Tourist finds "mystery tunnel" on Koh Samui

rooster59

Tourist finds "mystery tunnel" on Koh Samui

aHR0cHM6Ly9zLmlzYW5vb2suY29tL25zLzAvdWQvMTUzNy83Njg5MDcwLzkuanBn.jpg

Image: Sanook

Authorities went to investigate in the Mae Nam area of Koh Samui after a tourist found what Sanook called a "mystery tunnel".

It was 100 meters long, 3.5 meters wide and 5 meters high and went from one side of Ban Tai hill to the other. 

All manner of authorities were soon investigating. 

It was determined that this was private land bought by a developer from a local. 

The tunnel was probably built ten years ago as part of a hotel development that was subsequently abandoned. 

While the land was purchased legally the authorities are investigating if the tunnel was constructed according to the law. 

The tourist who found it has been trekking in the area and took pictures of the tunnel that was barred by a fence.

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-02-23

4dscf0514_1550846314.jpg

4dscf0568_1550846315.jpg

4dscf0576_1550846313.jpg

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

Authorities went to investigate in the Mae Nam area of Koh Samui after a tourist found what Sanook called a "mystery tunnel".

Good job the finder didn't discover it during the rainy season, sparking an international rescue effort.

Some of the points of law that must be adhered to.

Taking into consideration the thickness of the walls then the internal diameter must be less than the external diameter.

The above applies to the full length of the tunnel to ensure the 'hole' is the full length of the tunnel.

Each and every local authority must have a standard length of tunnel on the books.

If the tunnel does not conform to the standard length it must be clearly marked as a 'long tunnel' or a 'short tunnel.' This saves walking with a tape in the future for confirmation.

All tunnels must be as close to horizontal as possible. Depending on angle they may have to conform to the rules for shafts. Any large deviation from the horizontal

( to be decided locally ) may result in the tunnel engineers being 'shafted'

Oh, this is an old story dating some 10+ years back, when locals in the western part of Maenam Bay complained about mysterious sounds and low frequency vibrations, like someone was doing mining under the hills, by reader's letters to one of the local printed papers at that time. I followed the articles with interest.

One of my friends, a real estate developer, whom I asked if he had heard anything about this, listened with interest, but could not come up with any explanation. He however said that was going the have a meeting with the islands "big boss" in a few days, and would ask him about it.

A few days later my friend told me that its true with the mysterious sounds, like someone is doing mining under the hills. Actually someone bought one of the tunnel boring machines used during the now finished construction of the first underground line up in Bangkok, and had it taken apart and moved to Samui, to bore a private tunnel to the beach. The authorities was well aware of it, and had given permission. Apparently it's one of the richest men in the World that bought a land plot by the beach, and even there is a road access, he wished a second choice, and therefore having a tunnel made; he was said to be a bit paranoid about escape, and never stayed anywhere without a back-up exit.

I had noticed that there where parked a gray US-registered private jet at Samui Airport for quite long time; but some few times there was two identical gray private jets parked next to each other, that should be when the "tunnel owner" visited his coming project. However, both jets disappeared, and the quite large landplot came up for sale, so seemed like the owner got bored of his bore-project, or just changed his mind about Samui.

The tunnel has in periods been used by both locals and expats for beach access, and photos have been shared before here in Thaivisa's forum.

Not that much of a "mystery" anymore...????

One of the oddest things on Samui, a Tunnel at Ban Tai beach!

I ventured up to see where this "hole in the wall" went.... basically nowhere!!!.... one has to wonder why it was constructed ?

2013-03-26-430.jpg

Other end

2013-03-26-431.jpg

Short walk up from beach! Great view!

2013-03-26-438.jpg

Source: @samuijimmy 26th March 2013, See original post here.

3 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Could be a secret exit from Hitler's Berlin bunker? The nazi gold might be hidden on the island, probably the only place in the world no one thought of....remains to find the rest of the tunnel though,,,

Nah. The train with all the gold on is in a tunnel about 100 metres to the right, or maybe to the left. This tunnel is a decoy, but, keep that quiet, I didn't tell you.

Khaosod English also has an article about it, speculation that the tunnel "could have been constructed for drainage"...

TOURISTS DRAWN TO LIGHT AT END OF SAMUI TUNNEL (VIDEO)

tunnel-1-696x399.jpg

SURAT THANI — Jungle-trekking tourists have discovered a mysterious mountain tunnel on Koh Samui.

Local officials Friday were investigating the origins of a 100-meter concrete tunnel discovered by tourists in the island’s Mae Nam subdistrict.

Approximately three meters in diameter, its entrance leads from a forested jungle area through about 100 meters of darkness. Walk to its end to find a beautiful vista of the ocean...

Full article and video here.

12 hours ago, overherebc said:

Some of the points of law that must be adhered to.

Taking into consideration the thickness of the walls then the internal diameter must be less than the external diameter.

The above applies to the full length of the tunnel to ensure the 'hole' is the full length of the tunnel.

Each and every local authority must have a standard length of tunnel on the books.

If the tunnel does not conform to the standard length it must be clearly marked as a 'long tunnel' or a 'short tunnel.' This saves walking with a tape in the future for confirmation.

All tunnels must be as close to horizontal as possible. Depending on angle they may have to conform to the rules for shafts. Any large deviation from the horizontal

( to be decided locally ) may result in the tunnel engineers being 'shafted'

Pass that joint,you've had enough now.

why is a farang walking around other peoples land. He hasnt heard that a tresspass can get you deported and banned? Truthfully im terrified of this issue and have almost been in trouble already just fixing my own fences. Perfectly fine for thais to wonder through my fenced properties though with the police never showing an interest.

36 minutes ago, unamazedloso said:

why is a farang walking around other peoples land. He hasnt heard that a tresspass can get you deported and banned? Truthfully im terrified of this issue and have almost been in trouble already just fixing my own fences. Perfectly fine for thais to wonder through my fenced properties though with the police never showing an interest.

Keep fixing those fences as they will be cutting your trees down next. Happened to me in Khanom twice, Samui twice. Proper nightmare......

More in the news trying to solve the mystery...????

w6-696x414.jpg

SAMUI TUNNEL LINKED TO VIRGIN ISLANDS FIRM from Khasosod English

KOH SAMUI — The ownership of a tunnel whose origins have stumped Samui officials for a week have been traced in part to a company registered in the Caribbean.

The 100-meter tunnel, which may have been built illegally, has become something of a puzzle on the southern island since it was discovered Friday. Officials said Wednesday that it’s located on land owned by a company registered in Bangkok, a third of which is owned by a company registered in the British Virgin Islands.

The tunnel near the beach in the Mae Nam subdistrict belongs to the Baan Tai Beach Co. Ltd., whose shareholders include Thai-naturalized Westerners and a company registered in the British Virgin Islands, a popular tax shelter.

Read more...

Archived