Impressed, old guy quite strong and in shape

robblok

33 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

I go cross country running at least once a week. They have a small cadre of octogenarians.

The key is to keep doing stuff.

That is for sure, you need to keep active to stay in the game. It certainly improves quality of life.

I think the New Boy, and the former Project Manager, were in their 60s, and were fitter than me.  Today, the New Boy joined us on a 75 km ride, after taking part in our Highland Games particularly hilly ride yesterday, and both days he didn't complain about the pace as much as I did.

I hppe I'm as fit as he is when I'm 65 - I've got 12 years to improve...

13 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

I think the New Boy, and the former Project Manager, were in their 60s, and were fitter than me.  Today, the New Boy joined us on a 75 km ride, after taking part in our Highland Games particularly hilly ride yesterday, and both days he didn't complain about the pace as much as I did.

I hppe I'm as fit as he is when I'm 65 - I've got 12 years to improve...

It is always inspiring to see older people who are still in good shape. The weight this guy is pulling is huge not only for someone his age but someone my age too. I could probably do it (maybe not right no but in 1-2 months when I got my strength back) but I am way younger. I used to do 185 kg for 5 times. But havent been going that heavy for a while.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Why would you want to do it at 80?

In all probality he wont be here in 10 years anyway

I am not sure how old you are but my dad is still exercising at 71. Why because it gives him a good quality of life. You don't lose all your power you keep being mobile. Personally that is why I do it plus that I don't want to look like a fat slob now.

12 hours ago, JordanJones said:

Far too risky at his age. Lift weights but not heavy.

I think there is not much risk for him. He is well trained and used to it. I would not advise it for a beginner. His muscles and form are obviously good.

I have two older friends,one is 84 years old and he knocked out cold a guy in his fiftys who was giving him a hard time.

The second one is 87 and works like a young man in the garden,does all of the heavy work and never seems to get tired.

Oh and lets not forget about my old Thai neighbour,climbs up in a coconut tree in a flash.

I can still do a lot of things myself but it takes a lot longer to recuperate,sometimes it feels like it is not worth it.I started a building project but after a few days decided it is too hot and my back is giving in again.The call is made,someone is coming next week to do it.(i will keep a close watch 55)

1 hour ago, JordanJones said:

50 years of experience helps but if he does get injured the healing process will be a nightmare. When does he stop? At 85 or 88 or 90? There is a point where the body won't cope with the weight and he will be a mess.

I am not sure if you lift yourself but much depends on how many % this is of his max. If he is going close to failure sure its dangerous but if he is keeping enough in the tank then its not a problem at all. 

Just a difference of 10 kg on a lift can make a huge difference in form and safety. So it all depends on how close this guy is to his max and how close he exercises to his max.

I was out riding with the New Boy (who is in his 60s, I think) this morning, and I foolishly offered to let him take the lead for a while.Within a few kilometres he was almost out of sight, but luckily he waited rather than guessing the way home.

9 hours ago, robblok said:

I think there is not much risk for him. He is well trained and used to it. I would not advise it for a beginner. His muscles and form are obviously good.

21 hours ago, JordanJones said:

Far too risky at his age. Lift weights but not heavy.

If you look at the stats for sports related injuries you will find weights has lowest injuries of most sports.

the sort robblok is talking about is thoughtful not the bunny blasting 100 bicep curls 

I was out riding with the New Boy (who is in his 60s, I think) this morning, and I foolishly offered to let him take the lead for a while.Within a few kilometres he was almost out of sight, but luckily he waited rather than guessing the way home.

May I ask if you are involved with Audax in Thailand ?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 3/23/2019 at 2:59 PM, robblok said:

I am not sure if you lift yourself but much depends on how many % this is of his max. If he is going close to failure sure its dangerous but if he is keeping enough in the tank then its not a problem at all. 

Just a difference of 10 kg on a lift can make a huge difference in form and safety. So it all depends on how close this guy is to his max and how close he exercises to his max.

He did 1 rep and it looked like his max or close to it.

On 3/23/2019 at 8:24 PM, manchega said:

If you look at the stats for sports related injuries you will find weights has lowest injuries of most sports.

the sort robblok is talking about is thoughtful not the bunny blasting 100 bicep curls 

That's because running and twisting knees in sports plus falling down is more risky but we are talking about much younger people.

13 minutes ago, JordanJones said:

He did 1 rep and it looked like his max or close to it.

Yes he did one rep but you never know if its close to your max or not. Just 10 kg difference makes it safe or not its not about absolute weights but how close your to your max.  Stay a bit under your max and you will be safe.

You never answered do you actually train yourself ? If you do you should know what a difference just a few kg make for form and safety. 

IMHO he was not maxing out though it was certainly close to it. Anyway after years and years of training you get movement patterns good and then its safe. 

Still you won't see me doing many singles (havent for years) 

6 hours ago, JordanJones said:

See if he is still going in 5 years.

He is 80, he might not be around in an other 5. (not exercise related)

Plus over time people will decrease in strength over a certain age its hard to hold on to all your strength. 

Archived