Would you use a debit card for shopping?

On 2/22/2019 at 4:24 AM, Puchaiyank said:

Had US CC skimmed in Chiang Mai...money taken from my account originated in the Ukraine.  Only use bank ATM machines with security guards now.

Have never been allowed to possess a Thai bank debit card.

You don't have a Thai bank account and ATM card?   If you do that ATM card is a debit card (or at least my Kbank ATM card is).

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 8:48 AM, trd said:

Your Thai Bank ATM card is also a debit card.

Not always. We were not allowed to have one with our joint account for many years. It was an ATM card only.

That has now been rectified after we switched branches.

Like others here, I have used a Thai debit card (on my personal account) without any problems for nearly 5 years now.

I only use debit cards when I shop here, nothing else. 

As a Norwegian, coming from a "cashless" society where you use you card even for small transactions, a Thai debit card was the first thing I applied for when I moved here back in 2011.  

I have 3 accounts with Kasikorn , and one debit card hooked up to one of the accounts. 

It works almost anywhere so I never carry cash with me. Only a few baht in my pocket. Every month I go through the transactions online just to check if there has been any problems but I have never seen any mistakes like double charging etc, 

Just get a card and relax. 

Never. Always use cash. Don't even carry my debit cards, I've never lost my wallet but the lax checking at many outlets makes me concerned that people could use it just about anywhere and get away with it. To draw cash I use the Kasikorn cardless withdrawal so all my cards stay at home. One of the other things about Bangkok Bank and their app I don't like, no cardless withdrawal. Long way behind Kasikorn on that front.
Krungsri has cardless. Can you use cardless in any Bank's ATM or do you have to use a machine from your own Bank?

1 minute ago, trd said:
On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 12:32 PM, SooKee said:
Never. Always use cash. Don't even carry my debit cards, I've never lost my wallet but the lax checking at many outlets makes me concerned that people could use it just about anywhere and get away with it. To draw cash I use the Kasikorn cardless withdrawal so all my cards stay at home. One of the other things about Bangkok Bank and their app I don't like, no cardless withdrawal. Long way behind Kasikorn on that front.

Krungsri has cardless. Can you use cardless in any Bank's ATM or do you have to use a machine from your own Bank?

Krungsri cardless only works at a Krungsri ATM..

I keep most of my cash in accounts that have no card attached.

I then have a specific account that a keep a balance of 50K thb in. It has a debit card attached.

I use the card for online purchases such as booking a hotel room or plane ticket.

No problems to date.

I figure if I get hit by a skimmer the damage is contained.

On 2/22/2019 at 4:24 AM, Puchaiyank said:

Had US CC skimmed in Chiang Mai...money taken from my account originated in the Ukraine.  Only use bank ATM machines with security guards now.

Have never been allowed to possess a Thai bank debit card.

ATM machine,  automatic teller machine machine

18 minutes ago, Khaeng Mak said:

I then have a specific account that a keep a balance of 50K thb in. It has a debit card attached.

I use the card for online purchases such as booking a hotel room or plane ticket.

No problems to date.

Add no internet banking to that. 

Yeah, my problem is that my debit card links to my main account. Now there's a 20,000bt a day limit on that for ATM withdrawals, I'm not sure if that applies online. I'm thinking I should set up a separate account, purely for online purchases. At the moment I use cash for everything, although I did use the 7/11 thing to pay for an hotel recently. Now, I wouldn't be totally destroyed if someone cleaned out my main account, as my main source of income is pension based, still, the thought is scary.

1 hour ago, trd said:

Do you know why airfares became so low over the years? Because of computer booking systems for purchasing tickets and tracking your every move while you travel. Scary stuff huh?

Silly me thought it was because aircraft are now so much more fuel efficient and there is a lot more competition between airlines ????

Silly me thought it was because aircraft are now so much more fuel efficient and there is a lot more competition between airlines [emoji12]
Yeah that's also true smarty pants along with computer efficient systems that support the entire transport infrastructure which allow planes to fly. Okay I'll concede that the Wright brothers probably didn't need it to get off the ground. [emoji51]

2 hours ago, sfokevin said:

I have this BKK Bank Debit Visa also... it is the same as The KBank card accept it used the older 4 digit pin and when you make purchases they do not require you enter a pin... The K Bank card has the added protection of requiring a pin for purchases also...

At Lotus, they require the pin only above 1,500 baht... 

But otherwise, yes, the pin should be required for all payments, never mind the amount. 

What's the point of having a security pin code if it's never required? 

I pay with a debit card for almost everything in Australia. I carry a small amount of cash for those merchants who won't process a card under a certain amount.

I pay cash for everything in Thailand. I have a Thai debit card and an Australian debit card for emergency use.

Why? I have a trust deficit with the Thai financial system.

