BANGKOK 22 March 2019 03:14
Hal65

Would you use a debit card for shopping?

I read a while back that skimming is common in Thailand. My US CCs have some protection against that but what about Thai debit cards (for a Thai bank account)? I assume protections against loss are minimal here and cash is much safer but I thought I'd ask.

Had US CC skimmed in Chiang Mai...money taken from my account originated in the Ukraine.  Only use bank ATM machines with security guards now.

Have never been allowed to possess a Thai bank debit card.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Never. Always use cash. Don't even carry my debit cards, I've never lost my wallet but the lax checking at many outlets makes me concerned that people could use it just about anywhere and get away with it. To draw cash I use the Kasikorn cardless withdrawal so all my cards stay at home. One of the other things about Bangkok Bank and their app I don't like, no cardless withdrawal. Long way behind Kasikorn on that front.

on another note regarding CC purchases ....  has anybody had the same trouble as I'm having with Verified by Visa  ??    I had to get a new mobile number recently as the old one was cancelled ....  so went to the BB changed the number thinking all would work ... low and behold  !   tried to pay a bill online ... and of coarse nothing worked ...  I need 8 digit refence number .. then OTP .... then maybe something else ...  !!!!!   OMG  !   I gave up after 40 minutes on the phone to BB.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, steven100 said:

on another note regarding CC purchases ....  has anybody had the same trouble as I'm having with Verified by Visa  ??    I had to get a new mobile number recently as the old one was cancelled ....  so went to the BB changed the number thinking all would work ... low and behold  !   tried to pay a bill online ... and of coarse nothing worked ...  I need 8 digit refence number .. then OTP .... then maybe something else ...  !!!!!   OMG  !   I gave up after 40 minutes on the phone to BB.

Go in person to Bangkok Bank they are eager to help you solve the problem. If the problem continues go back to the same person. Phone calls in Thailand resolve very little if anything.

• Like 2

On 2/22/2019 at 8:48 AM, trd said:

Your Thai Bank ATM card is also a debit card.

Mine isn't.

Sophon

On 2/22/2019 at 4:24 AM, Puchaiyank said:

Had US CC skimmed in Chiang Mai...money taken from my account originated in the Ukraine.  Only use bank ATM machines with security guards now.

Have never been allowed to possess a Thai bank debit card.

How to u withdraw?

• Haha 1

Mine isn't.

Sophon
Every ATM I have ever got from a Thai bank has also been a debit card. Does it have Visa written on the front? If not just ask your bank for one.