Would you use a debit card for shopping?

I read a while back that skimming is common in Thailand. My US CCs have some protection against that but what about Thai debit cards (for a Thai bank account)? I assume protections against loss are minimal here and cash is much safer but I thought I'd ask.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I avoid using cash when I can. I always use my ATM/Debit card when shopping in big stores like Lotus and Big C, also in the smaller stores like 7-Eleven etc. I've been doing that for years and never had a problem. You should make sure you sign up for the SMS service from your bank which means you get a text every time there's a transaction in your account.

Had US CC skimmed in Chiang Mai...money taken from my account originated in the Ukraine.  Only use bank ATM machines with security guards now.

Have never been allowed to possess a Thai bank debit card.

Your Thai Bank ATM card is also a debit card.

Never. Always use cash. Don't even carry my debit cards, I've never lost my wallet but the lax checking at many outlets makes me concerned that people could use it just about anywhere and get away with it. To draw cash I use the Kasikorn cardless withdrawal so all my cards stay at home. One of the other things about Bangkok Bank and their app I don't like, no cardless withdrawal. Long way behind Kasikorn on that front.

I use a Thai Bank debit card for casual local purchases at known retailers (Tesco, Big-C, Max Value) but not at small shops. I never have more than B20,000 in that account at any one time, thus limiting how much I could loose if my card was hacked.

As "trd" pointed out, having transaction notification on your smartphone is a good precaution.

on another note regarding CC purchases ....  has anybody had the same trouble as I'm having with Verified by Visa  ??    I had to get a new mobile number recently as the old one was cancelled ....  so went to the BB changed the number thinking all would work ... low and behold  !   tried to pay a bill online ... and of coarse nothing worked ...  I need 8 digit refence number .. then OTP .... then maybe something else ...  !!!!!   OMG  !   I gave up after 40 minutes on the phone to BB.

"NEVER" .... never .... never!!! Did I say never use a debit when shopping Thailand or any other place for that matter. If there are problems with the purchase you have no recourse. The money is already y gone from your account. If you are using a credit card and the purchase has problems you can tell your credit card company to withhold payment to the merchant. They will do just that. In addition, the scammers can copy your PIN number on the debit card and make a duplicate of the card. By the time you realize what has happened your account is dry. Better safe than sorry.

1 minute ago, steven100 said:

on another note regarding CC purchases ....  has anybody had the same trouble as I'm having with Verified by Visa  ??    I had to get a new mobile number recently as the old one was cancelled ....  so went to the BB changed the number thinking all would work ... low and behold  !   tried to pay a bill online ... and of coarse nothing worked ...  I need 8 digit refence number .. then OTP .... then maybe something else ...  !!!!!   OMG  !   I gave up after 40 minutes on the phone to BB.

Go in person to Bangkok Bank they are eager to help you solve the problem. If the problem continues go back to the same person. Phone calls in Thailand resolve very little if anything.

1 minute ago, bangkoken said:

"NEVER" .... never .... never!!! Did I say never use a debit when shopping Thailand or any other place for that matter. If there are problems with the purchase you have no recourse. The money is already y gone from your account. If you are using a credit card and the purchase has problems you can tell your credit card company to withhold payment to the merchant. They will do just that. In addition, the scammers can copy your PIN number on the debit card and make a duplicate of the card. By the time you realize what has happened your account is dry. Better safe than sorry.

100% Correct. Never use a debit card to purchase goods or services Internationally or online. I use my debit card for purchases in the issuing country. I think about this also but I haven't had any issues.

I use my debit/ATM card Internationally for ATM cash withdrawals only. 

Credit Cards have much better protection. 

On 2/22/2019 at 4:24 AM, Puchaiyank said:

Had US CC skimmed in Chiang Mai...money taken from my account originated in the Ukraine.  Only use bank ATM machines with security guards now.

Have never been allowed to possess a Thai bank debit card.

How to u withdraw?

Never. Always use cash. Don't even carry my debit cards, I've never lost my wallet but the lax checking at many outlets makes me concerned that people could use it just about anywhere and get away with it. To draw cash I use the Kasikorn cardless withdrawal so all my cards stay at home. One of the other things about Bangkok Bank and their app I don't like, no cardless withdrawal. Long way behind Kasikorn on that front.
I used Kasikorn Cardless withdrawal for a couple of weeks but found it more of a faff than just using the ATM card so i switched back, but its good to know i can go cardless in an emergency

I have always use my bank ATM Visa Debit card for shopping knowing that if I lost it anyone could walk into a Big C and buy anything they wanted and I would have no recourse with the bank.. So to limit my exposure my day to day card in my wallet is on a separate account that I only kept ~20k in... and I top it off as needed for my main account via the banking app... So my loss limit is never more than 20k...

