H. E. Paul Robilliard The Australian Ambassador To Thailand

snoop1130

H. E. Paul Robilliard The Australian Ambassador To Thailand

written by Agneta De Bekassy 

1.jpg

On February the 6th, photographer Daniel Herron and I went to visit the Australian Ambassador to Thailand H.E. Paul Robilliard at the new and very modern embassy residence on Wireless Road.

The new Australian Embassy and its residence are extensive buildings with lots of bare brick and concrete and a very modern, quite minimalistic architecture.

2.jpg

When you pass the heavy metal doors you escape the noise and bustle of Wireless and Rama IV Roads. Ambassador Robilliard and his media officer Ms Pananya Jira-Alongkorn, Belle, welcomed us. (Belle explained that she got her nickname because her mother was fond of the story about “Beauty and the Beast”.) We were shown into an expansive reception room decorated with contemporary furniture and works of Australian indigenous art and a Tasmanian artist who the Ambassador knows personally, and a grand piano.

3.jpg

I asked the Ambassador if he played the piano, but he said “unfortunately not”. This new residence is different in architecture and design, than the past one which was located on Sathorn.

4.jpg

I asked a bit about Paul’s background and found that he was born in England and both parents were teachers. At the age of 3 months, they moved to a small country town in southern Tasmania. This is also where Denmark’s beautiful Crown Princess Mary, comes from.

As did Errol Flynn. Paul went to school in the small Tasmanian town, but later on studied at the Australian National University in Australia’s capital, Canberra. I was curious to know if there were more diplomat’s in his family, but Paul shook his head and said no. He had not thought about a diplomatic career himself, as he was more interested in an academic career. Sometimes it just happens, we call it destiny?

In 1979 he happened to see an interesting advertisement in the paper for the Foreign Service. He took the chance, applied and was accepted. His first post as an Ambassador was in Syria and Lebanon in 1992. At that time Lebanon was recovering from the recent civil war. He had served previously in Lebanon and Syria between 1982 and 1984. In Lebanon he met his future wife and they were married in Byblos in 1994.

His wife was at that time working in the Lebanese parliament. They have two daughters, one studying in Sydney and one in Canberra. Those years were interesting he acknowledges. I asked if he could speak Arabic and he told us he studied it in Cairo, Egypt in the early eighties. All together he stayed just over three years in Syria/Lebanon.

5.jpg

Before Bangkok, he also served in Honolulu as Consul General and later on became Deputy Ambassador in Jakarta, Indonesia. In the late 1980s he was in Singapore for three years, but that was before Syria/Lebanon. He has had a range of jobs at headquarters in Canberra as well as working in the offices of the Australian Prime Minister (Julia Gillard) and an Australian Foreign Minister (Gareth Evans).

In October 2014, he came with his wife to Bangkok as Australia’s Ambassador to Thailand. The Australian Embassy in Bangkok is the country’s fourth largest Embassy in the world. Well over 200 people work in the Embassy. I asked him about his special “niche” – what are his goals and the most important objectives he wants to achieve during his time in Thailand?

Almost every Ambassador has a topic they care particularly about. The Swedish Ambassador for example is deeply engaged in gender equality and works hard for all people’s rights. Paul said he has very close cooperation with the Ambassador Staffan Herrström and shares his passion in this matter. They are both “HeForShe” Ambassadors.

Of course a very important topic is to strengthen the relationship between Australia and Thailand. That relationship is both very broad and deep and covers a wide range of areas. The economic and commercial relationship is very important for both countries, with over $20 billion dollars of two way trade and significant investment from both sides.

The military relationship is a long and important one and there is important cooperation between the two countries law enforcement agencies. Australian tourism to Thailand has been significant for many years (the Bangkok Embassy is Australia’s busiest consular post) and Thai tourism to Australia is growing. Education is also important. 30,000 Thai students study in Australia and this year 450 young Australian undergraduates will come to Thailand under the New Colombo Plan to study and do internships.

Australia Thailand diplomatic relations stretch back over 66 years, and the two countries work together on a range of regional and international issues. Australia was ASEAN’s first dialogue partner and in March the Australian Prime Minister, Malcolm Turnbull, will host the leaders of the ten ASEAN countries at a Special Summit in Sydney.

