Bt10,000 cash returned to man who 'threw it away'

snoop1130

Bt10,000 cash returned to man who 'threw it away'

By The Nation

562000001915301.JPEG

The 41-year-old Thai man, who accidentally threw his child's Bt10,000 tuition fee in the trash at a Pathum Thani shopping mall on February 17, was overjoyed when he got the money back on Friday.

Pisan Saengchan collected the money at Muang Pathum Thani Police Station and said he wanted to thank the 38-year-old unnamed company worker who returned the cash to police. 

Pisan thanked everyone involved in returning his money.

Deputy superintendent Pol Lt Colonel Somyot Khamchan, said CCTV footage showed the 38-year-old man, who is a Lat Lum Kaew district resident, lifting the cash from the trash can, put it in his pocket and walk away. 

Police initially issued an arrest warrant and apprehended the man on Thursday and then contacted Pisan to collect the money.

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-02-22

8 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

I don't understand it either, and I don't need a rest.

If someone sees cash in a trash basket, they can be arrested for taking it?

The "rest" was a back door in case I was really missing something.

But glad you see this as confusing too.

In some western countries, once trash is put on the curb (for city pick up), it becomes the property of the city and it is illegal to take it.

That being the case, this trash (bag of money) would have been the property of the mall.

But that doesn't answer the confusion. I can't tell who the players are here.

1 hour ago, JimmyJ said:

I don't understand it either, and I don't need a rest.

If someone sees cash in a trash basket, they can be arrested for taking it?

In the UK you can be prosecuted for not handing in to the police something you find. "The offence "stealing by find" I found something once, handed it in to the police. If no one claimed it after a given time it's yours to keep. And quite rightly so.

The money was for a child's tuition fee ,if not handed in the child could have been deprived on his education.

2 hours ago, tompelli said:

Would the finder have returned the money had he not been apprehended?

Obviously not, he found the money on the 17th (Sunday) 

He was apprehended on Thursday... no intention of handing it back.

3 hours ago, Percy P said:

In the UK you can be prosecuted for not handing in to the police something you find. "The offence "stealing by find" I found something once, handed it in to the police. If no one claimed it after a given time it's yours to keep. And quite rightly so.

The money was for a child's tuition fee ,if not handed in the child could have been deprived on his education.

How did they know who it belonged to ?? Did the person who collected it have the invoice in with cash??

How did the person removing the trash , know it contained money??

4 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Getting money out of the trash is illegal? Oh for Christ's sake!

Absolutely. There was a story on the BBC of a woman prosecuted for this in the UK. She was very upset as she now has a criminal record which she did not have before.

Archived