Pattaya seems really quiet to me.

lovelomsak

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/23/2019 at 1:05 PM, balo said:

No it isn't.   If you were a new member I would suggest you're a troll. But with over 3000 posts surely you can not be.

I suggest you take a trip to Naklua, Pattaya Central rd, walk up and down Beach rd. walk up Soi Buakaow, Pattaya Tai, 3rd road. And observe if there is no traffic.  

Then you can come back here and whine about nothing. 

5555 good comment but its a big walk the way you mention maybe he should take a back pack and try to do it in 3 days ????????????

On 2/23/2019 at 12:59 PM, champers said:

Don't tell anyone, but those new 500 room hotels like Brighton Grand and Centre Point don't actually have any customers. It makes you wonder why they were built.

I was in Pattaya back in 2016 and I thought it was so weird that new condo projects were being done all the time while many condos were half-empty or worse. Also quite bad for the maintenance of the condos of course. Many of those condos will find trouble in the future to maintain their swimming pools, lifts, etc… I also visited some condos with my girlfriend, looking for a place to stay and we also visited some rundown condos. I fear that could be the state of many of these half-empty condos in the next 10 years or so. I certainly would be very careful to buy a condo in Pattaya. 

I lived in Jomtien 2006-2014 before moving to Chiang Mai.

Pattaya continues to spiral downward yearly as the crime rate escalates.

Its too bad they dont completely remodel / revamp Beach Rd and Second and Third Roads and make it an attractive place to visit.

It continues to resemble Nana Plaza more and more.

If you have a gold chain on in Pattaya, it has a 1 hr life expectancy, especially near the open market on Siam Country Club Rd, there is definitely a gold snatch n grab gang there for many years.

Also Beach Road, you can read weekly if not daily about gold snatching there.

when I arrived in 2006 I was warned dont walk on the beach side of Beach Road after 9 pm and it remains very true today, if you doubt it..... read Pattaya Daily News for a week.

I have lived in Chiang Mai 4.5 yrs now and not heard of or read of one gold snatching or motorbike punks grabbing a ladies purse.

6 boys about 14-17 on 3 motorbikes chased us down Soi 27 off Siam Country Club at 7 pm and tried robbing us.

I was only 100 meters from my friends house so grabbed the gas and left, they chased us down to my friends driveway, now they faced 4 big guys....I wanted to rip their heads off, as I moved towards them, 2 of the 6 drew pustols, if he had shot he wouldnt have missed me at 15 meters, they heard the police had been called so jumped on bikes and took off.

A few months later I saw the little piece if shit picture in PDN and he had been arrested for armed tobbery.

You can keep Pattaya....all of it~!!

Pattaya is great if you are working on an oil Platform or a camp job and you just want to support the local prostitute trade during your break and NOTHING ELSE.....NOTHING

11 minutes ago, Captain 776 said:

Its too bad they dont completely remodel / revamp Beach Rd and Second and Third Roads and make it an attractive place to visit.

If you have a gold chain on in Pattaya, it has a 1 hr life expectancy, especially near the open market on Siam Country Club Rd, there is definitely a gold snatch n grab gang there for many years.

when I arrived in 2006 I was warned dont walk on the beach side of Beach Road after 9 pm and it remains very true today, if you doubt it..... read Pattaya Daily News for a week.

I have lived in Chiang Mai 4.5 yrs now and not heard of or read of one gold snatching or motorbike punks grabbing a ladies purse.

6 boys about 14-17 on 3 motorbikes chased us down Soi 27 off Siam Country Club at 7 pm and tried robbing us.

I was only 100 meters from my friends house so grabbed the gas and left, they chased us down to my friends driveway, now they faced 4 big guys....I wanted to rip their heads off, as I moved towards them, 2 of the 6 drew pustols, if he had shot he wouldnt have missed me at 15 meters, they heard the police had been called so jumped on bikes and took off.

A few months later I saw the little piece if shit picture in PDN and he had been arrested for armed tobbery.

Pattaya is great if you are working on an oil Platform or a camp job and you just want to support the local prostitute trade during your break and NOTHING ELSE.....NOTHING

What a load og nonsens in 2019  !!

17 minutes ago, Captain 776 said:

What an idiot statement , you have lost it completely. 