I asked if the Ambassador had experienced any serious difficulties since he arrived in Thailand and his answer came rapidly; “not at all, the Thai people are friendly and welcoming”. Paul is both an early bird and a night owl. He prefers to get to the office very early and clear his desk before the telephone starts ringing and the work of the day starts in earnest. During the week he hosts several events at the residence – breakfasts, lunches, dinners and receptions.

He tries to attend as many of the other embassies national days as possible and has an extensive range of meetings with Thai officials and the private sector, and speaking to various seminars and conferences. Not much time left for private entertainment. If he and his wife do find some time off, they enjoy going to concerts and they are avid opera fans. They have frequently enjoyed the Dance and Music Festival that takes place every year, and they have also visited the beautiful concert hall Sala Sudasiri Sodha in Lad Prao several times. Reading, walking and the cinema are also popular free-time pastimes.

What about travelling was my next question. “Oh, I have travelled a lot in Thailand and enjoyed it all but I especially like Chiang Mai which I first visited in 1987. Life is calmer and the air is cleaner and fresh up in the north and it’s just beautiful” he says. And of course places like Phuket have been a travel destination. When it comes to food, Paul says he likes more or less everything.

He enjoys Thai food and he is full of praise for his Thai chef at the residence. “Having a good cook is important for an Ambassador and I’m lucky to have on the best in Bangkok.” Do you have any special memories of  your time in Thailand so far I asked; “Yes, I must mention the cremation of the late, beloved King Bhumibol Adulyadej. That was a memorable event and I was proud to be among the guests attending from all over the world.

It was a sad day for all the Thai people and an era is gone, the late King will be missed by us all.” When your time as Ambassador in Thailand comes to an end, where would you like your next post to be? “Well, I really don’t have any  preferences. I’m proud to represent my country wherever it will be”, a good answer I replied! Paul’s wife has also settled well in Bangkok and like most spouses, she is busy with SHOM (Spouses to the Heads of Mission (Ambassadors) organisation).

I had one more final question to ask; if you could choose one person in the world to enjoy a private dinner with, who would it be? Now comes the very diplomatic, but sincere answer “My wife, of course”. With this last question we bid farewell of Ambassador Paul Robilliard and his media officer Khun Belle. Thank you for an interesting talk and our visit to your impressive new Embassy and residence.

6.jpg

Source: Expat Lifehttps://expatlifeinthailand.com/news-and-event/updates-news-and-event/h-e-paul-robilliard-the-australian-ambassador-to-thailand/

exp.png

Australian embassy is a perfect example of tax payer money being wasted.

putting aside it’s a Fort Knox , in prime location, taking up a huge chunk of land but they also have surrounding water falls or whatever you want to call it on top bop notch furniture and an army of security guards.

it is more inviting to visit max security prison than to visit Aus embassy in Bangkok 

24 minutes ago, BestB said:

putting aside it’s a Fort Knox , in prime location, taking up a huge chunk of land but they also have surrounding water falls or whatever you want to call it on top bop notch furniture and an army of security guards.

it is more inviting to visit max security prison than to visit Aus embassy in Bangkok 

You of course would rather they operated out of a noodle soup stall I’m sure.

1 hour ago, mark5335 said:

This seems to be a recycled article as Paul’s term as Ambassador to Thailand finished at the end of 2018, and a new ambassador is already in the building.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

The article did mention him meeting Prime Minister Turnbull in March... ???? 

I assumed it meant March 2019... ?

3 hours ago, HighPriority said:

I would rather they operated out of modest location and building. Embassy most certainly does not need waterfalls all around it, nor does it need 100 000 baht doors and there are dozens of doors. its not Iraq or Syria.

Nor do they need an army of security guards.

Thai consulates is a perfect example of "modest" always full of people and no army of guards or supermax doors or water falls or extravagant furniture.

Oz embassy is empty for most of the time, nothing but money wasting

13 hours ago, HighPriority said:

I would.  They may even get something done that way and more importantly they may even get to meet real people rather than sycophants who kiss butt all day long.  These people are so far removed from reality it is not funny.  Talk about ivory towers and those that inhabit them.

