Krabi Immigration - Additional Requirements for Extension of Stay

13 hours ago, ukrules said:

It's pathetic that they require photos outside the house.

For all they know you could pick some random house almost anywhere with the same number and take a photo of it.

Surely the documentation provided by the house owner is more than enough, in fact this is already way too much information, it doesn't matter where you live reall. Some people move house very often.

Of course there is no purpose to these requirements.  It's just the IOs somewhere in the chain trying to drive up agent-moneyed apps.  If based on marriage, you also need a copy of the chanote and house-book of where you live (unless using an agent) - which many owners are reluctant to provide (out of fear of fraud). 

Rental-contract + owner's ID and ph# + map (in case they want to visit) should be more than enough - and even those only needed as part of TM-28/30 reporting - not directly for an extension.

• Like 2

The Tabien baan, landlord's ID and rental agreement was probably because the address registration either wasn't done, or it hadn't been updated. Not usually a requirement for the extension if you have a valid address registration stapled into your passport.

Photo outside house and map have been a requirement at Phuket immigration ever since I did my first extension (5 years ago).

The rules on Immigration in Thailand are everywhere 'same same but different' T I T ....

When you read carefully the immigration rules you will find a sentence what clearly says:

the Immigration Officer always can ask additional documents if he find it necessary. So they always are right and don't make a discussion, just smile and do what they ask, so you have no problems at all. I suppose in Krabi you don't have to make a trip around the world to go back again to the immigration office and our time we have for free. That is how an optimist look at it.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ukrules said:

It's pathetic that they require photos outside the house.

For all they know you could pick some random house almost anywhere with the same number and take a photo of it.

Surely the documentation provided by the house owner is more than enough, in fact this is already way too much information, it doesn't matter where you live reall. Some people move house very often.

If everybody submits same documents, then there is no need for agents and people won't hire an agent, even if they could afford to,  to access privilege of less document. If I hire an agent I must get some privilege. 

Edited by onera1961
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

The Tabien baan, landlord's ID and rental agreement was probably because the address registration either wasn't done, or it hadn't been updated. Not usually a requirement for the extension if you have a valid address registration stapled into your passport.

I had one in my passport - and updated within 24 hours of my last move.  The family-extension desk at Jomtien wanted more.  Then, when I provided all, demanded fresh copies be obtained from the amphoe by the Thai landlord who doesn't live in the area, and was not willing to make a special trip for this.  But, by that time, my wife begged me not to subject her to the cruel personnel at that desk again - so obtained a Non-O-ME Visa, instead.

Photo outside house and map have been a requirement at Phuket immigration ever since I did my first extension (5 years ago).

Yes, this is a fairly common requirement now - surprised the OP didn't hit it last year.

48 minutes ago, easydoor said:

I suppose in Krabi you don't have to make a trip around the world to go back again to the immigration office and our time we have for free. That is how an optimist look at it.

But at some offices, for some extensions, that world-voyage might be easier.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

I get a little tired of all the talk about agents. I think there are only about 4 cities where there are agents readily available.

There about as many immigration offices now as there are provinces since some have two offices. 

Ubonjoe,

I'm getting a lot tired of all the talk about agents, especially the agent bashing & illegal agent comments. I'm sure there are some bad apples, but people use agents for a number of legitimate reasons, some because they can afford to and for convenience, some because they don't know what they are doing and need help and some who probably are trying to skirt the rules. It's a shame that this forum has given people the platform to bash an entire group of people (visa agents & agencies) when most are probably running legitimate businesses. Bashing an entire group of people is not morally or politically correct in society.

"How can you be cheerful when you're absolutely mired in deep hatred"

With kind regards...

Edited by BertM
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

This just shows the ridiculous lengths that some Immigration offices will go to to justify their existence. Immigration Act requires your address but it is not the job of Immigration but of the regular police. This is why a Resident Certificate comes trough Immigration who take a month to liaise with the police. Rules of compliance in the case of marriage involves proof of living together which involves an address. What does a connection with an address do to validate a retirement extension? Nothing!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, tgeezer said:

This just shows the ridiculous lengths that some Immigration offices will go to to justify their existence. Immigration Act requires your address but it is not the job of Immigration but of the regular police.

It being shown in the immigration act does make it immigrations responsibility and the forms for them are issued by the Immigration Bureau.

This is why a Resident Certificate comes trough Immigration who take a month to liaise with the police.

I have never heard a certificate of residency taking a month to get. If it takes that long it is because it takes immigration that long to do it and print it out due to staffing problems. Most offices issue them while you wait.

What does a connection with an address do to validate a retirement extension?

