Big mistake with Police

Murka

Hi Guys,

I drove car in Pattaya on the night and Police catch me. I drank some whiskey befere I rode car to get home. Breath tester  showed that I am over limit 10... 

The police man kept my ,, Thai driving licence card ,, and told me I have to go to jail . I told him that I can pay him some money. He want 10 000 I said “ok”

I told him I don’t have enough cash with me I need to go ATM. After I sat in car I decided leave police point without pay anything but he still keep my Thai driving licence . What can happened ?? What does it mean for me ?  I did not sign anything he have only my DL. 

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So now you don't have a drivers' licence so at every police stop you will get fined or hassled. And it is very possible that in the process of getting a new one, you might have to get a police report showing you "lost" your last one. In that process you may break another law by not telling the truth about how it was "lost". Also, a record might be placed against your vehicle when you wish to renew tax. As others have said, you may get a visit at your house to explain breaking yet another law - eg. driving away from the scene after being stopped.

I would go to the police station and find that police officer. And make sure you have the cash with you.

Maybe tell him you were very tired or something like that and this is why you didn't come back.

You both will know that you lied but you both want this problem to go away so just do what you promised and everything will be fine.

IMHO If that police officer can explain away a reason why he told you to wait, and you drove off, he is going to report you, now two counts of DUI, the first when he stopped you the second when you drove away, I hate corrupt police officers but not as much as drunk drivers, hope you did not post here expecting sympathy from everyone... 

45 minutes ago, bbko said:

Are you staying at the address on your driver's license? 

No I am not . Just I am don’t worry if they find me and I have to pay 30 000 I count with this option. But I worry If the someone stop me when I will leaving the country in the immigration. Do they are connecting together police and Immigration government ? By the way this problem with police happend 2 weeks ago ???? 

24 minutes ago, LennyW said:

Go straight to police station and proclaim loudly..."i am here with the 10,000 as promised for the cop that caught me drink driving last night" make sure it is loud and caught on camera!!

You Know this is make me crazy! Now I speded with my family 1 week in Chiang Rai I drove cross all country and I didn’t see any police on highways. But fuc.. Pattaya have police spot every 1 km . If they care about law why they don’t close all massage salons in Pattaya because sex for many is under low also .

4 hours ago, thaitero said:

Since this is a case when one criminal met another criminal, it is quite possible nothing will happen..

I hope I will don’t appear on some black list . I hope I can leave country without be arrested and lose my fly back home . 

Just now, Murka said:

I hope I will don’t appear on some black list . I hope I can leave country without be arrested and lose my fly back home . 

Do a test run. Get a re-entry permit and take a two-day holiday in Cambodia or Malaysia. Or just take a van from Pattaya to the Cambo border. See what happens.

1 minute ago, Murka said:

Ok what about Immigration can I lose my non o visa ? I have family here 

You do not 'lose a visa'. If you are convicted of a serious criminal offence, you may be deported and be blacklisted for a period, such as ten years. I do not think your offences would warrant that. There is a good chance the police officer has just thrown your licence in a drawer with many others and nothing will ever be processed in the legal system.

6 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

You do not 'lose a visa'. If you are convicted of a serious criminal offence, you may be deported and be blacklisted for a period, such as ten years. I do not think your offences would warrant that. There is a good chance the police officer has just thrown your licence in a drawer with many others and nothing will ever be processed in the legal system.

Thank for answer you make worry les . ????    

You are trying to beat a well oiled system. Go back to the police station with the 10k, explain to the highway robber that your account didn't have enough funds in it and you had to wait for some money to come from your country before you could pay him. It won't go away, save yourself the hassle.

9 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

I do not agree with this.

There actually is a good chance he is now in their system for what he did.  The cop is not going to admit the bribe ( if that even happened) and running from the cops from a criminal offence is serious.  Do not be surprised if when you try to leave the country you are detained and jailed.

1 hour ago, Basil B said:

IMHO If that police officer can explain away a reason why he told you to wait, and you drove off, he is going to report you, now two counts of DUI, the first when he stopped you the second when you drove away, I hate corrupt police officers but not as much as drunk drivers, hope you did not post here expecting sympathy from everyone... 

Ditto Basil B, especially last sentence. I'd like it if the corrupt cop added another "0" to the fine.

And then after fine paid, send him to jail.

Whiskey OP ?

Two things very disturbing here - one we are familiar with and is commented on multiple times daily, the other no one has mentioned (perhaps everyone expected it).

1) The crooked cop is willing to let a drunk driver not suffer any consequences in return for a bribe;

2) The cop lets the driver drive off drunk (so he can get the bribe money).

And if the drunk driver had returned with the money, the cop would have let him continue driving drunk.

Archived