15 hours ago, BestB said:

Yep.....it's a no expense spared, large ultra modern, pretentious, miltary-like security, absolutely no assistance to Australian citizens unless you made an online booking 4 weeks prior. Then to cut costs, they outsource everything and hire Thais to provide all the consular assistance !!

And the Ambassador is probably earning $800k to $900k a year plus expenses and allowance for his family and team of helpers. Just for this pompous public servant to drink wine and prance around pointless media PR events to "promote Thai - Australia relations" !

Australian Embassy  Duh ? Didn't see any Australians behind the security glass counters to help people when applying for a new Passport. The say go maybe 2 months early to apply that's fine you get you're Passport early , Than one loses the time one got left to the expire date . I lost 7 weeks Why don't they activate the New Passport on the day the Old one Expires And on top of that they Rip you of because one applies in Thailand.

3 minutes ago, digger70 said:

Australian Embassy  Duh ? Didn't see any Australians behind the security glass counters to help people when applying for a new Passport. The say go maybe 2 months early to apply that's fine you get you're Passport early , Than one loses the time one got left to the expire date . I lost 7 weeks Why don't they activate the New Passport on the day the Old one Expires And on top of that they Rip you of because one applies in Thailand.

How else do you pay for those supermax doors ? Charge almost 10000 for a passport, current exchange rate almost $500

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

I asked the Ambassador if he played the piano, but he said “unfortunately not”.

Yes, a far more important question than, "Does the Australian Embassy still validate it's citizen's incomes?"

Probably would have got the same answer though.

Concerning his idea of the relationship between Thailand and Australia, i wonder if he knows that the Australian PM has recently changed the age of working visas from 30 to 35 years but only for Canadians and Irish, completely ignoring Thailand and the rest of the 19 countries allowed this visa. Has he asked the Australian  why he has discriminated against Thais in particular.

25 minutes ago, BestB said:

How else do you pay for those supermax doors ? Charge almost 10000 for a passport, current exchange rate almost $500

By the time I fly from Hat Ya/Bangkok return twice( had to pick up Passport and pay for all the crap) its nearly Cheaper  to go and get it in Aus ????

36 minutes ago, Huckenfell said:

Concerning his idea of the relationship between Thailand and Australia, i wonder if he knows that the Australian PM has recently changed the age of working visas from 30 to 35 years but only for Canadians and Irish, completely ignoring Thailand and the rest of the 19 countries allowed this visa. Has he asked the Australian  why he has discriminated against Thais in particular.

Up to other countries to negotiate the same facility, not exclusively for Ireland and Canada.

https://www.sbs.com.au/yourlanguage/italian/en/article/2018/11/13/working-holiday-visa-changes-35-years

17 hours ago, mfd101 said:

My experience of visiting the Embassy on expat business (ie stat decs etc) is that they are very efficient (in & out quickly) and have pleasant & courteous professional, locally engaged staff.

What Stat Decs ? Shows that this is an old article, as do some of the other “facts” ......Prime Minister Malcom Turnbull ?

20 hours ago, BestB said:

The Embassy is an important place of residence and work, and should reflect the respect Australia holds for Thailand.

The efficiency of the staff could be a working model for many public servants across Thailand

The building also is contemporary and reflects Australian culture

For those who have problems dealing with locally engaged staff in the consular area: This is the norm in every Oz Embassy & HIgh Commission everywhere in the world (and no doubt the same for every other 'Western' country too). Saves HUGE labour costs with Aussies. A nice example of pricing yourself out of the market ...

As long as they are well-trained & professional (as they certainly are in BKK), what's the problem? If you had Aussies doing the consular jobs, the price to you would double again!

3 hours ago, digger70 said:

By the time I fly from Hat Ya/Bangkok return twice( had to pick up Passport and pay for all the crap) its nearly Cheaper  to go and get it in Aus ????

I would rather deal with the Gestapo than an Australian public servant.  :cheesy:

22 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

The Embassy is an important place of residence and work, and should reflect the respect Australia holds for Thailand.

The efficiency of the staff could be a working model for many public servants across Thailand

The building also is contemporary and reflects Australian culture

You mean having supermax security doors reflects Australian culture of being an ex camp for prisoners ?

in that case, you are right. Excellent doors

Archived