How does utorrent connect to the internet? Should I use a VPN?

johnnybgood

Heading back to Euroland for a while, and it's been so-far-so-good here in Thailand. :thumbsup:

Using Win 7, Chrome (no vpn) and Opera with it's own free VPN to browse d'load sites.
I'm wondering how the torrent app being so small can connect independent of my browser?

Now I am trying to understand how this VPN app (linked below) works and then try to find a free version?

https://nordvpn.com/tutorials/socks5/utorrent/

Any guidance + info appreciated folks.

I think VPN is the best option as these days numerous standard ISP designs use CGNAT which implies that heaps of individuals have the same ip in the meantime, so can't monitor deluges downloaded. I, recently configure FastestVPN, it bit helps me for downloading purpose too.

11 minutes ago, mikebrian1 said:

I think VPN is the best option as these days numerous standard ISP designs use CGNAT which implies that heaps of individuals have the same ip in the meantime, so can't monitor deluges downloaded. I, recently configure FastestVPN, it bit helps me for downloading purpose too.

I would be surprised if you can get the same torrent download speed through a VPN.

Personally I use uTorrent without VPN.

What is your experience?

I usually use the VPN, my home desktop is set up for NordVPN to connect at start-up to Singapore. So any torrenting I do uses the VPN. My VPN connection to Singapore is normally very good, even for torrents, however, on the days things aren't great I'm not averse to disconnecting the VPN and continuing without 'cover' so to speak.

The chances of being singled out for any possible copyright infringements, let alone successfully prosecuted, within a country where copyright infringement is rampant I would think remote. Not that I would ever consider doing such a thing.

In Euroland things are a bit different depending on where you are. Some ISPs actively block access to torrent search sites, so a VPN is a very basic requirement. The integrated browser VPN only covers traffic generated by the browser so your torrent client won't be covered. And as pointed out, with all of these things, you get what you pay for, free usually means minimum standard and second best.

23 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I would be surprised if you can get the same torrent download speed through a VPN.

What is your experience?

Spot on. Additionally a free vpn is likely to be data limited.  I have windscribe free and have managed to get the limit up to 60 Gigs month, so that might be an option for the op. 

40 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

What is your experience?

Pleasure to respond you sir! with all due respect, I'm not endorsing 100% speed at downloading time but much faster than other VPNs as we all are using multiple VPNs and experiencing different features and services but this time, I have found great experience using FastestVPN. You can check it out and please share your feedback........ Thanx

12 minutes ago, Slip said:

Spot on. Additionally a free vpn is likely to be data limited.  I have windscribe free and have managed to get the limit up to 60 Gigs month, so that might be an option for the op. 

yep, there are speed and/or data limits on the free ones (or they snoop) and 60gb is literally nothing.

that Metro game that was released like yesterday alone was 55 GB

in Thailand I never bothered with VPN but from what I am told back home in America/Canada the RIAA (or whatever) monitor certain sites, put fake torrents and then push the ISP to send legal notices

wasn't like that when I left but my friend said there's no downloading anything without a VPN

In the US I was using utorrent with a regular connection and got notices twice.  This was maybe 5 years ago.  They were sent to the ISP.  One was from HBO, the first from some law firm filing on behalf of their client, they knew my connection address and the time, and the torrent info , but that was it.  The shysters gave me a form to fill out of my name, address etc.  Yeah right.  I ignored it.  After getting the HBO notice a few weeks later I figured I'd better take action, so I now go VPN.

I'm still using a very old version of ut, hardly any of the bells and whistles.

If anyone is interested I may be able to post the notices (if I can find them).

14 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

What is your experience?

The VPN (Express) slows my download speed to about 50Mb/s as opposed to 120 without. But hey, whats another few minutes in downloading a movie, or set several movies to download overnight.

Thanks for the response, each & every post being helpful :thumbsup:....so I'm going to refrain from quoting.

As I'm a light user I'll just give it a rest whilst my name is linked to my an ISP.
Luckily torrenting has been relaxing here in LOS, and it can continue on my return.

I guess it's time to use my 'rainy day' library on those portable drives. :smile:

detector.jpg

44 minutes ago, johnnybgood said:

Thanks for the response, each & every post being helpful :thumbsup:....so I'm going to refrain from quoting.

As I'm a light user I'll just give it a rest whilst my name is linked to my an ISP.
Luckily torrenting has been relaxing here in LOS, and it can continue on my return.

I guess it's time to use my 'rainy day' library on those portable drives. :smile:

detector.jpg

Once again...Seedbox.

Cost 4 euros for a month. They do all of the heavy lifting. No VPN necessary.

I didn't know it was so difficult to use torrents in Europe , but I have not lived there since 2011.  

Here in Thailand I use Bittorrent and no VPN , downloads works just great. 

But I'm going back to EU soon so I hope NordVPN will work there. I pay for the subscription to watch BBC on iPlayer. 

23 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

Once again...Seedbox.

Cost 4 euros for a month. They do all of the heavy lifting. No VPN necessary.

Yeah why not?

It's time for this oldie, who's still using utorrent 2.0 to change.

ps I always thought seedbox was for big users like kim dot com ????

37 minutes ago, tlandtday said:

I have never used a vpn to receive a torrent here in thailand but it may depend upon who you use as i understand true may throttle large downloads.

It's not about whether you can "receive" a Torrent, but the fact that you are uploading and sharing the material during the process.

• 3 months later...

I use Express VPN, besides being safe it also allows me to access different movies and tv series on Netflix when, for example,connecting to a city in USA.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Definitely use vpn while torrenting, although as far as I know not every vpn allows torrenting. 

Talking about free vpn, I wouldn't use it, no good things are free. I'm using nordvpn for a while now and they sent me a promo code after I purchased it after the free trial ended. It seems to be a good price, so you're more than welcome to use it. The vpn itself seems to work well, no issues so far.

On 2/24/2019 at 11:52 AM, tlandtday said:

I have never used a vpn to receive a torrent here in thailand but it may depend upon who you use as i understand true may throttle large downloads.

I use a VPN (Private Internet Access) only when True throttle the torrents. I usually connect to Holland or Singapore and the torrent downloading resumes at full speed.

Archived