Thailand Jan tourist arrivals rise 4.9% year-on-year: tourism ministry

rooster59

Thailand Jan tourist arrivals rise 4.9% year-on-year: tourism ministry

043a1f2aa2feb180bed777acb113cb87.jpeg

[BANGKOK] Thailand saw a 4.91 per cent increase in tourist arrivals in January year-on-year, after a 7.7 per cent rise in December, the tourism ministry said on Friday.

The 3.72 million tourists spent 196 billion baht (S$8.46 billion) in January, up 2.4 per cent from a year earlier.

Visitors from China, Thailand's biggest source of tourists, jumped 10.29 per cent in January from a year earlier.

Foreign tourist receipts account for about 12 per cent of Thailand's gross domestic product.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-02-23

I have been in and out of Don Muang 4 times over the past ten days and have to agree on this as it was always packed and very busy. I returned from Singapore a couple of nights back at 12.00 midnight and two flights from China had just arrived ....  so anyone who doesn't think the numbers aren't up should visit Don Muang and Suvarnarmbumi airports.  Just saying what I witnessed .....

5 minutes ago, steven100 said:

I have been in and out of Don Muang 4 times over the past ten days and have to agree on this as it was always packed and very busy. I returned from Singapore a couple of nights back at 12.00 midnight and two flights from China had just arrived ....  so anyone who doesn't think the numbers aren't up should visit Don Muang and Suvarnarmbumi airports.  Just saying what I witnessed .....

So you are suggesting all these extra tourists are arriving at midnight which is perhaps why all the other TV members who contradict you are not aware of all these extra Chinese millions who are entering during the hours of darkness ? ????????????

Massive amount of Chinese and Indian tourist pouring in huge amount of foreign currency. Massive amount of FDI and foreign currency inflow into Thai stock and bind market. Baht is appreciating unabated. Soon it will be $25/USD (2022/2023). What would happen to lots of retirees whose income won't meet requirements? Only the 800K "money in the bank" people will be the winners.

1 hour ago, geoffbezoz said:

So you are suggesting all these extra tourists are arriving at midnight which is perhaps why all the other TV members who contradict you are not aware of all these extra Chinese millions who are entering during the hours of darkness ?

Most flights from China come in the wee hours of the night. Massive amounts of Chinese tourists are pouring in

Onera must be a shill for the Bank of Thailand. Give us facts about now much money is flowing in to Thailand from China and India not some blank statement like you did. Give us your sources and please don't try and say the Bank of Thailand. Also you made the really broad assumption that the Baht will be only 25 to the U. S. without providing one iota of facts to back that statement up. You are clueless and nothing more than a sh..it disturbed.

Sent from my CMR-AL19 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

10 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

So you are suggesting all these extra tourists are arriving at midnight which is perhaps why all the other TV members who contradict you are not aware of all these extra Chinese millions who are entering during the hours of darkness ? ????????????

Most Chinese charter flights arrive and depart at night so tour operators can save money on hotels. The Chinese tourist stays for very short junkets.  Often just four days. They have a high daily spend doing full day tours but spend little overall because of their short trips. 

12 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

I honestly believe the TVF members ,  armchair experts , on every and any topic .555

On 2/22/2019 at 8:41 PM, geoffbezoz said:

I would suggest that chinese tourists are on the cheap and midnight landings are the cheapest cost at any airport. 

14 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

How much of this spending is hospital bills after accidents?

Suspect exactly how or where money is spent is of no concern to TAT, only the bottom line.   To put your point into context I would suspect that in percentage terms Thailand profit, per individuals singularly daily spend,  grosses a far greater margin on turnover from hospital fees  than it does from say bus or boat trips.

22 hours ago, Chippy151 said:

I was in Hua Hin about 3 weeks ago. Place was packed. Seemed to be lots of Scandinavians as always.

Also at Suvarnabhumi last Saturday night.

Place was jammed.

Thanks , I agree .....  as usual the keyboard know-alls think they know better .. lol  !!

8 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Thanks , I agree .....  as usual the keyboard know-alls think they know better .. lol  !!

And clearly they know a damn site better than you who assume that Hua Hin for a short stay together with the main airport is representative of Thailand.  You seem to disprove my theory that you need to spend a considerable time living and working in Thailand in order to make an informed opinion one way or the other on Thais. Indeed your own subject matter indicates  that you only need to be a visiting apologist to Thailand as clearly you have a broad spectrum of knowledge on the matter based on your trip to Hua Hin and airport experiences.

On 2/23/2019 at 2:09 AM, rooster59 said:

The 3.72 million tourists spent 196 billion baht (S$8.46 billion) in January, up 2.4 per cent from a year earlier.

Immigration records for tourism claim 3,602,332 entries in January 2018. That number includes 60 day TR's, 15 day VOA, and all the Visa exempt entries. It could be higher depending on what other categories of entry they might include as tourism.

So based on immigration entry records the numbers sound realistic.

8 hours ago, steven100 said:

So if there are so many tourists who are spending an obscene amount of money, how do you explain empty shop fronts all over the country and empty hotel rooms?

On 2/23/2019 at 2:41 AM, geoffbezoz said:

where are all these tv members contradicting him?its pretty much 50/50 on here, some are saying its busy & some aren't.

^

More a case of westerners down and chinese up and chinese don't do same westerners did so lot of hotels and shopping loosing out.

Chinese tours use lot of services link back to chinese and that growing while rest shrinking, it not exactly good for natural tourist economy as can be witnessed if lived here for decade or so .

TAT also never have a bad month, it all win win win baby, not much said about zero dollar tours these days as obviously high ranks getting envelopes, the rest of the businesses relying on natural tourism remain struggle or close doors ...

1 hour ago, paulikens said:

where are all these tv members contradicting him?its pretty much 50/50 on here, some are saying its busy & some aren't.

Sure ,  50 per cent never go out , and the other 50 per cent stay in , hence value less opinions .555

Archived