Points system for traffic offences passes NLR - foreigners renting to get fines in the post

rooster59

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

Have a friend who is a bike cop.

I asked him how he knows what he does each day. 

He say, "Boss say, today farang, or today helmets and licences".

So you don't just book everyone?

"Only what boss say, we do"....

I heard this same job description a year ago from a bar owner pisshead, who also asked a traffic officer a similar question.

4 hours ago, bluesofa said:

From the TV documentaries I've seen recently about the police in the UK, if they stop someone for an offence who are on holiday using a foreign licence, the police seem to have to power to collect an 'on the spot fine', ensuring the fine is paid.

I'm surprised the RTP haven't gone down this route. There again, planning isn't exactly their strong point.

"On the spot fines or tea money in Thailand??

4 hours ago, Buffy Frobisher said:

Only 1 point for going through a red light and causing the accident that requires an ambulance, but 3 points for not getting out of the way of an ambulance because you're stuck in traffic. They really aren't thinking this thing through are they.

And as for sending infringement notices overseas, as happened to me when an Australian ticket arrived after I'd used my Singapore license down there on a visit home, a simple "Return to sender. Not known at this address" takes care of that.

Until u get copped at Immigration on the next visit for outstanding fines, its coming.

15 minutes ago, malt25 said:

"Sanook said this could be one point for going through a red light and three for not getting out of the way of an ambulance, for example. Suggest you re-read the OP.

Why? Even as a suggestion it is ridiculously lenient.

2 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

When Thai people will start to understand it and to respect street rules (yes, it will happen) then it will be easy to increase the penalty.

Thai people have to know the rules first and at the moment they don`t have a clue.

15 minutes ago, dcnx said:

There are endless untapped sources of wealth here, but they are too stupid and short sided to see them.

Surprisingly no one in the LOS

(Land Of Scams), hasn't milked the number plate speeding infringement one. 

One ingenious group in the uk set themselves up with a tripod camera and took thousands of snaps of car rear ends and by some means had the vehicle owners address details. 

Sent them a lookalike infringement notification and picture. Number plate. 

Saying that they were exceeding the speed limit. 

Please pay to Box 9999 London. £65.

They evidently made several million from it.

28 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

I was thinking that 12 points is 12 red lights.

Most around pattaya would do that in one hour..

Red light cameras are an untapped source of wealth here.

Passive speed cameras on overpasses, points for using mobile phones on bikes and while driving a vehicle.

Never work in this backward country, haven’t even got a vehicle database. If I transgressed they would be looking for a yank who went back to Oklahoma 6yrs ago. And I’m from good old Blighty absolute cowboys the lot of them.

10 minutes ago, Buffy Frobisher said:

No mate, been home 50 times since then. Nothing.

But will come soon.

Australia has the Sheriff's office set up with number plate identification cameras. 

They pull you and you pay every dollar you owe for any outstanding infringements or you park the car and walk.

Everything is going on the big database.

Centre link and pensions are already linked to the passport. 

Mine has to be manually scanned in and out of Australia every time.

And as soon as it is, the pension goes to 100% again. 

Big Brother is not silly...

6 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Only one point deducted for going through a red light? Seems ridiculously lenient to me.

As will the suspension period, don't expect the "one year" ban.

it'll probably be one month then back on the road with a clean sheet.

17 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

But will come soon.

Australia has the Sheriff's office set up with number plate identification cameras. 

They pull you and you pay every dollar you owe for any outstanding infringements or you park the car and walk.

Everything is going on the big database.

Centre link and pensions are already linked to the passport. 

Mine has to be manually scanned in and out of Australia every time.

And as soon as it is, the pension goes to 100% again. 

Big Brother is not silly...

Yes it is truly incredible.  The sheriff vehicles now have two cameras mounted on the top pointing to the left and to the right.  They cruise the streets and scan number plates of vehicles parked in the driveway and the system then identifies those with unpaid fines or warrants etc.  Wheels are then clamped in your driveway. But even that won't stop some people. 

