Android app to download streaming music ?

oldcarguy

Hi , end of my billing month and I have 4gb of data left , 

I want to download some steaming music to listen too when I have no signal.

I do not care that it's all in one file , I will just start it at night and let it run until I wake up in the morning.

So is there an easy to use and to record a stream and be able to change the quality of the stream and maybe make it monaural so I can just use 1 earbud to listen to it .

Thanks for your ideas

There's at least 3 different approaches to this that I can think of... Not sure which direction you're looking.

1. you can buy the music content of your choice as MP3 files, and then download those to whatever devices you choose for playback, and your access is unlimited and unrestricted.

2. you can subscribe to a monthly music streaming service like Spotify, Pandora and others that stream the content online. Depending on the service, you can often download the content to an Android device for offline playback, but either for only as long as you continue to pay the monthly fee and/or for some limited amount of time before the downloaded files expire.

3. you can play/listen to whatever content you want from whatever sources you want, and use either a PC or a mobile device app to record (just like you'd record a phone call) the content being played to local files on your device, which then can be kept and played back as desired.

13 hours ago, oldcarguy said:

I do not know how to record it on Android , 

I am sure it's possible but all the Apps I looked at did not have great reviews by real people,

Interesting issue. Indeed, most of the Android apps for doing audio recording do not directly capture streams, but instead, capture the audio content coming thru the front or rear microphones of the phone, which pick up whatever ambient noise is going on nearby.

However, there are some exceptions. One I tested and worked successfully for capturing streaming audio, and only that, is Radio Player, MP3-Recorder by Audials in the Google Play Store. Free and widely compatible, and doesn't require the device to be rooted.

The front end of it is basically a streaming audio (radio and podcasts) online directory and player like many found elsewhere. But once you've chosen your various audio sources and the player has the ability to save station or podcast favorites, the player also has a tab that allows MP3 recording directly in the app.

You can save your recorded content either as a single file of however long you record, or have the app/player break up your recording into individual songs and MP3 files. The app gives you that choice as soon as you hit the Record button.

There's one quirky aspect I noticed whereby once you've recorded something, it doesn't automatically show up under the app's Recordings directory. The saved MP3 file shows up in the Listen/player directory and can be replayed from there, but in order to have it show up on the Record tab, you have to press and hold the file entry in the Listen/player tab, and then choose to save it to the Record section.

When I installed and used the app on my ASUS phone with a microSD card installed, the app allowed me to save my recorded files to my SD card as an option. The directory where the app saves the files is a bit obscure and may not be automatically picked up by other music player apps. But once you locate the directory, you can copy or move the recorded MP3 files to other locations if desired.

I did that, and moved the test file I recorded into my Dropbox folder on my mobile phone, and then from there tried playing it with other players to see if the MP3 file format that Audials uses is standard...  In my testing, the recorded MP3 file played fine in the standalone music player on my ASUS phone, and also played via the Google Music app. I didn't test it with any other player apps.

Give it a try, and let me know if it works for your purposes.

1352779955_2019-02-2416_13.45-2.thumb.jpg.c5c6c0ae13a08af7051a39f2a0270cae.jpg

1647705101_2019-02-2416_13.46-4.thumb.jpg.4e8c375fdc97c3314a1a8fc456745261.jpg

BTW, my preference for doing the kind of recording you're talking about is to use a free and very good app on my Windows PC called AudioGrabber. Among other things, it does line-in recording from the soundcard on your PC, and with a free MP3 LAME plug-in, will handle MP3 recording up to 320 Kbps.

AudioGrabber also has a setting that allow you to either have one continuous long recording, to automatically break up a recording into individual MP3s based on silence intervals that can be adjusted in the app, or to manually cut a recording while in process by tapping the "Cut" key on the player, which then continues the recording in a successively named/numbered file.

AudioGrabber, unlike Audials, doesn't have any built-in search/library for streaming content. So basically, you're finding and playing what you want thru your web browser or app of choice on your PC, and then using AudioGrabber to capture and record the stream as desired. But to accomplish the desired result, you do need to go into the Audio settings on your PC, the section for recording sources, and turn off or disable any other audio input sources like a built-in microphone or webcam, so only the line-in from your soundcard is getting captured.

The same program also rips MP3 files from audio CDs, and has a built-in tagging function for downloading and applying tag info to its recorded files.

https://www.audiograbber.org/

Thanks for all your work figuring that out , 

I have a "tin" ear , AM radio quality is fine for me , 

What I have been using the last few years is a cheap MP3 player that has 6 files that are about 8 hours long each, they were recorded off AOL radio stream too many years ago , 

I got lucky and 99 percent of the songs I like , 

But I thought I would try a few other streams and see if I like them......

Thanks again

Archived