Many happy families living in and near Pattaya , who are never involved in the bar scene and prostitution. Myself included. 

Pattaya is more than that , if you move around in this big city , apparently you have not. 

17 minutes ago, Captain 776 said:

For a guy living the Chiang Mai Dream u sound kinda cranky.

I find Chiang mai interesting place but after a week orso it becomes really boring then no beaches around  so I could never living there.

Nice for u that u can show of all ur gold there safely.

38 minutes ago, Captain 776 said:

"when I arrived in 2006 I was warned dont walk on the beach side of Beach Road after 9 pm and it remains very true today, if you doubt it..... read Pattaya Daily News for a week."

But you stayed 8 years anyway? Thats a long time to remain terrified

On 2/24/2019 at 1:21 PM, banglay said:

If you think Pattaya is a " Cesspool "    

Quote :- I was tourist for 20 year but have been a resident for 12 years. I come to Pattaya about 6 times a year. I feel I have a very good feel for the pulse.  I was probably here long before many posters even thought of visiting here.

why ! OH! why!  Do you keep coming back ???  Is your home town that bad The Cesspool you call Pattaya is a better option than your home country/Town....  (double standards ) ..and yes I feel this is a troll post too

I come back for the foreigner food. Where I am there is virtually no foreign food. 

The y put ketchup and mayonaise on their pizza instead of cheese.

I come here eat steaks at the Beefeater,stock up on canned goods from the stores. Have real pizzas etc. I usually last 4 or 5 days then go home with suitcase full of food.

On 2/23/2019 at 8:30 PM, lovelomsak said:

I did not make any statements about being dead or dead soon I said it was like a ghost town.

Pattaya will go for ever I am not stupid but at the present time it is lagging for sure.

I have been here long enough to see Pattaya go through many changes. I remember the late 90's the condos  were crashing,many thought the end f Pattaya .This was when every thing ended at 2nd road there was no Soi Baukeaw but things changed.

With all this said when I came in 2 days ago I cannot remember ever being in such light traffic at 4 pm. Say what you will I talk only from my own experiences.

Really don't see any difference between describing Pattaya as being 'dead' or a 'ghost town'.  Ghost town = nobody there, so, dead in my book.    Living here full-time and not just visiting now and then, I can say it is busy year-round, but perhaps a different busy to what you are used to in years past.  Encountering some light traffic was unusual and to be savored--usually it is far from 'light' most of the time.

What you may need to consider is the tourists, visitors, and residents are now spread out all over.  They're not all packed into one area.  I am in Wong Amat and there are a number of new hotels here, in addition to the ones that were already here.  In addition, there are large condo projects here that weren't in existence a few years ago--including the huge Riviera Wong Amat project, and others such as The Palm, Zire, Baan Plai Haad, and Wong Amat Tower, plus numerous smaller ones. And the two Lumpini projects with several thousand units.

It's the same in Jomtien, Pratamnuk, and Cosy Beach--they all have  lots of large new condo projects where many tourists are staying using Airbnb and the like.  Ditto with shopping--Central Festival used to be the main draw.  Now the tourists are split between it, the huge Terminal 21, the re-done Central Marina, and others.  Gosh, Central Festival doesn't seem as busy as I remember it--Pattaya is a ghost town!  No, Pattaya is now so busy it can support both Central Festival and Terminal 21.

It may, indeed, be true that some Mom and Pop shops are not doing the same business they did a few years ago but that doesn't automatically equate to there being less tourists.  Rather, the tourist demographic is ever changing and many of today's tourists are found elsewhere--both in where they are staying and where they are shopping, eating, being entertained, etc.   

On 2/24/2019 at 2:34 PM, bbko said:

I'm neither a realtor or a bar owner, all I'm saying is Pattaya is expanding, expansion means people aren't confined to the same small area as before (Beach Road/2nd Raod/3rd Road).  Terminal 21 will draw people away from Central Festival/Royal Garden/Marina, etc. Harbor Mall will draw people away from Tuk Com.  More and more places to eat and drink will draw people away for the same tired restaurants/bars.  The LK Metro go go bars will draw people away from Walking Street.  I live on the darkside and in just a dew years we had numerous 7/11s, Tesco Express' and Mini Big C shops open up, the small mom and pop shop near my house is suffering, survival of the fittest as work.

Well said. I posted something along the same lines before I saw yours.  

