Points system for traffic offences passes NLR - foreigners renting to get fines in the post

rooster59

4 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

It's about bloody time.

All these lunatics on the road continually breaking the law because they only have a small fine to pay.

My wife regularly gets speeding tickets, which I pay, take her licence away I say and all the others that choose to break the law.

While i agree, what good will it do taking her licence away? It seems 30-40% of Thais drive without one.

Without a licence any insurance is invalid, making the driver responsible for any claim against them.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, akampa said:

Its good to enforce the law but I do not want the police in Thailand to become like the police forces in England and Germany and else where. 

You mean you despise law enforcement officers being honest, diligent and hard-working?

9 hours ago, bluesofa said:

From the TV documentaries I've seen recently about the police in the UK, if they stop someone for an offence who are on holiday using a foreign licence, the police seem to have to power to collect an 'on the spot fine', ensuring the fine is paid.

I'm surprised the RTP haven't gone down this route. There again, planning isn't exactly their strong point.

I thought that is all the RTP did collect 'on the spot' fines!!! 5555????????????????????????

The missing link in this entire scenario is a well trained, well paid, well regulated, accountable to the public police force. All the laws, edicts, appeals, laments, photo ops, cartoonic depictions and hand wringing is pointless. Disband and start from scratch. Singapore did similar and are light years ahead of this clown factory.

3 hours ago, dave moir said:

A dangerously speeding pickup with lights and siren on, going to try and save someone's life!!!! You won't be complaining if it's your life they're trying to save one day! ????

These guys seriously are out of control and break every common sense driving rule about speeding, and are a serious danger to everyone on the road. But of course ever in that position of needing emergency help, I really don’t care who it is who helps, but just as long as it is a real ambulance taking me or whomever is with me to the hospital. 

The real reason people pull over for them is that they are scared to get smashed by them. : ) 

8 hours ago, malt25 said:

"Sanook said this could be one point for going through a red light and three for not getting out of the way of an ambulance, for example. Suggest you re-read the OP.

So if you are at a red light and an ambulance comes up behind you does that mean you have to take 1 point for going through the red light to make way for the ambulance ?

8 hours ago, dcnx said:

1) No foreigner is going to be sent a ticket back in his / her home country, nor will they be obligated to pay it if they did. It’s laughable to even suggest this.

2) NONE of this will be enforced anyway. Law makers can pass a million new traffic rules and none of them will be followed by the police. Not one. Zero. They can’t be bothered.

The Thai police are lazy, inept, corrupt, and are an embarrassment to real law enforcement around the world. They are the reason laws are not followed here. 

This isn't about the police, it's to do with automation i.e. Speed cameras, red-light cameras, lane-changing cameras. Fines are sent automatically .

10 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

This isn't about the police, it's to do with automation i.e. Speed cameras, red-light cameras, lane-changing cameras. Fines are sent automatically .

It’s still not going to be enforced. Police still have to enforce things like confiscating vehicles, and they won’t. They also won’t be taken off the streets and lose their income stream from tickets.

CCTV cams are not maintained. Some are, most are not. There is an entire street near me where 6 CCTV cams are now pointing right down to the ground, recording nothing. They’ve been that way for nearly 2 years. As luck would have it, it’s where the police set up road blocks. 

5 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

It's about bloody time.

All these lunatics on the road continually breaking the law because they only have a small fine to pay.

My wife regularly gets speeding tickets, which I pay, take her licence away I say and all the others that choose to break the law.

Why don't you just close the wallet. i'm sure she will see it your way

in double quick time. :whistling:

16 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

12 points? In 1 year? Most Thai drivers commit 12 points in half a day.

There does not appear to be anything anywhere which says 12 points in a year. It says 12 points period. That means you could generate those 12 infractions over 20 years, and you will lose your license and need to go to traffic school.

I would be happy to be proven wrong, but neither the OP nor the Sanook report it is based on gave any indication that points could ever be added back to your license once they were gone, except by attending traffic school.

Would a 5 year renewal count as a new license, resetting your points, or does it just import your existing record from your current license?  More details would be nice.

15 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Seems a bit harsh to be going around taking alcholics’ vehicles. 

After so many DUI in California you have to install an IID Ignition Interlock device in your car at your own expense. $150 to install and $60-80

USD every month that you are required to blow start you car.

Before you start your caryou must blow into the IID and provide an alcohol-free breath sample. If you don't, your car will not start. Once you are driving, the IID will ask for random samples, between 5-15 minutes after you begin driving and then about every 45 minutes thereafter.

they will impound your vehicle if no on is around or no one has a DL or everyone has been drinking.

