Pattaya reminds bus, taxi users about smoking ban

Rimmer

Pattaya reminds bus, taxi users about smoking ban

image.png

PATTAYA:--Pattaya officials warned public-transport users that smoking in vehicles or at or around terminals is banned by a new smoking law.

Wilaiwan Phulunglua, Chief of Narcotics Prevention and Rehabilitation Section, and Nurse Naanya Jantaraakard told Soi Khopai Community residents Feb. 11 that the updated law applies to baht buses, taxis, minivans, trains, boats and even motorcycle taxis.

Furthermore, smoking is prohibited within five meters of bus stops, taxi stands, bus and train terminals and ports.

Promulgated in November, the amendments to the 2017 Tobacco Control Act and a 2018 Public Health Ministry directive extends no-smoking zones in and around government agencies and state enterprises to five meters.

Those caught lighting up in prohibited spaces face fines of up to 5,000 baht. Warnings will be given first.

-- PATTAYA MAIL 2019-22-02--

4 minutes ago, fruitman said:

But those rabies infested soidogs can still roam there?

And the motocy taxi's can still drive against traffic?

And little somchai can still drive his dad's motocy over the sidewalks?

The army should load them all in trucks and take them away

I gave up smoking 10 years ago but whn I did it was near impossible to avoid the Motosais within 5 metres if you were walking around the Lk Metro area. This will be as rigourously enforced as the no smoking in bars rule.

1 hour ago, ronrat said:

I gave up smoking 10 years ago but whn I did it was near impossible to avoid the Motosais within 5 metres if you were walking around the Lk Metro area. This will be as rigourously enforced as the no smoking in bars rule.

My thai friend crashed his big bike frontal in a motocy taxi who drove against traffic...he spent 3 months in hospital but luckily survived.

So the war against smokers continues unabated. Meanwhile, you are actually encouraged to drink alcohol (in Pattaya at least) anywhere, any time. Last time I checked, a smoker was hardly a danger to others while riding a motor bike, or a public nuisance while walking (unlike some other substance abusers).

I don't smoke cigarettes, only cigars and pipe tobacco. And even though Pattaya bus station has a nice smoking area (kudos), at Mochit bus station (and I imagine Ekamai also) I had to walk away from the platforms and find a spot where I can commit my "crime" where no one can spot me.

Archived