OP needs to come to Jomtien and see the hordes.  Chinese, Russians up the wazoo.

Baht busses from Pattaya to Jomtien are a nightmare.  I just got back from 3 months 

in Bangkok and it was quieter there!!  I can't wait to leave again.

11 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

I come back for the foreigner food. Where I am there is virtually no foreign food. 

The y put ketchup and mayonaise on their pizza instead of cheese.

I come here eat steaks at the Beefeater,stock up on canned goods from the stores. Have real pizzas etc. I usually last 4 or 5 days then go home with suitcase full of food.

BKK is closer with more food options than Pattaya, or do you consider it an even bigger toilet?

jomtien  is busy,  just done my walk on the beach,  it's packed and only a weekday and still only morning. Bars and massage  brothels are evidently quite but couole/family attractions are buzzing...... Yesterday had a rare drink in soi7 and low and behold bill got padded.... Any wonder these type of business are dead

Just sit outside Subway on the intersection of Soi Bhukaow and Soi Lenhke at 7:00 PM. Absolutely full of people motorbikes and other vehicles. I can assure Pattaya is not dead in any shape or form. I have lived in Pattaya for 5 years. That does allow me to rightfully give my opinion.

Yes Pattaya is full of people, after all it's high season. More busy this year than I can remember from last February. 

But give it another 2 months and I suspect it will be a lot less tourists around. Except for the Chinese, they don't give up easily. 

More traffic can have another reason. The money from the banks is cheap and many Thais can

buy a car and pay mothly with not too much intrest.

As soon as they can show a montly income and have not too much depts a new car is no problem

That's why the traffic here in Korat grows horrible...

On 2/25/2019 at 8:04 PM, newnative said:

Really don't see any difference between describing Pattaya as being 'dead' or a 'ghost town'.  Ghost town = nobody there, so, dead in my book.    Living here full-time and not just visiting now and then, I can say it is busy year-round, but perhaps a different busy to what you are used to in years past.  Encountering some light traffic was unusual and to be savored--usually it is far from 'light' most of the time.

What you may need to consider is the tourists, visitors, and residents are now spread out all over.  They're not all packed into one area.  I am in Wong Amat and there are a number of new hotels here, in addition to the ones that were already here.  In addition, there are large condo projects here that weren't in existence a few years ago--including the huge Riviera Wong Amat project, and others such as The Palm, Zire, Baan Plai Haad, and Wong Amat Tower, plus numerous smaller ones. And the two Lumpini projects with several thousand units.

It's the same in Jomtien, Pratamnuk, and Cosy Beach--they all have  lots of large new condo projects where many tourists are staying using Airbnb and the like.  Ditto with shopping--Central Festival used to be the main draw.  Now the tourists are split between it, the huge Terminal 21, the re-done Central Marina, and others.  Gosh, Central Festival doesn't seem as busy as I remember it--Pattaya is a ghost town!  No, Pattaya is now so busy it can support both Central Festival and Terminal 21.

It may, indeed, be true that some Mom and Pop shops are not doing the same business they did a few years ago but that doesn't automatically equate to there being less tourists.  Rather, the tourist demographic is ever changing and many of today's tourists are found elsewhere--both in where they are staying and where they are shopping, eating, being entertained, etc.   

Very inciteful and intelligent post.

My friend has a condo off Sukhumvit in a large building several km from most anything.

Many ST renters coming in daily from online bookings.  They have to catch a taxi to get to Central. 

There are more people then ever coming here I believe and as you say, they are spread out more then before.

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

My friend has a condo off Sukhumvit in a large building several km from most anything.

Many ST renters coming in daily from online bookings.  They have to catch a taxi to get to Central. 

There are more people then ever coming here.

So these tourists travel here. Stay in the middle of nowhere. And then take a cab to the mall. Why didn't I think of that ? 

On 2/26/2019 at 3:49 PM, SinCityGr8One said:

Just sit outside Subway on the intersection of Soi Bhukaow and Soi Lenhke at 7:00 PM. Absolutely full of people motorbikes and other vehicles. I can assure Pattaya is not dead in any shape or form. I have lived in Pattaya for 5 years. That does allow me to rightfully give my opinion.

Was having a night out on Soi LK mid-week, pretty busy, especially Billabong.

Archived