Jump to content
BANGKOK 25 March 2019 17:11
tomx2

Want to get O-A visa. A couple of questions.

Recommended Posts

 

 

Hi.

 

I want to apply for the O-A visa at the  U.S. New York City Consulate. 

 

Read their website and pulled off the O-A requirements for review.

Can someone familiar with getting a O-A visa help me with a few (Q's) before I visit the Embassy.

I am retired.

 

O-A Required Documents from New York Embassy website.

 

Medical certificate showing no prohibitive diseases as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No.14(B.E. 2535) certificate shall be valid for not more .

 

I can get a full medical checkup from my local MD. And bring a copy of my results.

 

Letter of verification stating that the applicant has no criminal record (verification have to valid for not more than three months and must be issued from a state or Federal Bureau of Investigation only. Online criminal record without authorization's signature is unacceptable )

 

A little unclear about this. I have no criminal record. Do I just go to my local Police Department and request a background check on me for a fee? Will they supply BG document for me? How did other member get this background verification?

 

Bank statement or evidence of adequate finance showing a deposit of the amount equal to and not less than 800,000 Baht or an income certificate (an original copy) with a monthly income of not less than 65,000 Baht, or a deposit account plus a monthly income totaling not less than 800,000 Baht In the case of submitting a bank statement, a letter of guarantee from the bank (an original copy) is required.

 

OK, so here is what I have.

Assets:

1. A bank Statement with a deposit of $85,000.00 in Checking/Savings.

2. Multiple Funds in a 401k plan worth about $1 million dollars. The Funds are eligible for withdrawal.

3. A pension savings plan having about $400,00.00. Contribution to this plan is still provided by my previous Job.

4. Statement from Social Security estimating my current monthly disbursement.

I have decline withdrawing SS funds at this time.

 

What should I provide for their financial request?

 

Thanks.

TC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The doctor has to complete and sign this medical certificate form. https://www.thaicgny.com/app/download/755577764/doctor.pdf

You have to complete this form as well. https://www.thaicgny.com/app/download/755577772/personal.pdf

Source of forms: https://www.thaicgny.com/ภาษาอ-งกฤษ-english-version/visa-service/visa-applicatform/

How you obtain the criminal background varies from state to state. Some can be applied for online the then a signed copy is sent to you,

It appears that this one would be the easiest financial proof to get and is more than enough "1. A bank Statement with a deposit of $85,000.00 in Checking/Savings" Have the ban print it out and sign it stating it is valid.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi.

I notice there are many online websites offering background checks for a fee.

I'm not sure which one is legitimate or running a scam.

Can any member recommend one (they used) that does a reliable criminal background check?

 

Thanks.

TC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, tomx2 said:

I can get a full medical checkup from my local MD. And bring a copy of my results.

They don't care full medical check up. Why do you want to do a full medical check up? 

You need to take the form provided in the embassy website and get your doctor sign it, stamp it, and if required notarize it. I applied in Washington DC and that does not require notarization. What the doctor does is between you and your doctor. My doctor did not do any thing. He looked at it, laughed at it and signed it. 
 

21 hours ago, tomx2 said:

Letter of verification stating that the applicant has no criminal record (verification have to valid for not more than three months and must be issued from a state or Federal Bureau of Investigation only. Online criminal record without authorization's signature is unacceptable )

They say it should be from at least a state level check. You could also request a FBI check.  Those online checks are not acceptable. If you want to take a chance, take a chance with your county police check. I went to my local county clerk's office and got one instantly for free. I got my O-A. Again this is from Washington, DC. New York may reject it. You should get at least a state level police check. 

 

21 hours ago, tomx2 said:

OK, so here is what I have.

Assets:

1. A bank Statement with a deposit of $85,000.00 in Checking/Savings.

2. Multiple Funds in a 401k plan worth about $1 million dollars. The Funds are eligible for withdrawal.

3. A pension savings plan having about $400,00.00. Contribution to this plan is still provided by my previous Job.

4. Statement from Social Security estimating my current monthly disbursement.

What do you think you should  provide? Using common sense I think 1 will suffice. If you meet minimum requirement, just show the document that meets minimum requirement. Why bother with other documents? 

I have an O-A from Washington, DC. What is lacking in today's world is common sense. Providing unnecessary documents to embassy, overloading and annoying their stuff and then complaining if it results in failure. No wonder the immigration in Thailand is pissed off and wants to avoid farangs and demand clean and concise agent submitted applications along with some tea money. 

Edited by onera1961
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, onera1961 said:

They don't care full medical check up. Why do you want to do a full medical check up

You need to take the form provided in the embassy website and get your doctor sign it, stamp it, and if required notarize it. I applied in Washington DC and that does not require notarization. What the doctor does is between you and your doctor. My doctor did not do any thing. He looked at it, laughed at it and signed it. 

Yes, the embassy has enough applications and paperwork to deal with, and won't appreciate anything that's not strictly on the list. The medical certificate is a list of 19th century diseases, most doctors would find it hard to keep a straight face. Fortunately leprosy, elephantiasis, tuberculosis and 3rd stage syphilis can be diagnosed on sight, though my doctor did feel obliged to make a token effort, and pulled out the stethoscope before signing the form. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The doctor has to complete and sign this medical certificate form. https://www.thaicgny.com/app/download/755577764/doctor.pdf

You have to complete this form as well. https://www.thaicgny.com/app/download/755577772/personal.pdf

Source of forms: https://www.thaicgny.com/ภาษาอ-งกฤษ-english-version/visa-service/visa-applicatform/

How you obtain the criminal background varies from state to state. Some can be applied for online the then a signed copy is sent to you,

It appears that this one would be the easiest financial proof to get and is more than enough "1. A bank Statement with a deposit of $85,000.00 in Checking/Savings" Have the ban print it out and sign it stating it is valid.

