Cannabis : Clear guidelines ‘will attract amnesty seekers’

webfact

Cannabis : Clear guidelines ‘will attract amnesty seekers’

By The Nation

e3b3d757abe6fdaf0022d81a9926b582.jpeg

UNDERGROUND CANNABIS USERS WILL NOT COME FORWARD IF CONDITIONS UNCLEAR: EXPERTS

IT WILL take solid assurances to persuade current cannabis users to come forward for amnesty, a prominent academic told the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) yesterday. 

“Patients will be worried about registering for the amnesty if they still have concerns that they may not be able to use cannabis later. If constraints and conditions set by authorities are unclear, underground users of cannabis won’t come forward,” said Panthep Phuaphongphan, dean of Rangsit University’s Institute of Integrative Medicine and Anti-Ageing. 

He was speaking at a focus-group discussion held by the FDA. The event aimed to gather opinions on three draft subordinate laws on providing amnesty for cannabis users and possessors. 

Last week, the Drug Committee approved the three drafts in support of legalising medical marijuana.

The FDA, however, will have to gather opinions from different sides before taking them forward. 

The first draft offers amnesty to organisations and researchers in the fields of modern medicine and traditional Thai medicine, if they register within a given timeframe. 

The second draft offers amnesty to patients, while the third offers amnesty to all other users and possessors of cannabis. 

While those who possess cannabis but are not patients or researchers will be pardoned, they will have to give up all the marijuana they possess. 

Under the law, cannabis is considered an illicit drug and possession or use of it is punishable by a fine and/or a jail term.

FDA secretary-general Tares Krassanairawiwong yesterday sought to assure patients who are dependent on cannabis that they will be allowed to use it until new systems of cannabis distribution are put in place. 

Cannabis is said to be useful for patients battling Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s, chronic pain as well as nausea related to chemotherapy.

Tares also emphasised that the proposed amnesty was not designed to favour foreign firms that have been seeking patents for medical marijuana. 

Due to protests from several activists and non-governmental organisations, controversial patent requests involving cannabis have already been thrown out.

Asst Professor Niyada Kiatying-Angsulee from Thai Drug Watch voiced concerns at yesterday’s event that these firms might soon protest the dismissal of their applications and benefit from the amnesty. 

Professor Dr Thiravat Hemachudha urged the FDA to allow volunteer cannabis growers to continue growing the herb after they receive amnesty. “These people have been working underground for the sake of patients,” he said. 

Anunchai Assawamakin, who teaches pharmaceutical sciences at Mahidol University, meanwhile called for a clear-cut production process for medical marijuana. 

“There should be specific agencies to handle the matter,” he said. 

Tares, meanwhile, said the Drug Committee will again discuss the draft legislation for cannabis-related amnesty today. 

“We will also hold video conferences with provincial public-health offices nationwide, so as to boost understanding and ensure proper implementation,” he added. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30364545

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-02-22

Smokers don't want to give up their weed. They want to be able to use it without fear of prosecution. If they think weed smokers will be lining up to give up their stash they are so far out of touch they should be removed from their positions immediately. 

I'm sure that when they realize how much MONEY there is to be made, their attitude will change. Face it, would you rather have a mellow, stoned populace or a hopped-up-on-amphetamine populace? Rocket science this ain't. [emoji41]

I hope any Thais reading this will not tar all farang with considering them money-grubbing as you suggest.

I personally have early Parkinson,s and would like to try CBD when I need it in future. I have often not been charged or been charged low, for medical treatment for both this and other problems.i have found Thais to be fairly generous and usually honest people who tend to look after those in need.

Why would we want to say things publicly to alienate ourselves as a group?

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

37 minutes ago, akirasan said:

Smokers don't want to give up their weed. They want to be able to use it without fear of prosecution. If they think weed smokers will be lining up to give up their stash they are so far out of touch they should be removed from their positions immediately. 

Give up my stash? Ha ha ha. Not a chance he said...

Wow! It takes an expert to make that statement and took them so long to figure that one out? I have only one rule. Never admit it to ANYONE outside YOUR circles unless it's 100% legal for recreational use.

Lastly, does this amnesty apply for farangs who are here legally and on their best behaviour? Or is this amnesty just for Thais?

I would like to welcome any information from anyone who has any inside information. Thank you.

This amnesty makes no sense to me at all, maybe I just don’t understand it.

it is my understanding that around June you will be able to get Cannabis Oil only.

I tried Oil in USA, IT DID NOTHING FOR ME.

They should just legalize it, legalize the good green bud strains available in USA states where it is legal already.

there is overwhelming studies and documentation available that show it is beneficial, both to the patient and to the government in revenue.

why make such a big mystery of it?

6 hours ago, cheeryble said:

I hope any Thais reading this will not tar all farang with considering them money-grubbing as you suggest.

I personally have early Parkinson,s and would like to try CBD when I need it in future. I have often not been charged or been charged low, for medical treatment for both this and other problems.i have found Thais to be fairly generous and usually honest people who tend to look after those in need.

Why would we want to say things publicly to alienate ourselves as a group?

All true, but money is god in Thailand, like most places. And I never used nor implied 'money-grubbing'. That's from your head.

I was hoping thing would be sorted quickly as only a Junta can but alas I see little progress before I head back to Canada in May. Perhaps on a future trip to Thailand, things will be properly sorted.

Archived