Chiang Mai stricken by smog for second consecutive week

webfact

Chiang Mai stricken by smog for second consecutive week

7pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Sanook reported that Chiang Mai continued to be in the grips of a smog crisis.

Residents were affected for the second week in a row in the northern Thai city. 

A reading of 59 micrograms was recorded - this is on the cusp of starting to cause health problems. 

They reported that there were fires raging at many locations in the countryside.

Helicopters were being used to stop the burning. 

And spraying was going on in the city to limit the effect of PM 2.5 particles in the air. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-02-22

The levels of the dangerous PM2.5 pollutants have been and continue to be very high in Chiang Mai Province. The present highest level is a real-time AQI of 350 reported at the Debaratana Hospital in the Mae Chaem District. This equates to a concentration of 300 microgrammes per cubic metre which 12 times higher than the WHO guideline of 25.

"A reading of 59 micrograms was recorded" 

Sorry, but AQI of 59 is nothing, more like a nice day in November. Current reading is 159 and hitting 200+ in some areas lately. Noticeably thick air today with visibility around 2km. Usually doesn't get this bad until mid-March, but seems they are burning earlier this year, possibly due to another "burn ban" staged for March1-April30. 

http://aqicn.org/city/chiang-mai

1 hour ago, Samuel Smith said:

"A reading of 59 micrograms was recorded "

Was this recorded in a filtered room?  pm2.5 readings of over 100 are the norm, the last couple of weeks!

This is the reading I get in my condo, doors and windows closed and air filters (with fresh filter material) going like the clappers. Read on my pm 2.5 monitor. Outside it is 159 AQI.

"A reading of 59 micrograms was recorded " From the department of massaging figures. Even if this figure of 59 was even remotely accurate it would still be more than twice the WHO reccommended level.

17 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

Surprise surprise, Chiang Mai stricken by smog.

I also wonder where they get those numbers from. The site I use, updated every couple of hours, shows readings of PM2.5 over 150 all the time.

Most sites such as airvisual.com & aqicn.org show AQI on the map, not pm2.5 concentration.  Different things.  Can calculate AQI from concentration here https://airnow.gov/index.cfm?action=airnow.calculator

pm2.5 concentration of 59 = AQI 153.  If you have your own pm2.5 meter, you can convert to AQI.

A "safe" AQI of 50 = pm2.5 concentration of 12ug/m3!  Rarely seen in Chiang Mai!

4 hours ago, mok199 said:

Saddly the toxic air is becoming the new norm her in LOS,like road carnage and corruption....

Becoming the norm? I haven't been in Chiangmai that long, but I remember many years in the early 2000's that were just as bad and worse. It has been the norm for a very long time.

Hete in Kanchanaburi there is still a ban but no one does anything at all. contacted a local task force daily about sugar cane, charcoal and forest fires and even careless big rubbish burns. They contact orbator and orbator does absolutely nothing and in fact is protecting the problem. There excuse is its there jobs. BS! They are pyros plain and simple.

Archived