Chiang Mai and Lampang suffer 'code red' air pollution

snoop1130

Chiang Mai and Lampang suffer 'code red' air pollution

By The Nation

ab7d03a5d4fd83b0fb111ff2c1408fb6-sld.jpeg

Mae Hong Son Airport

Chiang Mai and Lampang on Friday were choking on “code red” air pollution with PM2.5 levels above 90 micrograms (mcg) per cubic metre of air, according to the Pollution Control Department (PCD).

Northern and northeastern provinces also cited PM2.5 levels beyond the Thai safety limit of 50 mcg. 

Greater Bangkok enjoyed a respite from haze, having PM2.5 levels within the safe range at 12-35 mcg, which were predicted to drop further on Saturday thanks to various dust-tackling measures, the PCD said.

The PCD daily update on haze situation in the North, as of 9am on Friday, cited the PM2.5 levels between 33-100 mcg with the "code-red" status reported at tambon Chang Kerng of Chiang Mai's Mae Chaem district (100 mcg) and at tambon Phra Baht of Lampang's Mueang district (93 mcg).

The "code-orange" status was reported in tambon Chang Pheuk (61 mcg) and tambon Sri Phum (57 mcg) of Chiang Mai's Mueang district; in tambon Ban Dong (71 mcg) and tambon Mae Mo (67 mcg) of Lampang's Mae Mo district; tambon Ban Klang in Lamphun's Mueang district (88 mcg); tambon Nai Wiang in Nan's Mueang district (62 mcg); tambon Na Chak in Phrae's Mueang district (67 mcg); tambon Jong Kham in Mae Hong Son's Mueung district (59 mcg); and tambon Mae Pa in Tak's Mae Sot district (63 mcg).

In the Northeast, the PM2.5 level rose beyond the safety limit in tambon Nai Mueang of Khon Kaen's Mueang district at 67 mcg. 

The agency urged people to refrain from outdoor burning to help reduce the haze problems. Updates on air quality are available on the website air4thai.pcd.go.th and the phone app "air4thai”.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30364575

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-02-22

1 hour ago, snoop1130 said:

Greater Bangkok enjoyed a respite from haze, having PM2.5 levels within the safe range at 12-35 mcg, which were predicted to drop further on Saturday thanks to various dust-tackling measures, the PCD said.

Send up the molasses drones and dump the shit on the outdoor burners

The Bangkok pollution when it was hanging around was terrible. I could taste it , just nasty but all good now. I have no idea how chiang mai expats can live in that smog for such extended periods. If BKK was long term I would leave no doubt about it

14 hours ago, Samuel Smith said:

pm2.5 concentration readings of 190+ ug/m3 is closer to the truth.

That's AQI of 240+

Readings taken in the morning.

I have just taken a reading on my own PM2.5 monitor. This morning in the country north of Chiang Mai visibility is very poor and the PM2.5 monitor is flashing danger red at 225.

This is NOT a joke.

Now we know what they had in mind when they launched the 

' Unseen Thailand ' promotion.  They got that right with the visibility being so bad.

Still, 'Unclean Thailand ' would have been a more honest slogan.

Not...' Amazing Thailand '

But...'  A Hazing Thailand '

30 minutes ago, Antonymous said:

I have just taken a reading on my own PM2.5 monitor. This morning in the country north of Chiang Mai visibility is very poor and the PM2.5 monitor is flashing danger red at 225.

This is NOT a joke.

T. Padead 9 am  PM2.5  115

9 minutes ago, connda said:

Yes, Thailand is bad, and the North is worst that most of the country.  But check the visual map and compare it to the rest of Asia. 
The AirVisual Earth program shows that India, China, and the Saudi Arabian peninsula have far more serious issues on any given day.

https://www.airvisual.com/earth

World_API.png.592bf9b0cc775b18bf8d3a79ae623054.png

Good information but somehow this does not make me feel any better that there are worse places.....

"Northern and northeastern provinces also cited PM2.5 levels beyond the Thai safety limit of 50 mcg."

Which is twice the safety limit of the World Health Organization.

I.e., the Thai safety limit is an unsafe limit already once it's over 25.

Cycling home last night I saw lots of burning going on.  The government 'urging' people not to burn is clearly not working. 

Why on earth can't they BAN burning completely.. easy to go around in a cop car and fine anyone who has a fire on their land.   But that might upset people too much… better let them get sick and die from the pollution than to hurt peoples feelings it seems.

14 hours ago, madmen said:

The Bangkok pollution when it was hanging around was terrible. I could taste it , just nasty but all good now. I have no idea how chiang mai expats can live in that smog for such extended periods. If BKK was long term I would leave no doubt about it

It is only for a couple of months, same as Bangkok now. You guys started in what Dec. when the sugar cane harvest started. They do keep ignoreing this bit of information

25 minutes ago, PumpkinEater said:

Still the BURNING FIELDS persist!!!!!

Stop the FREAKIN burning already...buy tractors and farm equipment for each province. 

A NO BRAINIER!

same shyt, different year...

The burning is illegal but well, you know...... Too hard for the authorities to see fire in front of them and to do something about it would mean working. And they can't work because the smoke makes them feel ill.

17 hours ago, Samuel Smith said:

That's AQI of 240+

The Thai app says it's 64+ ug/m3 A. Meuang right now. I guess they aren't good at maths! I just deleted that app pretty quick.

17 hours ago, Samuel Smith said:

That's AQI of 240+

And Thailand quoting 50 ug/m3 as being safe !!!!

THERE IS NO SAFE LIMIT !!!

In fact W.H.O quote 50 ug/m3 as the upper limit for PM 10

2 hours ago, davemos said:

This is Terrible

What's terrible about a yellow / moderate reading for BKK at this time of year?

Basically, that means the air is OK, not good, but not unhealthy even for sensitive populations.

For this time of year, the peak of the smog season, in BKK, that's not a bad status.

1 hour ago, bipper said:

The Thai app says it's 64+ ug/m3 A. Meuang right now. I guess they aren't good at maths! I just deleted that app pretty quick.

The Thai government reported data typically is 24 hour averages, which tends to mask the high peaks of readings.

The sensors that people use at home and some of the other info sources like AQICN.org report hourly or close to hourly readings, which are more real-time.  And when things ARE bad, their readings show you just how bad.

3 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The Thai government reported data typically is 24 hour averages, which tends to mask the high peaks of readings.

The sensors that people use at home and some of the other info sources like AQICN.org report hourly or close to hourly readings, which are more real-time.  And when things ARE bad, their readings show you just how bad.

Been over 110ug/m3 since I got up at 6am today.  South East of city in countryside.

Archived