Stick future board to styrofoam board?

rexall

My DIY skill set is pretty limited. I want to make rigid partitions to use as photography backdrops using 5 cm styrofoam board sandwiched between 2 big sheets (130 x 240 cm) of future board. 10 mm future board would be great, but I doubt I can find thicker than 5 mm).

1. First problemHow to stick the future board to the styrofoam?  I saw a Youtube video using a product "Glidden Glider." Although it is actually a primer paint, in comparison tests , seems to be the very best/strongest adhesive for sticking sheets of styrofoam together.  Elmer's Ultimate, Gorilla Glue and hot glue were also mentioned. However, the Glidden Glider is more appealing as it is cheaper and you can completely cover the surface of the future board. Naturally, I can't find any online reference to it in Thailand. I wonder if other primers have the same properties or if the stickiness is something special about Glidden?

2. Second problem: Remove the sheen from the future board. My thought, the easiest, is simply to paint the future board with flat latex.  But I wonder how well it would stick? Would it work? Is there a way to prep the surface to make it adhere better?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Oh, BTW, I am up in the frigid northeast of Khon Kaen.

if its a very close celled Styrofoam, with that smooth finish them the quick and easy way is to use double sided tape.

for a cheap "feeling that you made the effort job" then simple latex glue.

I am not a photographer, but most back drops I have seen involve what appear to be two tripods and a curtain rail to carry a vinyl/cloth/pvc interchangeable backdrop design. you obviously don't want interchangeable...or do you, if so then why not simply paint the exposed surface in a popular background colour, matt black, matt white rather than mess about with latex which will not brush on smooth.

2 hours ago, rexall said:

Remove the sheen from the future board

Sanding the surface with 220 grit sandpaper will do that.

2 hours ago, rexall said:

I saw a Youtube video using a product "Glidden Glider."

Google doesn't seem to know anything with that name.

Thanks, Kwasaki,  Assuming that your "Why not?" is actually a question, we are trying various solutions such as hanging different kinds of  fabrics from a rod.  They all have advantages and disadvantages.  Using 2 rigid partitions in a wide delta formation has a number of advantages such as adding depth to the background. Rigid styro partitions is what a number of other photographers and videographers do. In the U.S. it would be a snap. Just grab two big 4 X 8 slabs of styroboard from HomePro, paint them, and ready to go.  I don't think TV allows me to past the URL to the Youtube video where I got the idea.  So, far, unfortunately, we have only been able to find 60 X 120 cm pieces of that very light weight styrobord.  Hence, my idea to sandwich four pieces of 60x120 styro them between layers of future board to get a 120 x 240 (4 x 8 ft) partition.  They would be easy to move around and arrange and you could have one color on one side of the wall and a different color on the other side. 

15 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Sanding the surface with 220 grit sandpaper will do that.

Google doesn't seem to know anything with that name.

Tks. Plenty of google hits.  Maybe Glidden Gripper Latex Primer and Sealer.  It's on their website => glidden dot  c o m .  Still, the important question is do other primers have this sticky quality or is there something special about this Glidden product?

all the mom and pop shops sell contact glue DOG brand. Works fine and will not degrade the Styrofoam.

If you want to use latex glue TOA sells bottles of it.  Also you can get little non brand name bottles of latex and any mom and pop shop that sells kids school books and stationary.  It comes in a little tear drop shaped white bottle about half the size of your hand.  I bought a bottle last week for 5 baht.

The Thai word for glue is "gow".

PM me if you need more help.

Tks! The materials are not costly, but as the format is rather large, 2 slabs 4 X 8 ft, with future board attached front and back, if we don't get the glue and the paint right, we pretty much need to start over.  It is EASY to paint the future board, a roller would probably be easier less costly than spray, but if won't be much fun if the paint readily flakes and peels and is an ongoing headache to touch up. Same with the glue or adhesive.  When we stick it down, want to make sure it stays that way.  Lots of Youtube DIY videos about this, and future board and styro are notoriously difficult to bond well. That was why I was so jazzed about the Glidden Grabber.  It produced a stronger bond than a half-dozen other agents they compared it to. Also cheap, and can cover every square inch of both surfaces. But naturally, can't get it in Thailand, apparently.  I saw another video suggesting using ScotchBrite rather than sandpaper to remove the surface sealant from the future board to get the paint to stick better.

Thanks for your suggestions, guys. If anyone has actually worked with these materials before, would love to hear about your experience.

3 hours ago, rexall said:

I saw another video suggesting using ScotchBrite rather than sandpaper to remove the surface sealant from the future board to get the paint to stick better.

3M makes a variety of abrasives that are similar to the domestic ScotchBrite, they vary in grit from 40 through 1000 and up to a non-abrasive one.

Unless the surface sealant is quite thin and soft you may find that scotchbrite takes a long time. I do sometimes use it on a RO sander but not usually by hand. 

• 10 months later...

Why would you want to paint "future board"?  It is available in many colors.  If you want a 10 mm Styrofoam core and you can only fing 5mm, glue two pieces together.  As said, contact cement is readily available in any Ma and Pa hardware store,  I buy "Dog X-66" in an orange can.  I would test it first on a scrap piece of Styrofoam to insure that there is no chemical reaction. The locals use  Styrofoam mixed with gasoline to seal holes in used tin that they use for roofing.   Styrofoam +  gasoline has the chemical and adherence properties close to that of napalm!.  The kids just use white glue avaiable in all school supply stores.

Archived