Extending SETV, staying on Samui - How and Where?

Hi chaps, forgive me for asking a question that has no doubt been asked before.

Arrive Samui 1st March.  Got a SETV for 60 days.  If I decide I want to stay longer - how do I go about it?  Where do I go, who do I see, what do I pay etc.

Thanks guys, all been a lot of help so far. 

30 more days is easy. You go to the immigration office, pay 1,900 baht, and get an automatic extension of your permission to stay.

If you want to stay longer than that, it becomes tricky. It depends on your past history of visits to Thailand, your nationality, your age, your economic circumstances, whether you have a Thai wife or child, and the degree of risk you are prepared to take of being denied visas and denied entry into Thailand.

If you have not been much in Thailand previously, I would suggest going to Kuala Lumpur (there and back by air) to get another SETV. Even if eligible, do not try to enter by air visa exempt (which gives you 30 days) if unwilling to accept the risk of a denied entry. Really, we need much more information to give you further advice.

• Like 2

British, 33, SEO freelancer, clients all UK based, working as I move around.  No real savings but earn decent money monthly.  Was last in Thailand December 2018.   But I've got a brand new passport a few weeks ago, so no stamps etc.  I am planning on travelling around Asia - but love Thailand.  I was planning on going to Kuala Lumpur anyway - so might go there, see the sites etc and get a new SETV and come back if I really want to.  How do I get a new SETV, where do I go etc?  Thanks Tim! 

Edited by SamuiAddict

8 minutes ago, SamuiAddict said:

British, 33, SEO freelancer, clients all UK based, working as I move around.  No real savings but earn decent money monthly.  Was last in Thailand December 2018.   But I've got a brand new passport a few weeks ago, so no stamps etc.  I am planning on travelling around Asia - but love Thailand.  I was planning on going to Kuala Lumpur anyway - so might go there, see the sites etc and get a new SETV and come back if I really want to.  How do I get a new SETV, where do I go etc?  Thanks Tim! 

UK passport...so at some point include place like Saigon on your travel list. Your visa exempt to Vietnam and nice place to chill. Also Thai consulate there is good and you can obtain setv. The key to spend time outside los, meaning not 2 or 3 days but for example you get 15 days in Vietnam ....use it all.

Wash and repeat.

If you have a fresh passport, getting a visa in Kuala Lumpur will be no problem. However, your history of prior visits to Thailand over an extended period is important when deciding on a low risk way of entering Thailand. Immigration can see the full history of your entries (your old and new passports are linked within their system) and airport immigration officials are liable to give you a hard time if they decide you are making your home in Thailand on tourist entries.

The zero risk way of returning is to use most land crossings. From Kuala Lumpur, you can take the train to Padang Besar, crossing there, and continuing by domestic flights from Hat Yai or however else you want to get to your destination. This is obviously a hassle, so you would not do this if it was unnecessary or you are a risk taker. willing to accept denied entry and being sent back to Malaysia if you are unlucky.

• Like 1

I'm sure I know the answer to this question, but I assume it's not possible to enter for 60 days and then get a re-entry permit to leave and re-enter for another 60 days before the three-month expiry of the visa itself?

1 hour ago, ThaiBunny said:

I'm sure I know the answer to this question, but I assume it's not possible to enter for 60 days and then get a re-entry permit to leave and re-enter for another 60 days before the three-month expiry of the visa itself?

You will get same permission to stay date as your first entry. 

No, you will not get another 60 unless it's a multiple entry visa.