Points system for traffic offences passes NLR - foreigners renting to get fines in the post

rooster59

6 hours ago, Monomial said:

There does not appear to be anything anywhere which says 12 points in a year. It says 12 points period. That means you could generate those 12 infractions over 20 years, and you will lose your license and need to go to traffic school.

I would be happy to be proven wrong, but neither the OP nor the Sanook report it is based on gave any indication that points could ever be added back to your license once they were gone, except by attending traffic school.

Would a 5 year renewal count as a new license, resetting your points, or does it just import your existing record from your current license?  More details would be nice.

What ever it is, if they use photos for points and not seeing the driver, it is going to be a full disaster killing innocent automobile owners. That is almost like a defamation for accusing, but not knowing who was driving. Going to be a disaster anyway, as police will find this a huge money maker before they realize it is  Pandora's box.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, les Dennis said:

The fact that they have an allocated number of points for holding up an ambulance is astounding in itself.

Why is it astounding?

If a person is being rushed to hospital drivers should get out of the way.

In my country drivers do it as a matter of course but there is a penalty for failing to do so.

3 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

Why is it astounding?

In my country drivers do it as a matter of course but there is a penalty for failing to do so.

A penalty rarely enforced.

22 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Hard to believe that an ambulance can be a dangerously speeding pick up belching diesel trying to beat its competition to the accident. They need more clarity on that. 

Exactly.  The 'Just off the boaters' will be all outraged at anyone not moving over for an 'ambulance', but the term needs some limitations to exclude the many unofficial 'ambulances' that are nothing more than pick-up truck taxis with a flashing light racing to the scene of an accident hoping to score a commission from a hospital.

10 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

What ever it is, if they use photos for points and not seeing the driver, it is going to be a full disaster killing innocent automobile owners. That is almost like a defamation for accusing, but not knowing who was driving. Going to be a disaster anyway, as police will find this a huge money maker before they realize it is  Pandora's box.

A couple of years ago we went on a trip in my car with my wife’s family with my brother in law doing most of the driving.

On our return I received a small fine through the mail  for exceeding the speed limit.

Even though he had been driving there was no provision for the fine to be sent to him.

5 minutes ago, StevieAus said:
21 hours ago, les Dennis said:

The fact that they have an allocated number of points for holding up an ambulance is astounding in itself.

Why is it astounding?

It's astounding because we're talking about Thailand, not another country. IIRC, isn't the fine presently 500 Baht?

Recently I was in an ambulance taking someone to hospital. Inevitably, most of the traffic in front ignored the ambulance lights and siren, refusing to move out of the way.

——

22 hours ago, smedly said:

and how about getting into the modern world and allowing motorbikes over a certain engine size on tollways 600cc +

all other SEA countries and in the west allow large motorbikes on motorways - Thailand claims to be a modern hub and leader and yet their traffic laws are still from the 1970's

I agree smedly, but setting a 600cc minimum engine size is as ridiculous as the current exclusion rule.  My trusty 2014 NInja 300 has zero problem cruising at legal—and above—speed limits all day long, even lugging my big 'fuh-lang' arse along with my petite Thai gf as well.  In fact, any 250cc motorbike has the oomph to effortlessly sustain legal motorway speeds here, so no reason to exclude them.

Now then, there is the safety issue courtesy of your typical kamikaze Thai pilot crouched behind the handlebars.  Maybe it would be a good idea to have to show the driver's license upon entering the motorway.

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

I've just received a traffic fine by post. 500 baht for doing 132 km/hr in a 90 zone. No demerit points. In Oz, I think my licence would be suspended immediately. Severity is laughable.

Small problem. I sold the car two months before the offence, and I have a copy of the sales contract plus the transfers to my bank account to prove it. Apparently the new owner has not changed ownership in the Blue Book. Any suggestions on what to do next?

Absolutely Sod All. Enjoy.!:drunk:

23 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Only one point deducted for going through a red light? Seems ridiculously lenient to me.

... watch out for maybe some news soon.

clown on a motorbike 80milgs blood alchohol nearly one year ago now decided to make a irrational decision to overtake as I was already in a turning right manoeuvre to cross a canal bridge in Chiang Mai. 

He flew out from a blind spot noticed at last minute, slammed on the brake he then hit the very front end of the outside wing. 

He’s looking for compensation (can’t make this shit up), told the police due to his insurance not paying out due to him being over the limit then why in name should I be responsible, this would give a green light for everyone to carry on drinking and driving as they would then pursue the innocent party whom due to their reckless driving while intoxicated.

so now the police report is saying the accident was caused by me driving carelessly, yes unbelievable what ? 

Next stop Top I have to visit the Public Prosecutor in another ten days to see if they are going to send it before a judge. 

