American backpacker in Chiang Mai PUNCHES hotel staff after refusing to pay for girl he brought back to his bed

webfact

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have some sympathy for the guy.

Whatever he did is no excuse for the hostel to rip him off, shove him around and attack him.

It's not as if he damaged anything or cost them money.

Chuck him out for breaking the rules, fair enough.

Turn it into an excuse to make money, they lose the moral high ground.

Slightly Off topic,

200bht/night sounds a lot for a place in a 10 bed dorm, I thought dorms were supposed to be cheap?

Loads of hotels in CM with air-con and double/twin rooms for 400bht/night.

On 2/22/2019 at 9:23 AM, Snow Leopard said:

It just amazes me. Thailand seems to get its fair share of the dregs of society. In fact, sometimes it seems like a magnet. 

It is the relatively safe, advanced environment as well as the ‘sanuk’ culture that stands out. Having the police being susceptible for any infringement to go away with a brown envelope also helps. 

23 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I have some sympathy for the guy.

Whatever he did is no excuse for the hostel to rip him off, shove him around and attack him.

It's not as if he damaged anything or cost them money.

Chuck him out for breaking the rules, fair enough.

Turn it into an excuse to make money, they lose the moral high ground.

Slightly Off topic,

200bht/night sounds a lot for a place in a 10 bed dorm, I thought dorms were supposed to be cheap?

Loads of hotels in CM with air-con and double/twin rooms for 400bht/night.

Guy is leaving without paying the extra fee. If your friend bunked in, you pay. That is it. And punching the thai guy is assault. Thai guy is just doing his job. He has to answer to his boss and I am sure this type of incident is not the first time he encountered. And also maybe there is already a policy in placed for such an incident. Hope the ugly American is reaping his just desserts for his action. In some country, they will just bring him to some isolated place and work him over. All for the mere tb 200.

10 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

I hope you apply the same sympathy when someone steals from you. 

I'd be more worried about staying in a hostel that lets unregistered people walk in to rooms off the street at 4am in the morning. Don't they have security at the front desk in the night? Can anyone just walk in to the shared rooms.

Going out drinking all night , 100 Baht a beer , would have spent roughly 500 Baht on alcohol and staying in a 200 Baht dormitory .

For an extra 100 Baht , he could have got himself a single room .

For the price of one beer , he could have upgraded from a dorm to a single room

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I'd be more worried about staying in a hostel that lets unregistered people walk in to rooms off the street at 4am in the morning. Don't they have security at the front desk in the night? Can anyone just walk in to the shared rooms.

She didn’t just walk in. She was brought by another guest as his guest. I do that all the time, except that I booked (and paid for) a double room. 

1 minute ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

She didn’t just walk in. She was brought by another guest as his guest. I do that all the time, except that I booked (and paid for) a double room. 

Not the same in hostels, one bed to 1 registered customer, no guests.

Just now, welovesundaysatspace said:

You cannot bring "guests" back to stay the night in dormitories 

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Not the same in hostels, one bed to 1 registered customer, no guests.

I don’t know the regulations of this hostel, or whether there is an international hostel association enforcing the same regulations across all hostels worldwide (I never had to stay in one fortunately). Even more so, I don’t know what it has to do with not paying the bill. 

2 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

I don’t know the regulations of this hostel, or whether there is an international hostel association enforcing the same regulations across all hostels worldwide (I never had to stay in one fortunately). Even more so, I don’t know what it has to do with not paying the bill. 

Non staying unregistered , undocumented people can just walk in and stay the night .

Had she been a thief , she could have robbed everyone one .

Maybe just grabbed a few phones and computers laying around on the way out and she wouldnt be traceable because they didnt have her signing in PP details  

Archived