BANGKOK 22 March 2019 02:42
Bob12345

Smoking meat and fish at home

I've tried the search function but mostly found stuff about smoking cigarettes, so let me try a new topic on this subject.

And I am aware of the pollution problems in Bangkok and Chiang Mai, but please try to refrain making jokes about that in this topic, thanks.

Currently I am looking into setting up my own smoker to smoke meats and fish.

I really love smoked fish and would like to make my own smoked pulled pork, or smoke some pork belly and other sausages. 

Now I am wondering who is doing the same here in Thailand and if you can share some tips and tricks?

I am planning to use coconut husk on a bed of charcoal. 

But what I first need is a decent smoker. I've found several websites selling expensive imported smokers but my guess is that there should be some locally made ones also at a fraction of the price. Has anybody any idea where to get one? I see tutorials online how to do it yourself but I am not a welder and don't have the tools to do it myself, plus it would take me ages. I am located in Phuket by the way but hiring a truck to drive around the country with a smoker cant be that expensive (having a truck from BKK to Phuket is about 10K if i remember correctly when i bought my home gym).

And what size smoker should I look for?

My guess is that the bigger the better as you can do more meats at once and I just want to freeze a good portion of it for later consumption.

• Like 1

You may reconsider and do some research of the health impacts of eating smoked meat and smoked fish:

The reasonable conclusion is that grilling meat may be hazardous to your health. ... Newer studies suggest that eating smoked meats may lead to cancer even outside the gastrointestinal tract.

The omega-3 fatty acids found in these fish are known to be good for the heart and brain. But, as with many foods, the key is to make sure you're not having too much. Studies have shown that eating excessive amounts of smoked foods can increase our risk of certain cancers, particularly of the stomach and colon.

Just saying 🙂

Interesting topic, i will keep an eye on it. Smoked meat and fish can be healthy and an easy way to keep to a diet. 

I looked into smoking too but decided against it as I thought it would be too much of a hassle. I will check up on the topic to see.

Just now, 4MyEgo said:

You may reconsider and do some research of the health impacts of eating smoked meat and smoked fish:

The reasonable conclusion is that grilling meat may be hazardous to your health. ... Newer studies suggest that eating smoked meats may lead to cancer even outside the gastrointestinal tract.

The omega-3 fatty acids found in these fish are known to be good for the heart and brain. But, as with many foods, the key is to make sure you're not having too much. Studies have shown that eating excessive amounts of smoked foods can increase our risk of certain cancers, particularly of the stomach and colon.

Just saying 🙂

Problem with these studies is that they are done on people with non healthy life styles. Usually if you eat a lot of these meats you do other bad things too. As far as I know the OP is an sports man who takes care of his diet.

Not saying there are no risks but many of these studies look at correlation but that is not the same as causation. 

But its a fair warning.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

Thats a very reasonable price. I grew up in an east European family where everything was home made eg sausages , smoked meats, pickled veges, wine , grappa. Miss that food and if I wasn't in a condo I would be smoking for sure

37 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

Yes, that seems like reasonable price.

Anyone any experience with this type and size? 

I was more looking in this type: https://www.lazada.co.th/products/jumbuck-smoker-charcoal-grill-i262236031-s403774342.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.39.f76125ccKTdiPf&search=1
Main reason would be that you can handle the meat/fish without needing to disassamble the red hot thing in the middle of the process to make adjustments or check how far along it is.

Edited by Bob12345

We used old fridges for smoking in Alaska. Worked great.

9 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

We used old fridges for smoking in Alaska. Worked great.

Any links to a design that works? I have heard of using fridges as well.

I had an oil drum shape with a burner box to the side. I found this difficult to use. I eventually gave up on it.

The person who posted the one on Lazada my mate had. Weber. This works very well for small amounts which I prefer. I would go for Weber if you can find it. 

4 minutes ago, Snow Leopard said:

I had an oil drum shape with a burner box to the side. I found this difficult to use. I eventually gave up on it.

The person who posted the one on Lazada my mate had. Weber. This works very well for small amounts which I prefer. I would go for Weber if you can find it. 

Start by learning. Visit http://www.theingredientstore.com/foodpreservation/refrig_smoker.htm and then Google is your friend. Get me some power tools and a fridge and beer and food and a ticket to wherever and Ill help.

27 minutes ago, Snow Leopard said:

Weber is already expensive in Europe, i would not dare to check the prices here without a cardiologist on hand. I was hoping for some locally made smokers at a fraction of the price.

hi bob, i regularly do smoking meat for ham and sausages. First you have to cure the meat with nitrite curing salt for 10-14 days plus 3 days leave it an fridge. You have to use a cold smoking for most of ham and sausages. It means the temp of the smoke between 15 - 25 C which is a bit difficult in Thailand. As far the smoker, you can make it your self very easy. i use a stainless steel pipe as a burner connected to a plastic pipe which goes in a plastic bucket. I put 2 plastic  bottles which were filled with water and deep frozen over night and of course the meat and sausages hanging in the bucket. Temp around 20 - 25 C. For burning I use sawdust from any wood processing factory. I smoke ham 7 days and sausages 3 days 10 -12 hrs/day.      

• Like 1

Many plans available for converting an old fridge into a smoker on google.  here's one: