, but??

23 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Not the US for sure. They were not looking at or reviewing any sort of documentation and were/are unwilling to do so.

My impression (could be wrong) is that Aus was the same.

UK though did require and review supporting documentation. So if this sort of language is considered OK by TI no reason they couldn't provide it.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Think its bit more simple. I can only speak for AU embassy. They only attested to au pp holder signing their stat DEC. This is zillion kms away from actually verifying. All the posts from UK, USA folk etc about showing pension statements etc was always a crock. Embassies can not verify that. 

On an aside...don't be surprised if some immigration offices just say "bank statements about income we no accept"... We only accept embassy letter or 800k in bank method.

30 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Not the US for sure. They were not looking at or reviewing any sort of documentation and were/are unwilling to do so.

My impression (could be wrong) is that Aus was the same.

UK though did require and review supporting documentation. So if this sort of language is considered OK by TI no reason they couldn't provide it.

You’re right about the US and AUS. But as far as I understand the wording must confirm the embassy has had proof of income, which a document alone isn’t. 

On the basis of documents shown to the consulate ... “, is worded to protect the consulate because they clearly have not proven income. IMO it doesn’t seem to comply with the requirement and is no better than what the UK embassy was already doing.

• Like 1

Just now, elviajero said:

You’re right about the US and AUS. But as far as I understand the wording must confirm the embassy has had proof of income, which a document alone isn’t. 

On the basis of documents shown to the consulate ... “, is worded to protect the consulate because they clearly have not proven income. IMO it doesn’t seem to comply with the requirement and is no better than what the UK embassy was already doing.

Yes, it sounds to me like exactly what the UK was already doing. 

The truth is that with exception of government pensions, which some (but not all Embassies) may have database access to verify, no Embassy is able to confirm proof of income. All any of them can do is ensure that there is documentation that supports it. No way Embassies can be checking back with investment companies, private banks and the like to confirm things like investment income, rental income, private pensions, private annuities etc. And in some countries privacy laws etc would prevent them from verifying even government pensions or equivalent.

I suspect that TI does not have a very well developed understanding of where foreigners' retirement incomes come from and was assuming that it was all government pensions, which by their logic (though not in fact true for many countries) an Embassy ought to be able to confirm.

On 2/22/2019 at 10:08 AM, Longcut said:

I like your scenario better than mine. My money in the bank I prefer to keep for emergencies. 

However , if you should need  to use your 800K for emergencies, 

you may not meet the new visa requirements,  times they are a changing .

More  changes expected ,    Goverment medical insurance for farlangs ,?    good idea  imo.

Edited by elliss

45 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

TI requested the BE verify incomes.

Because they couldn't comply, on Oct 8th 2018, they announced cessation of the service commencing Jan 1st 2019, with the last application date being Dec 12th.

On Dec 21st 2018 Immigration sent an urgent memorandum to IO's amending order 138/2557 which first came to public attention in Jan 2019.

That amendment  not only included for the first time acceptance of income deposited in a Thai bank account, OR,

'Income certification certified by the Embassy or Consulate'.

You don't have to be a fly on the wall to understand what went on behind the closed walls of TI, after the 3 biggest Embassies gave notice to cease their services. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2019 at 8:13 AM, Longcut said:

If there is now a requirement to leave a minimum 400K baht in the bank and never be able to withdraw the money. Why would someone want to have to show 65K baht a month going into a Thai bank account? Or leave 800K in the bank for six months? Wouldn't the combination method be the best option? That is only going to require 33,334 baht a month deposit. I can meet the 800K or the 65K a month option. But why, when I will only have to deposit 33,334 baht a month. Am I missing something?

Yes if you cannot live on 33k a month.

On 2/22/2019 at 3:57 PM, nasa123 said:

Does anyone think of when you die and monky in thai bank? A good friend of me died and he had a lot of money in Thai bank. His family had to have papers from the court in his home country translated into Thai and then in to court in Thailand and where the case is still after 4.5 years. And a think the money are gone forever, only hime have acces to the account.

Does anyone think about doing a will in Thailand that will  address any funds an expat/falang  has in a Thai bank?

Does anyone think about doing a will in Thailand that will  address any funds an expat/falang  has in a Thai bank?

Of course. That was mt sole reason for making a Thai will.

But it still has to go through the Thai courts. So saves just 1-2 sreps and stull takes time and will be a yassle.