So so maybe I need a good media outlet should this farce go all the way. ‘Dumbstruck’ as to the situation is well as it is ! 

On 2/23/2019 at 10:05 AM, holy cow cm said:

12 points? In 1 year? Most Thai drivers commit 12 points in half a day.

And the winner who hits the magic number of 100 points per week, will be presented on TV, and receive a basket of Essence of Chicken, unless Big Joke is occupied with other photo sessions.

35 minutes ago, Jimbo in Thailand said:

——

I agree smedly, but setting a 600cc minimum engine size is as ridiculous as the current exclusion rule.  My trusty 2014 NInja 300 has zero problem cruising at legal—and above—speed limits all day long, even lugging my big 'fuh-lang' arse along with my petite Thai gf as well.  In fact, any 250cc motorbike has the oomph to effortlessly sustain legal motorway speeds here, so no reason to exclude them.

Now then, there is the safety issue courtesy of your typical kamikaze Thai pilot crouched behind the handlebars.  Maybe it would be a good idea to have to show the driver's license upon entering the motorway.

I understand your points but respectfully disagree, it is not about top speed (a scooter will eventually hit 120kph) or what you think is an acceptable cruising speed, it is about stability - acceleration - braking etc. not having to drive on the edge of the machines ability which could also include a passenger (as you mention), there are many factors involved, I have ridden many bikes over the years and would feel exposed on anything less than 600cc especially 2 up, but just my opinion mate, 250cc 300cc just doesn't cut it, 400cc 500cc maybe but you are on the limit IMO

be safe out there 

38 minutes ago, mindfulness said:

clown on a motorbike 80milgs blood alchohol nearly one year ago now decided to make a irrational decision to overtake as I was already in a turning right manoeuvre to cross a canal bridge in Chiang Mai. 

He flew out from a blind spot noticed at last minute, slammed on the brake he then hit the very front end of the outside wing. 

He’s looking for compensation (can’t make this shit up), told the police due to his insurance not paying out due to him being over the limit then why in name should I be responsible, this would give a green light for everyone to carry on drinking and driving as they would then pursue the innocent party whom due to their reckless driving while intoxicated.

so now the police report is saying the accident was caused by me driving carelessly, yes unbelievable what ? 

Next stop Top I have to visit the Public Prosecutor in another ten days to see if they are going to send it before a judge. 

So so maybe I need a good media outlet should this farce go all the way. ‘Dumbstruck’ as to the situation is well as it is ! 

oh dear, sorry to hear of your troubles - you clearly did nothing wrong but you are farang in Thailand - unfortunately that may disqualify you from fair play

45 minutes ago, mindfulness said:

A dash cam may well have helped stop the BS.

if it was in dash cam view. :jap:

2 hours ago, Kinnock said:

Exactly.  The 'Just off the boaters' will be all outraged at anyone not moving over for an 'ambulance', but the term needs some limitations to exclude the many unofficial 'ambulances' that are nothing more than pick-up truck taxis with a flashing light racing to the scene of an accident hoping to score a commission from a hospital.

Yep! anyone that has been here any length of time knows that the "Private" ambulances - out to make money in the majority of cases, are recent additions to the roads, not like "My country" where the ambulances are either "government" sanctioned or from government hospitals - Big difference.

Sure the body snatchers will be happy with the new "laws"

1 hour ago, mindfulness said:

motorbike 80milgs blood alchohol

1 hour ago, mindfulness said:

him being over the limit then why in name should I be responsible

Yes, why are you at blame.

Its probably going to cost you but don't budge.

If this makes the media there will be some very embarrassed Thais.

I know if this happened back home the bike rider would be at fault, he shouldn't have been riding on public roads in his condition (DUI)

1 hour ago, smedly said:

there are many factors involved, I have ridden many bikes over the years and would feel exposed on anything less than 600cc especially 2 up, but just my opinion mate, 250cc 300cc just doesn't cut it, 400cc 500cc maybe but you are on the limit IMO

Would be logical to allow 400cc and up, as that is where the license requirement for big bikes has been set...

On 2/23/2019 at 9:49 AM, rooster59 said:

They will lose points for each infraction - Sanook said this could be one point for going through a red light and three for not getting out of the way of an ambulance, for example.

Serious infractions should eat more points IMO, why is blocking an ambulance somehow more serious than going through red lights?

Imagine a driver speeding straight through a red light, smashing into several vehicles. Multiple deaths are quite likely. I would say worth 6 points.

Now imagine a <deleted>, not moving over for an emergency vehicle. A terrible thing to do but hardly dangerous to other drivers. I would say it's worth getting a slap, with immunity from the law for anyone who gets the prick first...