On 2/22/2019 at 8:46 AM, trd said:

I avoid using cash when I can. I always use my ATM/Debit card when shopping in big stores like Lotus and Big C, also in the smaller stores like 7-Eleven etc. I've been doing that for years and never had a problem. You should make sure you sign up for the SMS service from your bank which means you get a text every time there's a transaction in your account.

And if possible ,have more than one bank account. The debit card one is to have only a monthly stipend so if anything goes tits up, you only lose a small amount. You can always top it up when it is depleted. 

On 2/23/2019 at 1:34 PM, Khaeng Mak said:

No problems to date.

Great to hear. I should have qualified my statement. I have cards BUT I only use for transaction that a card is mandatory. I try to use cash as much as possible. Card transactions are logged - so are telephone transactions. Important note: If you want to protect your privacy (from government and all prying eyes ) don't use electronic means of payment. Just imagine what your bank statement would look like if you are a naughty boy in Patts and BKK.

Day 1. <deleted> Noi

Day 2. <deleted> Noi again - twice

Day 3. ???

Day 4 ???

Day 5 Get the idea.

People might not understand. Your reputation is sold on-line to insurance companies and many, many others.

2 hours ago, Melbun said:

don't use electronic means of payment. Just imagine what your bank statement would look like if you are a naughty boy in Patts and BKK.

Whilst the ladies in Pattaya are quite switched on using their phones I have not heard that electronic transfers for short term services rendered have become a standard option..........

Or do you know different?

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 4:41 PM, trd said:
On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 4:24 PM, Melbun said:
What is this silly infatuation with bits of plastic imitating cash ??
Cash is king. You easily can get scammed with plastic and by using plastic you are relinquishing power to banks and governments. They can, and do keep tabs on what you are doing - with YOUR money. The dream of all governments and banks is to eliminate cash.
One press of their button means you can be denied access to YOUR money. It's all about control - control of people.
Advice - use cash everywhere - as the first option. Don't be brainwashed by banks. Don't get taken in. Don't surrender power to others.

You are not alone. There are many like you who prefer to go through life playing scared, paranoid conspiracy theorist victims. You are here in Thailand because you were able to afford the airfare. Do you know why airfares became so low over the years? Because of computer booking systems for purchasing tickets and tracking your every move while you travel. Scary stuff huh?

BS -The fares became low due to competition with many low cost carriers in the market place. You can scoff at the idea of a cashless society, but to your detriment when it happens. Then you will bleat when the missus sees all your bargirl transactions on the statement or when the ATM chews it up and you have no cash in your pocket. Bet you have a pocket full of little bits of worthless plastic.

PS remember the days when the boss paid you in cash. Now you are compelled to use banks, they will use your money and give you just about no interest and charge you for the privilege. Cash is king. Governments and banks want control and want to know the in's and out's even of a dog's ar*e - YES - it is scary stuff.  idiot.

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 7:42 PM, topt said:

Whilst the ladies in Pattaya are quite switched on using their phones I have not heard that electronic transfers for short term services rendered have become a standard option..........

Not yet. But if it becomes necessary they are service providers after all.  Cards are embedded with chips "paywave". And many institutions are actively trying to get you to use your phone for transactions.  Cash, cash. cash. lets start a revolution men !!!

Conspiracy theorist - I think not.

I must be an incredibly lucky, proficient & highly skilled individual [emoji846] 
31 years in Thailand, always paid cash, never had any money stolen - further - never lost my wallet! - Impressive eh! I really don't understand what the big deal is against using cash - its easy, off course "government" & CC companies will/do push for a cashless society, more data for them to add into their algorithms, but hey we know they can be trusted [emoji23]

In your opinion, what will the government do with the “algorithms?

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

11 minutes ago, Melbun said:

Yep !! spot on - a man with sense and foresight. Wave bye bye to cash - wave bye bye to your freedom. You choose.

What will they do with the algorithm?? - <deleted> use it against you in some way, shape or form to their advantage. Sell info to "anyone" - even to your health insurer when you get sick. More taxes, target you and your spending habits and question you why you <deleted> Noi twice in the one day and does you wife know of your vices you have been keeping from her :))

On 2/28/2019 at 3:42 PM, topt said:

It's really easy to set up a QR code for clients to pay you, you just need a local bank account with Promptpay set up. Thai bank accounts can pay into it not sure if customers with foreign accounts are able to use it.

If anyone wishes to add to my "Beer While Moderating" fund ...

20190223_124136.jpg.f97c2c4bd75b7b2f4813b61c5b61ff94.jpg

On 2/22/2019 at 12:32 PM, SooKee said:

Why don't you also leave yourself at home? You're taking a terrible risk taking yourself out into this horrible world.

Archived