2 minutes ago, DJ54 said:

After so many DUI in California you have to install an IID Ignition Interlock device in your car at your own expense. $150 to install and $60-80

USD every month that you are required to blow start you car.

Before you start your caryou must blow into the IID and provide an alcohol-free breath sample. If you don't, your car will not start. Once you are driving, the IID will ask for random samples, between 5-15 minutes after you begin driving and then about every 45 minutes thereafter.

they will impound your vehicle if no on is around or no one has a DL or everyone has been drinking.

This is Thailand.

Not the USA. :coffee1:

Yet another example of nape-of-the-neck thinking by a Thai department.

They have cherry-picked a single road safety facet from presumably Australia and think that it will in isolation have some effect in Thailand.

I would suggest they will be extremely disappointed.

For a system like this to work effectively there are several precepts that need to be in place.

A fully trained motoring police force.

A clear cut legal system that works effectively and quickly...free of corruption.

A well engineered road system that is clearly marked, signed and delineated.

A full, holistic national safety and transport policy that builds safe roads and a safe transport environment. Thailand has none of this.

As successive Thai authorities have never demonstrated any knowledge of these factors, I fail to see how this little piece of speculative legislation will have anything more than a superficial effect.

13 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

... Any foreigner getting a fine in the post back home after visiting Thailand would laugh their heads off.  ...

I can imagine a nice post card with an exotic picture captioned "Thank you for visiting Thailand".  On the back, "You owe us 5,000 Baht fine.  Pay up."

What is a cop waves you through a red light? Happened to me on numerous occasions.

Do you have A licence to drive. Police overrun any other signs ore signal. Don’t you now.
Every time I visit Thailand I see foreigners/expats who have no clue.
Drunk driving most common. Same as Thais.
For me myself tourist.. Driving without helmet, no drivers license, no plate on the bike. Regulation I never ever wold dare to break in my own country.
Time for Thailand to enter a safer and more regulated world, I welcome it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

1 hour ago, stanleycoin said:

This is Thailand.

Not the USA. 

Yep it’s Thailand the poster said seems a little bit harsh so I gave an example.Most countries have stricter harsher laws in place.

Lived in China 10+ years CCTV cameras if your caught parking illegally a fine is sent in mail, Zero tolerance. Until China tweaked 

their point systems a lot of people have a license but no car. 

Someone racks up to many points pays the guy DL no vehicle money to put ticket on his DL. Now whoever picture is captured 

has to pay the fine.

I think the arrival of a Number Plate Recognition Nationwide would be Fun. By Mid Day the Sun Headlines would be THAILAND TAILBACK HORROR. Nothing will change here, the mass of Indigenous dont care realy. i have been told by Thais, its up to You to look after yourself here, its no one elses job.You Western folk Sue ,the Council if you trip up not looking where you step.

18 hours ago, bluesofa said:

From the TV documentaries I've seen recently about the police in the UK, if they stop someone for an offence who are on holiday using a foreign licence, the police seem to have to power to collect an 'on the spot fine', ensuring the fine is paid.

I'm surprised the RTP haven't gone down this route. There again, planning isn't exactly their strong point.

I thought collecting on the spot fines was their forte. 

10 hours ago, Benmart said:

The missing link in this entire scenario is a well trained, well paid, well regulated, accountable to the public police force. All the laws, edicts, appeals, laments, photo ops, cartoonic depictions and hand wringing is pointless. Disband and start from scratch. Singapore did similar and are light years ahead of this clown factory.

Inasmuch as Singapore being streets ahead, I do recall getting 2 speeding and 3 parking tickets while I was working there back in 1995. The tickets were mailed to the owner of the car I was renting and I never, ever saw a cop let alone a police patrol car.

Now, what are you saying about having police do their jobs? The Thais are rolling out an AUTOMATED ticketing system that obviates the need for any sort of standing or driving plod intervention or attempted fleecing at the ad hoc traffic stop.

It is a work in progress but as we are all aware, nothing is ever good or fast enough for the peripatetic Thai bashers.

21 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

funny,  as i recall growing up in America, you started with zero points, get 12 and ur license was suspended, LOL

Lost my license a few times for  spinning wheels and drag racing

18 hours ago, Moonlover said:

What's the difference between accumulating points from 0 to 12 and having point deducted from 12 to 0?

4 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

Six of one, half a dozen of the other. 

Exactly! I wondered how long it would be before someone realized that.

I've just received a traffic fine by post. 500 baht for doing 132 km/hr in a 90 zone. No demerit points. In Oz, I think my licence would be suspended immediately. Severity is laughable.

Small problem. I sold the car two months before the offence, and I have a copy of the sales contract plus the transfers to my bank account to prove it. Apparently the new owner has not changed ownership in the Blue Book. Any suggestions on what to do next?

Archived