2nd extension 2019 - What's the truth?

Hello everyone,

I was reading all topics on this forum about visa/30days exemption extension - I have done it many times for 1,900 THB at Immigration office. This time my extension expires on Feb 26th so I have to plan a visa run to the border. However, my flight back home is 5 days later. I have heard that I can do another extension for 7 days, but some people write that it's possible, some not. Does anyone know if I can get it extended for a few more days so I don't need visa run? 

I have European passport and crossed Lao border two times recently, as well got two extensions. Never got any problems with immigration and never broke any law. So I don't want to overstay but do it legally...

Lukas

Edited by lukasbkk

Thank you Steve. That will be a good solution for me. I have heard about that 2 times / year rule. Now we have a beginning of 2019 so theoretically my account is "clear" to do another run by land border. I am wondering if it is really strict and they stick to that rule, not to number of border crossings in some period of time for example (12 months) not calendar year.

I do stay in Thailand 6 months per year usually. Last winter I had a METV but this time I had no time to obtain any. So I'm already after 2 visa runs to Nong Khai (in and out) and extended each time = 4 months in the LoS already. Last entry was in December 2018 so I am worry about rest of another trip to the border - it will be 3rd time in a row but first time in 2019. 

Is that 2 times / year rule written in the immigration law? Or it is something not really clear how it works?

9 hours ago, lukasbkk said:

Is that 2 times / year rule written in the immigration law?

It is clearly called out in a ministerial order. It 2 visa exempt entries per calendar year at land border crossings.

Remember that if you get a 2nd one this year that is it until next year.

5 hours ago, yuiop said:

6+ exempt entries will flag you on the computer monitor of the IO entering Thailand, nothing wrong with that but better to avoid it if you're planning on spending many months in Thailand on tourist visa's and or exempt entry.

He was asking about border entries by land which, as stated above, is limited to 2 per calendar year.

Thank you all for replies. Thanks to your advices I have decided to try another border run as I have more options then. By extending my staying for another 7 days I would be in a rush to leave the country. At the moment I have more time as I got 30-days visa exemption at the border. 

I was planning to go by Khon Kaen - Vientiane bus and leave at the border as someone said without Lao visa in passport they won't sell the ticket to Vientiane. That was not an issue for me as I did not intend to go to Vientiane anyway. However, the guy in ticket office refused to sell me a ticket. The bus was leaving half empty and there was no way to convince him. So if anyone plan to use that international bus service, you can not count on it without pre-arranged visa in your passport. 

I took a bus to Udon Thani instead and changed for minivan at Udon Thani bus station. The whole ride was smooth and costs only 130 THB total. The minivan last stop was actually at the border! There is no need to take any tuk-tuk to the immigration point. After making in and out from Thailand I was back to Khon Kaen in the same way for the same price. 

In UT they did offer me a minivan saying that he will make it in 1:30 mins to Khon Kaen. I think its a bit too fast so I took the slow, big bus and arrived safe home. Total time of that trip was 8 hours with no rush. Another wasted day, just to stay legally in Thailand for one month. How easier and more efficient would be to take 1,900 baht by Thai immigration just for another extension stamp. Instead of that, they want people to waste a day and pay to Laotians for visa. 

• Like 1