Also the card I use (K Bank) just expired and the new ATM/Visa card they gave me has a chip imbedded in it and requires a 6 digit pin... The pin is also required when I make purchases at stores and restaurants- every place seems to accept it (Rimping, Big C, Tesco and such) and online purchases require a sms code confirmation from my phone... so this new card should not be able to be used by anyone if lost or number skimmed

https://kasikornbank.com/en/personal/debit-card/Pages/K-Debit.aspx

1035EB1A-B028-45E9-BEF1-4AFBFC456AB9.jpeg

20 hours ago, dddave said:

I use a Thai Bank debit card for casual local purchases at known retailers (Tesco, Big-C, Max Value) but not at small shops. I never have more than B20,000 in that account at any one time, thus limiting how much I could loose if my card was hacked.

As "trd" pointed out, having transaction notification on your smartphone is a good precaution.

Like you, I have regularly used my Bangkok Bank Visa debit card for purchases at "reputable" stores as quoted by you. I also use it at TOPS supermarkets in Central Plazas and I have never experienced any hacks/scams over many years of living in North Thailand. 

20 hours ago, dddave said:

I do the same..20,000 in account max...but only at large stores.

21 hours ago, SooKee said:

I use the Kasikorn cardless withdrawal that sounds interesting how can I set that up ??

50 minutes ago, trd said:
1 hour ago, Sophon said:
Mine isn't.

Sophon

Every ATM I have ever got from a Thai bank has also been a debit card. Does it have Visa written on the front? If not just ask your bank for one.

No it doesn't have Visa/MC/Maestro or anything else printed on the front, nor does it have an expiration date. I believe you are correct that all recently issued cards are debit as well as ATM cards, but when I got mine in 2004 simple ATM cards were the standard.

And no, I don't want a debit card, I am happy with my ATM card. If I need debit/credit cards I have my foreign issued ones.

Sophon

I have used DC and CC all over the globe, they have been compromised but it has never been an issue for me, the Bank has always refunded the money, much safer than carrying loads of cash as well. I don’t know how but my bank HSBC appear to know when any of my cards have been compromised and contact me straight away.

if you get mugged you lose your cash, CC/DC can be replaced, if keep your cards in a safe place don’t disclose you PIN number the banks will never have a problem refunding any transactions.

No it doesn't have Visa/MC/Maestro or anything else printed on the front, nor does it have an expiration date. I believe you are correct that all recently issued cards are debit as well as ATM cards, but when I got mine in 2004 simple ATM cards were the standard.

And no, I don't want a debit card, I am happy with my ATM card. If I need debit/credit cards I have my foreign issued ones.

Sophon
Okay, so do whatever you want. But while I am quite happy to use my Thai Bank ATM/Debit card to pay for my groceries in Lotus or Big C I would never and have never used a foreign debit card here. If I encountered any problem with my Thai issued card it would be very easy to sort out any problems. But if I have problems with my foreign card then it becomes much more difficult as I'm not in my own country. Furthermore I rely on my debit card in conjunction with a code machine to authorize swift payment transfers from my own country. Without that facility I would have a real problem so I'm not prepared to take the risk.

I should add that the only time I ever use my foreign debit card is to make online payments like buying airline tickets for instance. But I would never swipe it through a machine in a shop or restaurant in Thailand. There have been too many cases of stolen credit and debit card numbers.

3 minutes ago, trd said:

I should add that the only time I ever use my foreign debit card is to make online payments like buying airline tickets for instance. But I would never swipe it through a machine in a shop or restaurant in Thailand. There have been too many cases of stolen credit and debit card numbers.

I only ever use my CC for online purchases, the majority of the times for booking flights, it has been compromised in the past in fact just recently. 

I only use my debit card to withdraw money from an ATM, never to make a purchase. Who wants anyone to be able to track how you spend your money? I shudder at the thought of a cashless society.
I welcome the thought of cashless society. I can't wait for it to happen!

1 hour ago, bangkoken said:

A non-resident can only get a debit card?

Archived