Monkees Singer and Bassist Peter Tork Dies at 77

webfact

Monkees Singer and Bassist Peter Tork Dies at 77

pt.jpg

Picture: Reuters

Peter Tork, bassist and singer for The Monkees, died Thursday at age 77. The cause of death is unknown. Tork played with the group from their earliest days as a made-for-TV band in the 1960s, through to their recent reunion tours.

He was diagnosed with rare tongue cancer in 2009, but made a full recovery and was back on the road with The Monkees in 2012. Tork toured with the band through 2016 when he was sidelined for undisclosed reasons.

The musician played a lovable dimwit on The MonkeesTV show, but in real life was an accomplished songwriter and performer. He wrote several songs for the group, including “Can You Dig It?” and “For Pete’s Sake.” “While it is true that my health has required a little more attention these days, I’m feeling pretty good,” Tork wrote on Facebook in October.

Full story: https://www.thedailybeast.com/monkees-singer-and-bassist-peter-tork-dies-at-77

-- DAILY BEAST 2019-02-22

RIP Peter. Some of the best sounding and produced albums of the time (love that Wrecking Crew).

Okay, so didn't play instruments always a charge against them, the pre-fab four. As one pointed out, they were actors pretending to be musicians, not vice versa.

Considering state of music these days with auto tune, drum machines, punch some numbers, I'll take the Monkees.

38 minutes ago, Emdog said:

RIP Peter. Some of the best sounding and produced albums of the time (love that Wrecking Crew).

Okay, so didn't play instruments always a charge against them, the pre-fab four. As one pointed out, they were actors pretending to be musicians, not vice versa.

Considering state of music these days with auto tune, drum machines, punch some numbers, I'll take the Monkees.

Their first few records, instruments were played by studio musicians.. that much is correct.

However all the Monkees could play instruments and did so for their following recordings and live on stage.  Nezmith and Dolenz played guitar, and Dolenze also took drum lessons and became an accomplished drummer. Tork could and did play guitar, keyboards and banjo. Jones learned to play drums and guitar quite well, and a custom bass guitar was specially built for him. Jones also played other percussion instruments. 

4 hours ago, Catoni said:

Their first few records, instruments were played by studio musicians.. that much is correct.

However all the Monkees could play instruments and did so for their following recordings and live on stage.  Nezmith and Dolenz played guitar, and Dolenze also took drum lessons and became an accomplished drummer. Tork could and did play guitar, keyboards and banjo. Jones learned to play drums and guitar quite well, and a custom bass guitar was specially built for him. Jones also played other percussion instruments. 

And Nesmith wrote "Different Drum" Linda Ronstadts first hit with Stone Poneys. If you have ability, watch great film "The Wrecking Crew" (not the Dean Martin flick) about those amazing studio musicians who played on a ridiculous amount of hits, from surf to Sinatra.

Loved Monkees film "Head". Where else could you see Sonny Liston, Zappa, Dennis Hopper and Jack Nicholson in same goofy surreal film?

22 minutes ago, Emdog said:

And Nesmith wrote "Different Drum" Linda Ronstadts first hit with Stone Poneys. If you have ability, watch great film "The Wrecking Crew" (not the Dean Martin flick) about those amazing studio musicians who played on a ridiculous amount of hits, from surf to Sinatra.

Loved Monkees film "Head". Where else could you see Sonny Liston, Zappa, Dennis Hopper and Jack Nicholson in same goofy surreal film?

Really liked "Different Drum" and can still remember the words now!!

Also liked the Monkees for their all round abilities and wouldn't miss their shows.

1 hour ago, atyclb said:

i got their first album as a gift and was a big fan for a while until i heard jimi hendrix that is.

Hendrix was ‘da man. Amazing talent. Known all over the U.S., Canada, Europe, Australia and many other countries. Hated that he died so young. Gone much too early....like many young talented musicians and singers back then. 

7 hours ago, soistalker said:

They were a lot of fun. Being the monkees, without all four coming off as douchbags, was probably their greatest charm.

