Pattaya seems really quiet to me.

lovelomsak

I   got to Pattaya 2 days ago at 4pm. I took  motorcycle taxi to my hotel from the bus station on the highway. It should have been rush hour. It was more like early sunday morning traffic. Never in all my years have I seen so little traffic in Pattaya at 4pm. Every where I have gone since, getting here  has been quiet. The massage girl just sit and look sad. Not even on phones just sit in gloom. There is no traffic to speak of.It is dead. No one is hustling it is like every one has given up. A ghost town to what it was.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why is it every tourist farang want's to declare Pattaya is either dead or soon to be dead?  I've been living here for 12 years and the city keeps on growing. The town is growing by leaps and bounds every month. Sure it's not as compact as it used to be but that's only because the business' are more spread out.  

11 minutes ago, bbko said:

Why is it every tourist farang want's to declare Pattaya is either dead or soon to be dead?

Interesting isn't it, do they go come expecting it to be busy or quiet? the vast majority of farang tourists believe Pattaya only exists around beach road, its a big spread out city now with a lot happening ????

3 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

A ghost town to what it was.

No it isn't.   If you were a new member I would suggest you're a troll. But with over 3000 posts surely you can not be.

I suggest you take a trip to Naklua, Pattaya Central rd, walk up and down Beach rd. walk up Soi Buakaow, Pattaya Tai, 3rd road. And observe if there is no traffic.  

Then you can come back here and whine about nothing. 

I went into Jomtien the other day from Siam Country Road and it took an hour. Sukhumvit was jammed at each traffic light. It's busy enough. The Lake area is, however, quieter than it has been for many years. Aging resident population plus poor exchange rates fro retirees no doubt contributing.

North Road may be quiet but Thappraya Road between Pattaya and Jomtien is packed most of the day and night now. Also the whole length of South Road is often very busy, and I wont even start on the inevitable traffic jam around the VC Hotel in the 2nd Road extension, or the equally inevitable one around the corner of Beach Road and South Road.

Wow cannot believe how many here think what I said was made by a tourist. Yes I was tourist for 20 year but have been a resident for 12 years. I come to Pattaya about 6 times a year. I feel I have a very good feel for the pulse.  I was probably here long before many posters even thought of visiting here.

I have been here 3 days now I have seen nothing to compare with the usual high season sorry guys and I have seen high season for decades. It is a ghost town to me. The shop owners are so depressed they donot even get up to help customers just sit and look into space.

Believe what you want reality is reality.

10 hours ago, bbko said:

Why is it every tourist farang want's to declare Pattaya is either dead or soon to be dead?  I've been living here for 12 years and the city keeps on growing. The town is growing by leaps and bounds every month. Sure it's not as compact as it used to be but that's only because the business' are more spread out.  

I did not make any statements about being dead or dead soon I said it was like a ghost town.

Pattaya will go for ever I am not stupid but at the present time it is lagging for sure.

I have been here long enough to see Pattaya go through many changes. I remember the late 90's the condos  were crashing,many thought the end f Pattaya .This was when every thing ended at 2nd road there was no Soi Baukeaw but things changed.

With all this said when I came in 2 days ago I cannot remember ever being in such light traffic at 4 pm. Say what you will I talk only from my own experiences.

I did not make any statements about being dead or dead soon I said it was like a ghost town.
   Pattaya will go for ever I am not stupid but at the present time it is lagging for sure.
    I have been here long enough to see Pattaya go through many changes. I remember the late 90's the condos  were crashing,many thought the end f Pattaya .This was when every thing ended at 2nd road there was no Soi Baukeaw but things changed.
   With all this said when I came in 2 days ago I cannot remember ever being in such light traffic at 4 pm. Say what you will I talk only from my own experiences.

You are wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

12 hours ago, bbko said:

Yes, growing like a tumour. The place is a dump, maybe discerning tourists have woken up to that fact. 

Looks like this post needs some clarification of what was meant.

I was referring to the tourist part of Patttaya. That it appears to be down a lot.

The drive in as just the start of experiencing how quiet the tourist area is.I got to my hotel after 4pm no reservation,just walked in. I was offered rooms on any floor at front of hotel or back of hotel. So the hotel was basically empty. This is hotel that if there are tourists in town it is fully booked by 2 pm.

After booking in   I took a walk down soi Diana from second road to soi bouykaew  It was so quiet. During the whole walk 2 cars came down the soi, 5 motorcycles and 7 people walking 2 were foreigners. That was it. Never have I seen that before. It truly was like a ghost town.

