Tourist finds "mystery tunnel" on Koh Samui

rooster59

13 minutes ago, khunPer said:

{snipped}

The tunnel near the beach in the Mae Nam subdistrict belongs to the Baan Tai Beach Co. Ltd., whose shareholders include Thai-naturalized Westerners and a company registered in the British Virgin Islands, a popular tax shelter.

Looks more like a popular bad weather shelter to me.

On 2/23/2019 at 3:13 PM, khunPer said:

Oh, this is an old story dating some 10+ years back, when locals in the western part of Maenam Bay complained about mysterious sounds and low frequency vibrations, like someone was doing mining under the hills, by reader's letters to one of the local printed papers at that time. I followed the articles with interest.

One of my friends, a real estate developer, whom I asked if he had heard anything about this, listened with interest, but could not come up with any explanation. He however said that was going the have a meeting with the islands "big boss" in a few days, and would ask him about it.

A few days later my friend told me that its true with the mysterious sounds, like someone is doing mining under the hills. Actually someone bought one of the tunnel boring machines used during the now finished construction of the first underground line up in Bangkok, and had it taken apart and moved to Samui, to bore a private tunnel to the beach. The authorities was well aware of it, and had given permission. Apparently it's one of the richest men in the World that bought a land plot by the beach, and even there is a road access, he wished a second choice, and therefore having a tunnel made; he was said to be a bit paranoid about escape, and never stayed anywhere without a back-up exit.

I had noticed that there where parked a gray US-registered private jet at Samui Airport for quite long time; but some few times there was two identical gray private jets parked next to each other, that should be when the "tunnel owner" visited his coming project. However, both jets disappeared, and the quite large landplot came up for sale, so seemed like the owner got bored of his bore-project, or just changed his mind about Samui.

The tunnel has in periods been used by both locals and expats for beach access, and photos have been shared before here in Thaivisa's forum.

Not that much of a "mystery" anymore...????

Source: @samuijimmy 26th March 2013, See original post here.

That tunnel doesn't look like it has been done by a boring machine. That is a big tunnel and boring machines are huge and heavy. Also, how would they get it to Samui?

I think it must have been Thunderbird 2 with the Mole machine. 

download.jpg

2 minutes ago, Snow Leopard said:

That tunnel doesn't look like it has been done by a boring machine. That is a big tunnel and boring machines are huge and heavy. Also, how would they get it to Samui?

I think it must have been Thunderbird 2 with the Mole machine. 

download.jpg

Yeah, yeah. OK Brains...

In another news-thread today about the mysterious tunnel, a former resident of the area posted a photo with the text...

"What I do not understand is why a tourist tells the authorities that he has found a tunnel at the end of a private road. I lived on the private road when the tunnel was built in 2005, meant to build houses facing the water but was abandoned, but it gave me a shortcut to the beach."

F725DF9F-9DF9-4818-BBD1-AE34F8802D82.jpeg.c37ec3f0e29a92ae3c86e30d719ee0aa.jpeg

See the full Thaivisa news-thread here...

On 2/28/2019 at 7:16 PM, balo said:

The tunnel was built in 2005 and the local Thais just learned about it last month ? Expats living there knew about this tunnel for more than 10 years. Very strange indeed.

TIT ????

On 2/28/2019 at 7:16 PM, balo said:

The tunnel was built in 2005 and the local Thais just learned about it last month ? Expats living there knew about this tunnel for more than 10 years. Very strange indeed.

It must be a lack of spatial awareness.

Archived