4 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Inasmuch as Singapore being streets ahead, I do recall getting 2 speeding and 3 parking tickets while I was working there back in 1995. The tickets were mailed to the owner of the car I was renting and I never, ever saw a cop let alone a police patrol car.

Now, what are you saying about having police do their jobs? The Thais are rolling out an AUTOMATED ticketing system that obviates the need for any sort of standing or driving plod intervention or attempted fleecing at the ad hoc traffic stop.

It is a work in progress but as we are all aware, nothing is ever good or fast enough for the peripatetic Thai bashers.

Firstly various police have been issuing speeding tickets by post for ages.

"that obviates the need for any sort of standing or driving plod intervention or attempted fleecing at the ad hoc traffic stop."

No it won't because any "automated" system will carry an option for "appeal" or some form of court procedure which still leaves the door open for all sorts of shenanigans.

furthermore the system for issuing the tickets may well be overridden by "friends" of offenders.

Another problem is that the roads ae so badly marked and laid out and the positioning of various monitoring devices is likely to be so unprofessional that any offenses may be questionable or even totally wrongly recorded.

One also needs a thorough monitoring and calibrating system for these devices that is totally independent from the police.

Thailand is Soooooooooooooo far off establishing these kind of systems that any points/demerits system on licenses will just reduce to a farce.

there is simply no infrastructure to operate such a system.

On 2/23/2019 at 11:51 AM, bluesofa said:

From the TV documentaries I've seen recently about the police in the UK, if they stop someone for an offence who are on holiday using a foreign licence, the police seem to have to power to collect an 'on the spot fine', ensuring the fine is paid.

I'm surprised the RTP haven't gone down this route. There again, planning isn't exactly their strong point.

I think those on the spot fines here go right in their pockets lol

On 2/23/2019 at 12:06 PM, AGareth2 said:

crossing the lines

500 bht 3 times!

paid at the ATM

cameras!

notice came by post

now why is the car in my name!?

Frigging postman can't even find my house,always taking trips to P O then what happens if fines are not paid ?:coffee1:

10 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Frigging postman can't even find my house,always taking trips to P O then what happens if fines are not paid ?:coffee1:

They're sent by EMS, IIRC.

EMS must be the cream of the Post Office staff - they can always find the house if they need a signature.

7 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I've just received a traffic fine by post. 500 baht for doing 132 km/hr in a 90 zone. No demerit points. In Oz, I think my licence would be suspended immediately. Severity is laughable.

Small problem. I sold the car two months before the offence, and I have a copy of the sales contract plus the transfers to my bank account to prove it. Apparently the new owner has not changed ownership in the Blue Book. Any suggestions on what to do next?

I think there's advice on what you, the vehicles previous owner, should do to get the ticket to the new owner already printed on these tickets? One could also drop by the local plod depot and get it from the horses mouth so to speak.

12 hours ago, wilcopops said:

... As successive Thai authorities have never demonstrated any knowledge of these factors, I fail to see how this little piece of speculative legislation will have anything more than a superficial effect.

I have been kicking the can around Thailand's highways and byways for a tad over 40 years and it is a WHOLE LOT different now from back then when insurance was unknown (why pay for something that may never happen?) and the cops did find EVERY foreigner to be guilty regardless of what the brain-dead law local breaker in the other car did. The biggest changes over the past 3 to 5 years coincide with the roll out of cctv, the progressive linkage between paying fines and being able to pay road tax and traffic stops where you cannot bung the single cop a few reddies. Yes, there's still a slew of locals who don't have a driving license or a clue but their numbers are dwindling and pretty soon may be surpassed by the amount of foreign driving experts without a driving license or a clue.

The changes in the law mentioned in the OP are the first in almost as long as I have been flaunting them here! If you hang around here long enough, you will reap the benefits of these incremental but undeniably faster evolving changes. You may even get to post something positive about them as well but somehow I doubt you will.

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

What happens back home when YOU somehow miss the traffic ticket in the post? YOU still get fined. They don't listen to any excuses like the address is wrong and they bump up YOUR fine.

Initially in Thailand, you will be prevented from paying your annual road tax. Then you are faced with the choice of getting legal or carrying on being clever and driving (more) illegally.

4 hours ago, DavisH said:

How can one lose points if they don't have a licence to begin with? Just pay a small fine and ride off into the sunset?

And how they mail you a ticket when you don’t have a number plate on your vehicle?

Mine fell off around 6 months ago and I’m in no hurry to replace it. Loads of Thais don’t have number plates, especially new cars. 

Good idea BUT driving without a license is only a 500 baht fine so not really a big drama to loose points.

so hardly a good idea, instead of coming up with ideas what about just taking systems that work in most western countries and implementing it? 

While at it, make driving schools do lessons on actual roads instead of football fields

Archived