Do not get me wrong I know this is just how it is at the moment  and things change but boy was it a shocker to experience no one around.

And all you expats who live here in their gated communities do not worry the cesspool called Pattaya will be here for a long time. It may lose most of its tourist but will still survive  with out any real infrastructure for a long time yet.

6 minutes ago, lovelomsak said:

I was referring to the tourist part of Patttaya. That it appears to be down a lot.

The drive in as just the start of experiencing how quiet the tourist area is.I got to my hotel after 4pm no reservation,just walked in. I was offered rooms on any floor at front of hotel or back of hotel. So the hotel was basically empty. This is hotel that if there are tourists in town it is fully booked by 2 pm.

After booking in   I took a walk down soi Diana from second road to soi bouykaew  It was so quiet. During the whole walk 2 cars came down the soi, 5 motorcycles and 7 people walking 2 were foreigners. That was it. Never have I seen that before. It truly was like a ghost town.

Do not get me wrong I know this is just how it is at the moment  and things change but boy was it a shocker to experience no one around.

And all you expats who live here in their gated communities do not worry the cesspool called Pattaya will be here for a long time. It may lose most of its tourist but will still survive  with out any real infrastructure for a long time yet.

Guys defending pattaya not busy may be realtors or bar owners.  I think generally it has slowed but like anything there are a few top traders doing very good business but all the rest I believe are suffering.  However the 711s and all you can eat seafood buffets are rapidly expanding with the chinese and indian tourists.  The russians will keep the supermarkets busy.  It's a changing dynamic and if you are looking for the same experience as 3, 5 or even 10 years ago it is long gone and it ain't coming back.  Take it for what it is or what it isn't:)

25 minutes ago, lovelomsak said:

If you think Pattaya is a " Cesspool "    

Quote :- I was tourist for 20 year but have been a resident for 12 years. I come to Pattaya about 6 times a year. I feel I have a very good feel for the pulse.  I was probably here long before many posters even thought of visiting here.

why ! OH! why!  Do you keep coming back ???  Is your home town that bad The Cesspool you call Pattaya is a better option than your home country/Town....  (double standards ) ..and yes I feel this is a troll post too

1 hour ago, tlandtday said:

Guys defending pattaya not busy may be realtors or bar owners.  I think generally it has slowed but like anything there are a few top traders doing very good business but all the rest I believe are suffering.  However the 711s and all you can eat seafood buffets are rapidly expanding with the chinese and indian tourists.  The russians will keep the supermarkets busy.  It's a changing dynamic and if you are looking for the same experience as 3, 5 or even 10 years ago it is long gone and it ain't coming back.  Take it for what it is or what it isn't:)

I'm neither a realtor or a bar owner, all I'm saying is Pattaya is expanding, expansion means people aren't confined to the same small area as before (Beach Road/2nd Raod/3rd Road).  Terminal 21 will draw people away from Central Festival/Royal Garden/Marina, etc. Harbor Mall will draw people away from Tuk Com.  More and more places to eat and drink will draw people away for the same tired restaurants/bars.  The LK Metro go go bars will draw people away from Walking Street.  I live on the darkside and in just a dew years we had numerous 7/11s, Tesco Express' and Mini Big C shops open up, the small mom and pop shop near my house is suffering, survival of the fittest as work.

2 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

This is hard to believe. At around 5 or 6 in the evening I often sit at Nikom Court having a quiet beer and people watching. I see more than you have described above in the quietest 2 or 3 minutes of any time I am there. Not, not believing you, but as I say, I am there often at that time, including last week and my experience is very different. But I do believe things are spread out a lot more. Most of the time, I hate going anywhere by car because there are still a lot of traffic hot spots. The bike is a lot easier. ???? I do find there are a lot less Westerners and a lot more Chinese and Russians.

Not really sure, I was over to Ko Larn yesterday, busy with many Chinese and Indians. I have a couple of friends visiting. I showed them around Soi 6, LK Metro, and Walking Street. All were busy but I am not sure how much people were spending. My friends were certainly contributing to the local economy. They booked four days in a hotel on Bukhao but were not able to extend at that location when they decided to stay until March 1st. That said they had no trouble finding a new hotel on Soi Lengkee that met their needs and price level. Pattaya may be a little slower than normal, but certainly not dead. 

Archived