Points system for traffic offences passes NLR - foreigners renting to get fines in the post

rooster59

Points system for traffic offences passes NLR - foreigners renting to get fines in the post

aHR0cHM6Ly9zLmlzYW5vb2suY29tL25zLzAvdWQvMTUzNy83Njg5MTU4L25ld3MwNi5qcGc=.jpg

Image: Sanook

Changes to old traffic regulations dating back to 1979 have been passed by the National Legislative Assembly. 

Police will have the power to confiscate vehicles used by drunks. 

Foreigners renting vehicles can expect to get fines through the post or by electronic means.

Sanook reported that the decision to amend the law was virtually unanimous with three abstentions. It will next head to a government committee for ratification after some public consultations. 

It is expected that 12 points will be issued to each driver. 

They will lose points for each infraction - Sanook said this could be one point for going through a red light and three for not getting out of the way of an ambulance, for example. 

When all points were exhausted the licence would be suspended for a period. 

Points could be topped up if training was undertaken but drivers would have to pay for that. 

The above details are where the public consultation phase will come into play.

When it comes to drink driving the police will have the power to seize vehicles and licences on the grounds that the driver or rider is a danger. After a period they will be returned. 

How fines are levied on rental vehicles caused much debate and the assembly was suspended for two hours after disagreement broke out when it was suggested that rental companies should be liable.

This was deemed to be a bad idea as no one should be responsible for someone else's fines. 

In the case where the renter is a foreigner the person breaking the law can expect the fine to be sent to their address. 

It was not stated in the report if people could expect fines in their home countries after leaving Thailand. 

Thaivisa notes that in some countries fines are paid by renters via their credit cards - this option was not mentioned in the Sanook report.

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-02-23

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

and how about getting into the modern world and allowing motorbikes over a certain engine size on tollways 600cc +

all other SEA countries and in the west allow large motorbikes on motorways - Thailand claims to be a modern hub and leader and yet their traffic laws are still from the 1970's

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

In the case where the renter is a foreigner the person breaking the law can expect the fine to be sent to their address. 

It was not stated in the report if people could expect fines in their home countries after leaving Thailand. 

Thaivisa notes that in some countries fines are paid by renters via their credit cards - this option was not mentioned in the Sanook report.

From the TV documentaries I've seen recently about the police in the UK, if they stop someone for an offence who are on holiday using a foreign licence, the police seem to have to power to collect an 'on the spot fine', ensuring the fine is paid.

I'm surprised the RTP haven't gone down this route. There again, planning isn't exactly their strong point.

This concept is pointless in Thailand...there is no one to enforce it...it doesn’t matter what the rules are if there is no one to enforce it.

And can you honestly imagine the Locals having the ability to implement the infrastructure to do this (oh hang on, maybe onto something there, nice little 30% earner on the system build and commissioning even if it never actually gets used).

1 hour ago, phuketrichard said:

funny,  as i recall growing up in America, you started with zero points, get 12 and ur license was suspended, LOL

Lost my license a few times for  spinning wheels and drag racing

I always imagined Danny La Rue being caught drag racing.

Only 1 point for going through a red light and causing the accident that requires an ambulance, but 3 points for not getting out of the way of an ambulance because you're stuck in traffic. They really aren't thinking this thing through are they.

And as for sending infringement notices overseas, as happened to me when an Australian ticket arrived after I'd used my Singapore license down there on a visit home, a simple "Return to sender. Not known at this address" takes care of that.

1 hour ago, smedly said:

and how about getting into the modern world and allowing motorbikes over a certain engine size on tollways 600cc +

all other SEA countries and in the west allow large motorbikes on motorways - Thailand claims to be a modern hub and leader and yet their traffic laws are still from the 1970's

Hell  no, can you imagine the carnage? Remember, these are mainly Thais, who ride like lunatics.  Keep them off the expressway for ever.  

6 minutes ago, Buffy Frobisher said:

Only 1 point for going through a red light and causing the accident that requires an ambulance, but 3 points for not getting out of the way of an ambulance because you're stuck in traffic. They really aren't thinking this thing through are they.

And as for sending infringement notices overseas, as happened to me when an Australian ticket arrived after I'd used my Singapore license down there on a visit home, a simple "Return to sender. Not known at this address" takes care of that.

They never think things through, that's  why the laws are hardly ever enforced.  Remember the nobody in the back of a pick up truck idea?  Or the no street food idea, or the only two on a motorbike idea, or the Baht busses only stopping at designated bus stops idea,  or the taxis must always use their meters at all times idea, or the  ..................... 

Hey, well I don't think that it's hard as all hire vehicles names would be on the system when the provider puts details in the system, and so from there the police would have access to those details so they put a stop on the affenders passport at immigration you can't leave till you pay. 

Easy easy easy yes!  No ! Maybe!  

Come on whats the best way? 

When 40% of drivers don't have a license anyway, how is this going to help ?   It doesn't matter what cockeyed idea's they come up with after they've eaten their free lunch and argued about who should pay what when they don't have a professional Police Force that upholds all the laws.  Just another case of talking but never doing !

44 minutes ago, Buffy Frobisher said:

Are they planning to take a copy of your passport in the process ? If so would they catch up with you at immigration? Or would they fine the hire company who would then deduct from your credit card ?

6 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

Are they planning to take a copy of your passport in the process ? If so would they catch up with you at immigration? Or would they fine the hire company who would then deduct from your credit card ?

You've lost them already.

2 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

funny,  as i recall growing up in America, you started with zero points, get 12 and ur license was suspended, LOL

Lost my license a few times for  spinning wheels and drag racing

What's the difference between accumulating points from 0 to 12 and having point deducted from 12 to 0?

3 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Only one point deducted for going through a red light? Seems ridiculously lenient to me.

I could agree; In my country (France) you lost 4 points (on 12) to not respect a Red Light or a Stop. Good.

Now let's be realistic: If they would strictly apply a 4 points per Red Light, in 1 month most Thai people have lost their 12 points... :sad:

So in my opinion it's a good thing to install this system, but give it some time. When Thai people will start to understand it and to respect street rules (yes, it will happen) then it will be easy to increase the penalty for going through a Red Light or other break of important safety rules.

2 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

I could agree; In my country (France) you lost 4 points (on 12) to not respect a Red Light or a Stop. Good.

Now let's be realistic: If they would strictly apply a 4 points per Red Light, in 1 month most Thai people have lost their 12 points... :sad:

So in my opinion it's a good thing to install this system, but give it some time. When Thai people will start to understand it and to respect street rules (yes, it will happen) then it will be easy to increase the penalty for going through a Red Light or other break of important safety rules.

What if the stop sign is completely obscured with trees or plants?

Archived