BANGKOK 22 March 2019 01:22
orchidlady

Private hospital in Bangkok lists Thai only price on website

I was checking prices/services offered from private hospitals in Bangkok for total knee replacement surgery, mostly to add questions to my list about specialized care after surgery services common in the west but not maybe here, for an upcoming consult with some orthopedic doctors. Was shocked to see at the bottom that one hospital with multiple locations openly states the price of 260,000 baht was only for Thai patients.  from the website:

"...Such price is for Thai people only.

From 1 January - 31 December 2019"

Shocked that they would openly advertise that in the English language version of their website. Going to ask a Thai lawyer if this is even legal.

16 minutes ago, orchidlady said:

Going to ask a Thai lawyer if this is even legal.

good luck with that

• Like 1

If you have 30,000 baht to waste on a consultation with a Thai lawyer, I suppose it's your money to do with whatever you want.

Suppose the Thai lawyer says it's illegal. What then? You'll go to the police?

Nothing unusual in a special price being available to Thai only - happens everywhere here.  Hotels have been doing it for decades - and sometimes the Thai price is higher (they want the foreigners to spend money at overpriced facilities).

image.jpeg.1b5bb6c53b32fa754d6ff71105b1890d.jpeg

• Like 1

Double tier pricing is very common in Thai private hospitals and even in some government hospitals (especially those located in areas with many foreigners).

There is no law against it.

54 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

If you have 30,000 baht to waste on a consultation with a Thai lawyer, I suppose it's your money to do with whatever you want.

I have never paid anything for initial consultations with Thai lawyers. Only if one engages them to do something does one pay.

• Like 1

Two-tier (and sometimes more, depending on what type of farang you are) pricing is one of the worst demons of Thailand. I tell people I'm from Mexico, and the prices tend to be cheaper than if you're honest and say you're American.

The only thing one can do is to boycott such places, look for something else, and tell everybody you know to do the same. 

• Like 2

Hmm....how is it in the UK ?

Does anybody from wherever in the world get the same deal as a UK national fully paid up with NHS contributions ?

Just asking like.

16 minutes ago, Denim said:

Does anybody from wherever in the world get the same deal as a UK national fully paid up with NHS contributions ?

Just asking like.

All I know for Holland is that the prices are always the same and people without insurance / homeless / foreigners will always get treatment right away as that is a human right in International law (for what International law is worth knowing what happens elsewhere). 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, tabarin said:

All I know for Holland is that the prices are always the same and people without insurance / homeless / foreigners will always get treatment right away as that is a human right in International law (for what International law is worth knowing what happens elsewhere). 

Interesting. When my Thai wife went to the UK and had cause to see a doctor , I had to pay for her visit whereas for me it would have been free. Of course , we were on holiday and she had no NHS number.

16 hours ago, orchidlady said:

from the website:

"...Such price is for Thai people only.

Slightly odd that a Google search only returns this forum on a search for "such price is for Thai people only".

Where can I find this international law?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Denim said:

Just asking like.

I read that if I return to UK having been here a few years, I must pay 150% of the NHS cost for anything other than emergency.