Video: Thai schoolboy in Pattaya praised for giving first aid at accident scene

webfact

Video: Thai schoolboy in Pattaya praised for giving first aid at accident scene

5pm.jpg

A Thai schoolboy was shown in a video giving first aid to a stricken man who had come off his motorcycle in Pattaya. 

Jiraphon Madeua - an M4 student at Photisamphan Pitthayakarn school - was on his way home and was first to respond.

The sixteen year old said that he had received first aid training at school and he knew what to do until more professional help arrived. 

Sixty eight year old Amnuay was taken to hospital after suffering facial injuries. 

He appeared to have been side swiped by a car as he rode his motorcycle along Theppasit Road in Bang Lamung. 

Police are studying CCTV to try to find out what happened. 

Sanook praised the schoolboy for his actions. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-02-22

Thai bashers take note. Put your broad brush away please. I don't think this "hidden gem of a kid is a one-of-a-kind" in the school system that so often gets wholesale disparaged. I'm sure there are many who exhibit qualities beyond his years like this kid. Good on you Jiraphon. Your school, friends and family will be proud of your quick actions and use of your training.

Now I'm waiting to see if Prime Minister Prayut delivers a medical scholarship to him on Monday.

5 hours ago, neeray said:

Thai bashers take note. Put your broad brush away please. I don't think this "hidden gem of a kid is a one-of-a-kind" in the school system that so often gets wholesale disparaged. I'm sure there are many who exhibit qualities beyond his years like this kid. Good on you Jiraphon. Your school, friends and family will be proud of your quick actions and use of your training.

Now I'm waiting to see if Prime Minister Prayut delivers a medical scholarship to him on Monday.

On 2/22/2019 at 1:47 AM, webfact said:

He appeared to have been side swiped by a car as he rode his motorcycle along Theppasit Road in Bang Lamung.

6 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Good work Jiraphon! But the man on the right, wearing helmet, doesn't seem to have a clue what to do...

5pm.jpg.f1e2fbaf7e2a7459b0d3437032f21fee.jpg

Any opportunities to thai bash, fools will  take it. What exactly would you expect to cop do? Why stay here. If anything, looks to me as if he is watching the traffic to keep the couple safe. I would use stronger words but would get banned. 

"looks to me as if he is watching the traffic to keep the couple safe" then he should have been closer to the traffic, in order to control its flow... I think you got it wrong... "blind" eyed Thai apologist.

I also think he is looking the wrong way !..Needs to be looking at the oncoming traffic or else he will be rear ended by the swan necks looking at the accident scene !

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

17 hours ago, indepth said:

Any opportunities to thai bash, fools will  take it. What exactly would you expect to cop do? Why stay here. If anything, looks to me as if he is watching the traffic to keep the couple safe. I would use stronger words but would get banned. 

Are Thai police not trained in first-aid as they are in the West?  If so, seems to me he should have taken over from a civilian.  If not, sad that schoolkids receive more first-aid training than first responders who conceivably may be the first on a scene and should be able to render aid.

And if he wants to do something about the traffic, maybe he could be directing it away from the accident, in a place where motorists can actually see him, rather than standing on the side of the road behind a bunch of crashed motorbikes and other people, and to the side of the accident (instead of where he should be, on the oncoming-traffic side to direct them).

8 minutes ago, Liverpudlian said:

A tad annoying with the same pic running thru the thread.

Yes.  PSA to everyone: you can quote a post that has a picture, without including the picture in the quote.  Few things more annoying than having the same picture (or, worse, string of pictures, if the post being quoted contains more than one) cascading down a thread-- especially if the reply is a sentence or two long, so the screen has 6 inches of quoted photo(s) and half a centimeter of text in the actual reply.  If you are replying to the words in the post, quote just the words.  If there is not a good reason to include the picture in your reply, delete it.

57 minutes ago, Katia said:

Are Thai police not trained in first-aid as they are in the West? 

Maybe they are, maybe they arent, but in the USA, cops do not render anything other than life or death treatment in the absence of anyone else. The cops job is to secure the scene, if someone is rendering aid, great, easier to secure.....

1 hour ago, Nyezhov said:

Maybe they are, maybe they arent, but in the USA, cops do not render anything other than life or death treatment in the absence of anyone else. The cops job is to secure the scene, if someone is rendering aid, great, easier to secure.....

Advice to CPR-trained civilians in the West is to render aid until someone more qualified shows up.  Usually first responders fit the bill, unless the civilian is in some sort of medical profession.  Again, in the West at least, I would expect that police officers would receive better training than schoolkids.

1 minute ago, Katia said:

Advice to CPR-trained civilians in the West is to render aid until someone more qualified shows up.  Usually first responders fit the bill, unless the civilian is in some sort of medical profession.  Again, in the West at least, I would expect that police officers would receive better training than schoolkids.

Advice is advice, policy is policy. If I as an untrained civilian am rendering aid to a crash victim, the first cop on the scene will do nothing except secure the scene. The exception being heart attacks, where many police cars do contain defibs and traumatic bleeding, where the cops will supply and assist in bleeding control.

But cops are not there to render first aid.

20 hours ago, indepth said:

If he was watching the traffic, he'd be standing alongside the bloke with his hand on his shoulder, looking at oncoming traffic, not hard up against the kerb, furthest from the action. 

5 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Advice is advice, policy is policy. If I as an untrained civilian am rendering aid to a crash victim, the first cop on the scene will do nothing except secure the scene. The exception being heart attacks, where many police cars do contain defibs and traumatic bleeding, where the cops will supply and assist in bleeding control.

But cops are not there to render first aid.

That's all well and good, but the point is still that he's doing neither.  If he ought to be "securing the scene" rather than giving first aid, then maybe he'd better be doing that, not standing there paying no attention to his surroundings.

2 minutes ago, Katia said:

That's all well and good, but the point is still that he's doing neither.  If he ought to be "securing the scene" rather than giving first aid, then maybe he'd better be doing that, not standing there paying no attention to his surroundings.

One does not know what he is doing based on one picture, frozen in time. I have secured scenes myself, sometimes you just stand there.

20 minutes ago, tifino said:

scenario: cop waits on and arrests the helper when victim dies...  arrested as the Instrument of death, in the absence of the hit run rider

a real reason why most do not help...

That wives tale went out with the arc. Keep bashing.

28 minutes ago, Katia said:

Ive just had a second look at the pic, and yes, your right, he is paying no attention to his surroundings, dunno how I missed that when I first looked.

For those bashing the cop, maybe he saw the injury and was small enough to let the kid do his part to help others, let the kid gain confidence, get public praise for his part. 

Back in the states I was a paramedic and seen many accidents, when they are small enough I'll let friends, bystanders, family contribute assistance with basic 1st aid.

16 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Was a Thai driving that car?

The laws of probability suggest that as there are thousands of farang drivers and millions of Thai drivers the chances are it was.  It is a common trait of Thai drivers to flee the scene of an accident (if only to avoid a lynch mob.)  Given the tuition a farang undertakes to secure a licence versus the tractor driving training a Thai gets, I would say yes. 

Archived