BANGKOK 21 May 2019 04:26
Bob12345

Smoking meat and fish at home

WOODS FOR SMOKING
Hard, fruit or nut woods are preferred. All woods impart a slightly different flavor of their own. Wood is available in sawdust, chip/nugget and chunk form (use the form recommended by the manufacturer of the smokehouse). Hickory is the most common type used and provides good color and flavor. Apple,cherry, mesquite and alder wood are other commonly used woods. 

TECHNIQUE OF THE QUARTER : THE SMOKING PROCESS

image.png.1da309133460d0f577ecd7f991eb4250.png

where can you get these woods you mention??

I've made my first steps with smoking... all low budget as i just want to try it out first.

Last week I had some nice marinated spareribs and to smoke them i fired up the BBQ, moved all the hot coals to one side, added some pecan wood chips, put on the meat on the other side, and closed the lit on the bbq for 99%.

The wood lasted for maybe 20 minutes and the ribs looked and smelled stunning. Next I put them in the sous vide, together with a similar rack of spareribs, and finished them both off for 20 hours to be able to compare the two.

The result was stunning. The smell on the smoked meat was gorgeous and the taste of the meat was much deeper than the unsmoked rack. And then to think i only smoked the rack for only 30 minutes, in a relatively uncontrolled environment, with only a handful of wood chips.

I am going to try some more meats to see if the results are similar and then I will start looking into more expensive smoking devices. My preferance goes to a completely automatic controlled smoker as it will require no effort from my side. Downside will be the price of course.

@jumbo: BBQ shops around the country sell smoking woods. It is not cheap though... I got 180 cu (which is just a small bag full) for 390 baht. Imported from the USA. I also wanna try coconut chips which is much cheaper as they are locally available: gardening centers sell those for a fraction of the price the pecan wood chips cost.

To

On 5/6/2019 at 1:16 PM, Bob12345 said:

I've made my first steps with smoking... all low budget as i just want to try it out first.

Last week I had some nice marinated spareribs and to smoke them i fired up the BBQ, moved all the hot coals to one side, added some pecan wood chips, put on the meat on the other side, and closed the lit on the bbq for 99%.

The wood lasted for maybe 20 minutes and the ribs looked and smelled stunning. Next I put them in the sous vide, together with a similar rack of spareribs, and finished them both off for 20 hours to be able to compare the two.

The result was stunning. The smell on the smoked meat was gorgeous and the taste of the meat was much deeper than the unsmoked rack. And then to think i only smoked the rack for only 30 minutes, in a relatively uncontrolled environment, with only a handful of wood chips.

I am going to try some more meats to see if the results are similar and then I will start looking into more expensive smoking devices. My preferance goes to a completely automatic controlled smoker as it will require no effort from my side. Downside will be the price of course.

@jumbo: BBQ shops around the country sell smoking woods. It is not cheap though... I got 180 cu (which is just a small bag full) for 390 baht. Imported from the USA. I also wanna try coconut chips which is much cheaper as they are locally available: gardening centers sell those for a fraction of the price the pecan wood chips cost.

I googled. ‘Smoker out of a trash can’. Watched a couple of videos and have just started to get the equipment together. I’ll get the guy in a metal shop to put it together.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, norfolkandchance said:

To

I googled. ‘Smoker out of a trash can’. Watched a couple of videos and have just started to get the equipment together. I’ll get the guy in a metal shop to put it together.

Yeah, you can just improvise the whole thing to try it out (as I am doing).

In the long run you might want to explore other options though, as now you need to manually control the temperature the whole time you smoke and might need to open your smoker to increase or lower the fire a bit which is a waste of smoke (expensive to create the smoke with imported woods). But best to try it out first and see how it goes before investing serious money in stuff you might not like soon after buying them.

call me an old traditionalist but I will stick to tobacco, wrapping a rizla paper around a fish is a messy business and it's difficult to light.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, soalbundy said:

call me an old traditionalist but I will stick to tobacco, wrapping a rizla paper around a fish is a messy business and it's difficult to light.

Hopefully your smoking will have a lasting effect.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, soalbundy said:

and rollin' a spliff outta a pork tenderloin makes you want to drink instead..

Edited by from the home of CC

54 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

and rollin' a spliff outta a pork tenderloin makes you want to drink instead..

I blame Ted.