16 hours ago, watcharacters said:

I am sure many do. Although it will still require engaging a solicitor and getting a Thai court order to instruct the bank to release funds to the beneficiary. 

Hopefully that does not take 4.5 years as in the case of being intestate.

Also I surely wish the police who will be involved don't take a shine to the idea!

Edited by jacko45k

16 hours ago, watcharacters said:

Most Thais register a simple Will at the Amphoe.

You can alternatively draft your own Will.

If your leaving your inheritance to a Thai wife, obtaining a Court Order with a Will only takes 3/4 weeks.

If your leaving it to foreign relatives, it's more complicated.

• Thanks 1

On 2/22/2019 at 3:31 PM, Tanoshi said:

Absolutely nothing!

The account balances won't be checked until your next extension, so if your not doing another extension, then there's no checking.

and what about the case at jomtien, the guy was given a paper to return with the bankbook after 90 days, the paper was posted here in the thread one week ago.

wbr

roobaa01

31 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Any difference if it is simply a partner?

No.

There are some abnormalities in making a Thai Will though as opposed to making one in your home Country.

Stating 'I leave all my worldly goods to XXXXXXX' isn't sufficient for a Thai Will.

Anything you leave should be itemised in the Will, including bank account details.

It must also be signed and witnessed by two Thais.

A lawyer relative of my wife sent me a draft copy their office use. (English).

I completed the blanks, had it translated to Thai, then both, signed, witnessed and copies of Tabien Baan and ID cards of all involved attached to the Will.

If your sufficiently interested send me a PM and I'll send the draft copy.

You can also have your wife/partner co-sign as an authorised signature to your Thai bank account, whilst it remains in your sole name. In the event of death she has the authority to withdraw funds using her signature and without a Will.

Obviously, you'd require 100% trust in your partner for that scenario.

Edited by Tanoshi

10 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

If your sufficiently interested send me a PM and I'll send the draft copy.

Thanks for the offer but I did mine at a lawyer's office in both Thai and English. I paid slightly over the odds according to a few I talked to but have confidence they have done it correctly. 

The itemizing has me worried, some of the bank details I listed have been superseded, (FD's matured and closed), also I plan to change my vehicle soon. Might just put that in her name to simplify things, if I can trust her by eating her cooking, I can trust her with the truck! If she drove off with it and didn't come back I would be  ahead on savings on toilet rolls and many other items in a few months!

Edited by jacko45k
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

The itemizing has me worried, some of the bank details I listed have been superseded, (FD's matured and closed), also I plan to change my vehicle soon.

That is the problem with itemising details in a Thai Will, if there is a change, you need to make an amendment to the Will.

I have a FD account with Bangkok bank. The FD account isn't closed at maturity, it's rolled over into a new 12 month term and the account number remains unchanged. Are you verbally closing the account, then opening a new account?

2 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

I have a FD account with Bangkok bank. The FD account isn't closed at maturity, it's rolled over into a new 12 month term and the account number remains unchanged. Are you verbally closing the account, then opening a new account?

In the past at BB FD accounts matured and automatically rolled over and became 3 month term FDs at an inferior rate. I still retain one to support my credit card. A past FD which matured, as I stated, I decided to close and move the money to a longer and better rate FD, hence the mismatch in my will.

More recently that FD money seems to roll over as you suggest into a new, same term. Interest rates are not moving as much these days and I am not sure when this policy changed. 

6 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I don't think it is required to include bank account numbers.

The first draft my lawyers did soecified "bank account at Bank X". I had them modify this to add "and any other bank accounts I may establish in Thailand".

Up to you. Would your beneficiaries know of any other banks, or bank account you may have opened?

I consulted the legal department at my local Amphoe, who draft Thai Wills and they categorically stated I should include any details of property, vehicles including make, model, registration and bank account details to avoid delays in the case of getting a Court Order.

16 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

More recently that FD money seems to roll over as you suggest into a new, same term. Interest rates are not moving as much these days and I am not sure when this policy changed. 

Changing interest rates or different terms haven't affected my account number for the previous 6 years.

I originally did a 3 month, then a 6 month term, to bring it inline with my extensions, so it matured just after my extension renewal date.

I've done 12 month terms since.

You do have to make it quite clear to the bank clerk and ensure she understands before adding any interest to the matured term and rolling it over, so they don't close it and start afresh. They don't understand the requirements of Immigration for foreigners.

You have to spell it out beforehand, logic and common sense doesn't always apply here as I'm sure your aware of.