 

 

Interesting on the personal form, it asks for monthly income and amount of saving.  I presume the officials would care about one or the other depending on whether one used the income or savings amount method to qualify for the visa.  One question on the monthly income:  My yearly passive income is currently ~ $60,000, but some months are more than others since some of my stocks pay their dividends quarterly.  My lowest monthly income is ~3,000, my largest are up around $9,000.  So wondering what value for monthly income would be used or expected by the embassy officials?  I can and would provide the next year estimates and also previous actuals and a bank letter if required, but wondering what the Thais would want to see and what would confuse them the least?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You didn't indicate where you live in the states. Make sure it is the NY Embassy you need to be dealing with and not the LA Consulate... ask me how I know....

 

Include signed copies of your SS statement obtainable from SSA Dashboard and signed copies of other annuity statements. They needed to be noterized last I did but YMMV. I bargained the notary fee down as I was doing several. Again YMMV. Other types of income I can't say but include anything that's relevant.

 

Go to a local Mail Biz type shop. There is a cottage industry in background check for employment and those Postal/Copy/Notary shops often offer this service. Ask for the form for "self request" or "visa request", Those forms should be available at the shop or off the website of the company doing the check.

 

I got my med statement at a walk in clinic. Easy. While your there made sure your vaccinations are up to date.

 

 

Edited by Dogberry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gk10002000 said:

wondering what the Thais would want to see and what would confuse them the least?

Showing 800K worth in the bank would be the easiest method to use to qualify.  You only have to prove money "in the bank" OR income to qualify (or a combo, but let's leave that aside for now). 

 

If they want you to put income as well, you could use a conservative estimate (don't get into previous returns, which would confuse the issue).

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I sent a email today to the New York City Thai Embassy regarding what Criminal Background documents must I submit.

 

State Criminal Background Check - I can get a State background check from New York State Unified Court System for $65.00.

 

FBI Criminal Background Check – Website FBI.Gov - “FBI Identify History Summary” will provide a criminal background check for $18.00. I must supply my Fingerprints to them which is a separate fee to the fingerprint service.

 

Both State & FBI documents must be certified. I believe the Post Office can do the certification.

 

@Dogberry:

You mention go to a “Mail Biz type shop” or Postal/Copy/Notary shop. Are these UPS and Postal Office? And their providing Criminal Background checks services?

Did a google search but only found UPS & Post Office offering Notary service.

Do you have a link as an example?

 

Thanks.

TC.

Edited by tomx2
changed 2 words in reply.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, tomx2 said:

I sent a email today to the New York City Thai Embassy regarding what Criminal Background documents must I submit.

 

State Criminal Background Check - I can get a State background check from New York State Unified Court System for $65.00.

 

FBI Criminal Background Check – Website FBI.Gov - “FBI Identify History Summary” will provide a criminal background check for $18.00. I must supply my Fingerprints to them which is a separate fee to the fingerprint service.

 

Both State & FBI documents must be certified. I believe the Post Office can do the certification.

 

@Dogberry:

You mention go to a “Mail Biz type shop” or Postal/Copy/Notary shop. Are these UPS and Postal Office? And their providing Criminal Background checks services?

Did a google search but only found UPS & Post Office offering Notary service.

Do you have a link as an example?

 

Thanks.

TC.

I got my background check in Florida.  The certification was just a stamp that was on the document that I received.  Again, are you sure that you are covered by the Consulate in NYC?  Dealing with the Embassy is easier where nothing needs to be notarized. I submitted both income proof and bank balance but I think only one is required.

Edited by AAArdvark
typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Rocking Robert

Normally it is 7 years, but individual States have the discretion to go back further. 

@AAArdvark

It is actually named the Royal Thai Consulate General-NY.  But it also serves as the Thai Embassy. I normally get a METV  visa every year from their office.  

(Q) - Did you use an online agency to perform your background check in Florida?

 

TC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My background check at Mail-Biz in CA cost me $20. They do the fingerprinting, process the request and all I had to do was come back a couple days later and PU my results.

 

The company they use is called LIVE SCAN at certifixlivescan.com.  Their web site has a locations search function. Search their site for the "background check for VISA" it's there somewhere.

 

Not knowing where you are I'm not sure where you'll find them but I do know criminal background checks for employment is a thing. 

 

So again... My story. Several years I obtained a Non Imm O-A from NY (was living in Oregon) then years later, due to s***-happening I had to get another one. So I dutifully gathered my stuff and Fed-Ex'd it off to NY. A week later I got it back saying "sorry" you need to apply at the LA Consulate. I had to buy two new fed ex envelops and resend (sheeeeech). I dunno where the "line is for NY/LA" but save yourself $50 bucks and make sure first.

Edited by Dogberry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry I didn't give you the Live Scan info right off the bat but I had to dredge what remains of my memory to recall it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Question for UbonJoe, Sir, if you see this maybe you help out. I've looked and looked at both the LA and NY RoyalThai sites and I CANNOT FIND any info on where the line is for NY/LA! As stated above my first O-A was processed by NY. At that time I was in Oregon. The second O-A needed to go to LA but I was in CA at the time.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...