BANGKOK 25 March 2019 20:34
Myke4

Built-in wood furniture

40 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Never understood why solid wood furniture is so expensive in Thailand.

I got a feeling its to do with the  antiquated law about logging..until just very recently you couldn't even cut down a hardwood/protected species tree on your own land without getting permission from the government..

maybe (now the law has changed) in a few years people will feel encouraged enough to use their land for sustainable forests and timber prices come down ????   its very frustrating going to all the shops and the only furniture they have is the fall to pieces once wet fiberboard crap at prices equal to proper wood in Europe  😖

• Like 1

4 hours ago, giddyup said:

Never understood why solid wood furniture is so expensive in Thailand. When I was after bedside tables I saw some outside Big C extra in Pattaya that weren't too bad, made from rubberwood, but they were more expensive than something similar made in the UK from Oak. Given the substantial difference in labor costs I really don't know how they justify the prices of decent furniture here.

I can sum that up in two easy words....... Greed and stupidity.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, johng said:

I got a feeling its to do with the  antiquated law about logging..until just very recently you couldn't even cut down a hardwood/protected species tree on your own land without getting permission from the government..

maybe (now the law has changed) in a few years people will feel encouraged enough to use their land for sustainable forests and timber prices come down ????   its very frustrating going to all the shops and the only furniture they have is the fall to pieces once wet fiberboard crap at prices equal to proper wood in Europe  😖

Why not import timber as a lot of countries do? Maybe the import duties are prohibitive for that as well.

On 2/25/2019 at 4:26 PM, KittenKong said:

I did actually spot that place when driving past, but the display of tacky furniture at the front put me off. I'll go and have a closer look though.

I did go and have a closer look. The furniture is very cheaply made: off-cuts of soft wood stapled together. Surely cheap enough, but not right for me.

8 hours ago, giddyup said:

Never understood why solid wood furniture is so expensive in Thailand.

Most things seem to be ridiculously expensive here.