BANGKOK 22 March 2019 02:39
webfact

Strong baht a concern for Thai hotel sector

Strong baht a concern for Thai hotel sector

by Bill Barnett

6323_ho_00_p_2048x1536.jpg

Thailand’s baht performance against Asian currencies in 2018, was unmatched, with the exception of the Japanese yen.

Commenting on the trend financial news Bloomberg have highlighted that in 2019, a further 4% in growth this year have it sitting at the top of the table.

Oddly, one of the underlying factors stimulating the baht’s appreciation is the recovery in tourism arrivals which has a double-digit impact on the country’s GDP.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/business/strong-baht-a-concern-for-thai-hotel-sector

thtthaiger.png

-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2019-02-22
  • Haha 1

Not to worry with majority of hotels being deemed as “illegal” for not having and not being able to get a piece of paper , silly tourists will be paying whatever 4-5 star hotels want to charge or sleep on the street. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Aaaaah...doesn't matter!

Tourism is only a tiny- teenie fraction of the ever growing Thai- economy!

Who cares!?

:coffee1:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

39 minutes ago, lipflipper said:

With the Bank of Thailand manipulating the Baht to satisfy their Hi So clients from here and abroad the only people concerned with this fraud are the Expats on fixed incomes who are taking it up their collective keis...ters. Particularly the guys from Australia must be pulling their hair out as their dollar is heading south with no end in sight. Combined with Biggest Joke and his campaign to rid Thailand of Expats this manipulation of the Baht is just another nail in our coffin.

Sent from my CMR-AL19 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I’m Aussie and I got lucky, I saw the writing on the wall early last year so I transferred more than 12 months living costs @ 24ish. 

Hoping to ride it out when it bottoms out at 20 mid year 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lipflipper said:

With the Bank of Thailand manipulating the Baht to satisfy their Hi So clients from here and abroad the only people concerned with this fraud are the Expats on fixed incomes who are taking it up their collective keis...ters. Particularly the guys from Australia must be pulling their hair out as their dollar is heading south with no end in sight. Combined with Biggest Joke and his campaign to rid Thailand of Expats this manipulation of the Baht is just another nail in our coffin.

Sent from my CMR-AL19 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Think of all baht the banks will have in forced, locked savings due to new retirement requirements. How will all this money affect the baht?  Anyone know?  I only took macroeconomics.

56 minutes ago, ReMarKable said:

Think of all baht the banks will have in forced, locked savings due to new retirement requirements. How will all this money affect the baht?  Anyone know?  I only took macroeconomics.

You assuming retireees 800k is a driving force where in reality it’s nothing. Not only that money in a Thai bank does not affect baht , foreign currency in BOT does😉

okay so locked in deposits to banks, where before this was not true, would have no affect on the baht due to forced loans to bank of 400,000 for each retiree.  Then what does it affect?  Nothing?