Because proof of where you are living is required. Some offices just have different requirements for that proof.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, BertM said:

Ubonjoe,

I'm getting a lot tired of all the talk about agents, especially the agent bashing & illegal agent comments. I'm sure there are some bad apples, but people use agents for a number of legitimate reasons, some because they can afford to and for convenience, some because they don't know what they are doing and need help and some who probably are trying to skirt the rules. It's a shame that this forum has given people the platform to bash an entire group of people (visa agents & agencies) when most are probably running legitimate businesses. Bashing an entire group of people is not morally or politically correct in society.

With kind regards...

I spoke to several agents recently.  None of them even mentioned any document/step to show my complying with the financials, residency, pictures, map, etc.  They all said the same thing, "Give us your passport, bank-book and ATM card for a day plus our fee, and we will put the money in and out of your account and get the visa (sic)."   When I told them where I lived - not in their area - and asked how 90-day reports would work, they all said I could mail my passport and they would do those for an additional fee.  And, no, I didn't do this, but since my local-office only accepts "state pension" income, wanted to see what my options were.

I have read a few reports of people using agents who actually do meet the requirements.  But to pretend it is "just some bad apples" in the agent-business is unrealistic.  More like, a few good apples - wealthy people who can't be bothered with a day at the immigration-office.  Per those reports, the agent-fees are a fraction, providing an idea of what immigration's cut is from the "usual" agent-fee.

36 minutes ago, tgeezer said:

What does a connection with an address do to validate a retirement extension? Nothing!

They do need your address, but you can supply that via a rental-contract with the owner's ID card and ph#.  If you have a valid TM-30, that should be all that is needed for compliance (I did - didn't matter).

Some suggested this is part of some tax-issue with the owners - which is most certainly not related to whether our application for an extension is valid or not.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

I honestly dont remember all this talk of maps,photos of the house/apartment ,owners ID bla bla bla just to get a retirement extension 3 or 4 years ago ......Maybe I just missed the threads?......I dont know......Now It seem this kind of stuff is occurring all the time.......

8 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

And, no, I didn't do this, but since my local-office only accepts "state pension" income, wanted to see what my options were.

As state pensions for the majority of EU Countries, US and Australia certainly don't come anywhere near the 65K requirement and in some situations, not even the 40K requirement, then how do the other expats at Jomtien manage to obtain their extensions, without the use of agents.

8 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

As state pensions for the majority of EU Countries, US and Australia certainly don't come anywhere near the 65K requirement and in some situations, not even the 40K requirement, then how do the other expats at Jomtien manage to obtain their extensions, without the use of agents.

Jomtien was not the office that required "only state pension" income - that is my new office out in the boonies.  Jomtien were happy with my embassy letter (last year), but wanted "unobtanium" landlord-docs for a marriage-based extension (not reported as needed for retirement-extensions there).  Different offices have their own ways of trying to avoid providing an extension (at list-price, anyway).

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Jomtien was not the office that required "only state pension" income - that is my new office out in the boonies.  Jomtien were happy with my embassy letter (last year), but wanted "unobtanium" landlord-docs for a marriage-based extension (not reported as needed for retirement-extensions there).  Different offices have their own ways of trying to avoid providing an extension (at list-price, anyway).

LOL.....

1 hour ago, Tanoshi said:

Australia certainly don't come anywhere near the 65K requirement and in some situations, not even the 40K

Pension is about 65% of your last loan. Tax free, usually. So yes, you are far above 40k and usually far above 65k, my father has 250k ....

15 minutes ago, Enki said:

Pension is about 65% of your last loan. Tax free, usually. So yes, you are far above 40k and usually far above 65k, my father has 250k ....

BS!

The Australian state pension is a max of around 900AUD per fortnight.

That's a tad over 40K baht per month assuming you qualify for maximum state pension.

If your living overseas this in then further reduced, bring it to below 40K baht per month.

4 hours ago, BertM said:

Ubonjoe,

"How can you be cheerful when you're absolutely mired in deep hatred"

With kind regards...

You might like to take off your rose-tinted specs, then, before reading this thread:-

• Thanks 1

I am about to attempt to do the same (extension of permission to stay -- retirement -- money in the bank) in Krabi, but I'm staying in a hotel (monthy). My rental contract is only until the 6th of March, and my permission to stay expires April 4th (I mention this because I don't know if Krabi Town immigration will let you apply 45 days before, or only 30).

Anyone have any idea what I'll need to take them as far a proof or where I live, or do I need to make other arrangements?

Sorry to hijack the thread. If it needs a new thread, or to be deleted, let me know.