They were alotta fun! Always sad to hear such news. Had the pleasure to meet Davy Jones (who died at 66) in Boston Logan Airport in the early 90s. He could not have been nicer and more approachable. I strolled up and mentioned I had just seen him on Howard Stern and we both had a good laugh...then a nice chat.

Seems Peter Tork would have been the same kind of friendly fellow. Condolences. :402:

4 hours ago, Catoni said:

Hendrix was ‘da man. Amazing talent. Known all over the U.S., Canada, Europe, Australia and many other countries. Hated that he died so young. Gone much too early....like many young talented musicians and singers back then. 

I preferred The Monkees to Hendrix.........one man's meat etc. And The Beatles to The Stones.

2 hours ago, wgdanson said:
6 hours ago, Catoni said:

I preferred The Monkees to Hendrix.........one man's meat etc. And The Beatles to The Stones.

initially i also loved the monkees but then heard the live at fillmore east band of gypsies hendrix. blew me away.  it was not purple haze or foxey lady but the incredible live performance that was my first exposure to hendrix

heres a beatles song for you

Loved last train to Clarksville as a nine year old watching the Monkees on TV.

Other successful manufactured bands.

The Archies (Sugar, sugar).

Boney M.

Milli Vanilli (same bloke who did Boney M).

Little Mix.

Backstreet Boys.

Girls Aloud.

One Direction.

N'Sync.

New Kids on the Block.

Spice Girls.

22 hours ago, Emdog said:

If you have ability, watch great film "The Wrecking Crew" (not the Dean Martin flick) about those amazing studio musicians who played on a ridiculous amount of hits, from surf to Sinatra.

Thanks for the tip........watched it last night and thought it was very good.

And those old songs; Ah/sigh/pleasure.........and the motown/wall of sound hits were brilliant and really brought back old and good memories!

On 2/22/2019 at 12:53 PM, atyclb said:

i got their first album as a gift and was a big fan for a while until i heard jimi hendrix that is.

and i still liked the monkees but hendrix was in a league of his own, more a force of nature than a musician. listening to band of gypsies today is still as fresh and uplifting as it was then. electric ladyland was also a good album.  too bad hendrix never did 1983 live, though randy hansen did and it is amazing

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 7:21 PM, Emdog said:

LOL. I think one had to be stoned to understand or like Head. I thought it was <deleted> but that's just me. I loved the Monkees bigly since I first heard I'm a believer. Bought all the albums.

The tv show was a must see.

One of the great things about them was they appeared to be having fun, and not taking themselves seriously. It's when they started taking themselves seriously that it was the beginning of the end. Somewhat ironic that they were replaced by an animated group, because the guy that created them got so PO at them for wanting to make their own music.

RIP Peter, time to join that fab group in heaven- getting larger all the time.

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 3:44 PM, Joe Mcseismic said:

Loved last train to Clarksville as a nine year old watching the Monkees on TV.

Other successful manufactured bands.

The Archies (Sugar, sugar).

Boney M.

Milli Vanilli (same bloke who did Boney M).

Little Mix.

Backstreet Boys.

Girls Aloud.

One Direction.

N'Sync.

New Kids on the Block.

Spice Girls.

Peter, Paul and Mary. Huge in the 60s. 

On 3/6/2019 at 7:39 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. I think one had to be stoned to understand or like Head. I thought it was <deleted> but that's just me. I loved the Monkees bigly since I first heard I'm a believer. Bought all the albums.

The tv show was a must see.

One of the great things about them was they appeared to be having fun, and not taking themselves seriously. It's when they started taking themselves seriously that it was the beginning of the end. Somewhat ironic that they were replaced by an animated group, because the guy that created them got so PO at them for wanting to make their own music.

RIP Peter, time to join that fab group in heaven- getting larger all the time.

Ok ya got me there, I was stoned, hash I think. Medford Oregon visiting bro. It was on CBS late movie, bro & wife had gone to bed. Maybe along lines of "how good a loaf of bread looks depends on how hungry you are".

Archived