7 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Hard to believe that an ambulance can be a dangerously speeding pick up belching diesel trying to beat its competition to the accident. They need more clarity on that. 

A dangerously speeding pickup with lights and siren on, going to try and save someone's life!!!! You won't be complaining if it's your life they're trying to save one day! ????

6 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Seems a bit harsh to be going around taking alcholics’ vehicles. 

We all know that "alcholics" are the safest drivers as alcohol improves peoples driving and reduces their chance of causing a crash. Why does the UK give a 2 year ban for drink driving when these drivers are so safe? The only reasons given are statistics showing that alcohol is involved in a higher proportion of crashes and road deaths which of course are all lies and a big conspiracy. Where's my tin foil hat gone? Must have left it in the pub before I drove home. No wonder I ran that little boy over, bloody mind controlling smart meters.

6 hours ago, bluesofa said:

From the TV documentaries I've seen recently about the police in the UK, if they stop someone for an offence who are on holiday using a foreign licence, the police seem to have to power to collect an 'on the spot fine', ensuring the fine is paid.

I'm surprised the RTP haven't gone down this route. There again, planning isn't exactly their strong point.

Wrong,they don’t. UK police cannot collect on the spot fines. They can in some European countries like France.

10 minutes ago, nchuckle said:
6 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Wrong,they don’t. UK police cannot collect on the spot fines. They can in some European countries like France.

That was stated in a documentary. Googling produces this:

“The police are already able to take on-the-spot fines from foreign drivers who break the rules and can immobilise their vehicles."  [April 2012]

source: https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/313289/Foreign-speeders-escape-4m-fines/amp

7 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

funny,  as i recall growing up in America, you started with zero points, get 12 and ur license was suspended, LOL

Lost my license a few times for  spinning wheels and drag racing

Simply semantics, they are demerit points. Whether you start with zero points and go up, or 12 and go down is irrelevant. In Canada, they start with zero and you work up but some count starting with 15 and go down. Makes no difference. When you hit nine points you have to go in for an interview to explain yourself and your driving record. Points cycle through on a two-year drop, but tickets remain on record and your ticket profile is viewable for 5 years for police and insurance companies. Speeding 1-15 kph over 0 points, just a fine but on your record, 16-21 kph over 3 points etc.. Stop sign/red light 3 points. There is the fine but after two tickets of any kind, insurance companies will increase your insurance by 20% for each subsequent ticket regardless of points. So a double whammy. Here a start, and if cameras were installed at intersections and speed cameras on highways the government could pay for all the hospital budget shortfalls. highspeed rail, tanks, submarines, and jets that the current government wants. 

7 hours ago, smedly said:

and how about getting into the modern world and allowing motorbikes over a certain engine size on tollways 600cc +

all other SEA countries and in the west allow large motorbikes on motorways - Thailand claims to be a modern hub and leader and yet their traffic laws are still from the 1970's

100% agree  with you mate considering a 600 cc will travel faster then most cars  

I see a issue here as most thai drivers would lose their licence in a day in a western country 

And then we have the police your drunk you have no insurance and they pull you over pay off the officer all good to go. The only way they going to get fined and lose points is by cameras.  Thai just don't care on the roads there are no rules period 

This will come into force and be forgotten in aboit 1 month like most things here 

Just now, sawadee1947 said:
9 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Police will have the power to confiscate vehicles used by drunks. 

Seems to be a new source of income for police. 

Prices for bribing might get up. 

Don't forget the new bicycle regulation that has been issued in the past month: Cycling while drunk - fine 500 Baht. That'll be a big earner for the police.

10 hours ago, rooster59 said:

It is expected that 12 points will be issued to each driver. 

It's about bloody time.

All these lunatics on the road continually breaking the law because they only have a small fine to pay.

My wife regularly gets speeding tickets, which I pay, take her licence away I say and all the others that choose to break the law.

Archived